Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Balder's Gate III  (Read 7553 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
on: October 07, 2020, 11:22:05 AM
Anyone jump on this yet? Asking for a friend....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 12:21:09 PM
Mrs B does want it. She played all the original games a lot, but no way at present with that price tag.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:00:48 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 01:44:46 PM
I'm waiting for the price to go down and a little more work to be put into it. Besides, I just started Divenity:Original Sin 2 and that's enough of a BG fix while I wait.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 02:25:09 PM
I just bought XW Squadrons and CKIII.  Neither are quite doing it for me.  Not like the old days when I could spend countless hours on a computer game.

But Baldur's Gate III has me very, very interested.  I remember spending too many hours playing the first two...

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 05:05:06 PM
BG3 is at the top of my Steam and GOG wishlists, but I'm waiting for a price drop and further development as well.  With all the other games I have to play -- including several RPG's I've yet to really dig into *tries to ignore PoE2 and DOS2 giving me the puppy-dog eyes* -- I'm thoroughly set for the time being. 

I am pretty jazzed for BG3, though.  Despite what I said above, holding off on getting it is going to take some willpower.  :D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 06:20:12 PM
I added it to my wishlist as well. I played through BG1 a year or so ago and finished it for the first time; I then started a game of BG2 which historically I never got that far into. BG3? For $60? Pass. At least, for now. I usually add things to my wishlist just to see if it drops in price.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 11:30:53 PM
Same here. Unless I see Minsc and Boo show-up, then I'm all in. I do hope they turn this game into something special but so far... :oh:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 07:10:54 PM
I recently finished the early access content (chapter 1).

I really enjoy the game. It has a nice, in-depth D&D-based combat system, with plenty of environmental effects and factors.

You run a 4-man party, although if you have more NPCs then they can still join your party and just wait at your camp.

The storyline itself is a bit odd and dark, and I don't love it, but the rest of the game is great.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:45:26 PM
Great to hear.  :fingerscrossed:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:42 PM
Thanks, TTC!  At this point, I'm pretty much just waiting for a decent sale. 

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:37 PM
Thanks, TTC!  At this point, I'm pretty much just waiting for a decent sale.

Better than a sale for me--my wife wanted to buy it!

It hearkened us back to the old days, before kids, when we would play Might & Magic, Wizardry, and even a little early WOW. She lets me run the combat, we make the bigger decisions and conversational choices together, and she is in charge of selling, re-provisioning, and reorganizing after each adventure.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:46:55 PM
I lost damned-near a year of my whole life when the first Might & Magic came-out. Well worth it.  :notworthy:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 02:20:47 AM
I confess I've not played any of the Might & Magic games, at least in part because I heard so little about them when I was younger.  (I mostly only knew about the more popular franchises like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.)  On the rare occasions the M&M series comes up in conversation, however, it's usually in a positive light. 

She lets me run the combat, we make the bigger decisions and conversational choices together, and she is in charge of selling, re-provisioning, and reorganizing after each adventure.

Nice!  Sounds like you two have a good system in place.  :bigthumb: 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 09:25:58 AM
I confess I've not played any of the Might & Magic games, at least in part because I heard so little about them when I was younger.  (I mostly only knew about the more popular franchises like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.)  On the rare occasions the M&M series comes up in conversation, however, it's usually in a positive light. 

M&M, especially the early versions, were extremely unforgiving. You can still buy them as a package super cheap, but it's definitely a challenge. Not to mention the GUI being extremely ancient to someone that's not played it before. But, it's reasonable enough price-wise to warrant a look, I think.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 10:26:53 AM
Agreed. They were very much, 'ground-breaking' in their day but would be a slog to play today. A couple of years ago, I picked-up the whole Gold Box series at GOG and couldn't wait to play them again. Then after struggling against the ancient UI I just gave up. I still miss them though.  :brokenheart: