Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TS Strategy Wargames  (Read 7830 times)

judgedredd

on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:23 PM
Bob pointed this company out last year sometime. I looked through their games and wanted one or two, but didn't take the punt at the time.

However, I remembered about them today and decided to take a punt. There's very, very little info on the games on their website - and they could definitely do with some assistance in that regard. But I thought these two might fit

I have both these areas of operations - but they looked tidy - and for £25 each...anyway - as we're not in Europe anymore, we'll see if I get them in time for the next unboxing

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 02:13:55 PM
word, yo!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 02:46:21 PM
I got to say - I'm a little wary. £25 for a game seems ridiculous and the components and maps look great...makes you wonder what they're doing different.

I guess we'll see  ;D

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 02:55:09 PM
Hmm, that reminds me. I ordered their Pacific game back in November and haven't heard a peep since then.  :waiting:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:18:58 PM
Hmm, that reminds me. I ordered their Pacific game back in November and haven't heard a peep since then.  :waiting:

makes you wonder how much long you wouldn't've noticed if JD didn't say anything  :whistle:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 03:46:04 PM
Probably would have been reminded when he did the unboxings.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 04:48:03 PM
Probably would have been reminded when he did the unboxings.  :D
If I get my games  :whistle:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 06:32:01 PM

Geez, what did they charge for shipping?

25 Euros is pretty reasonable but I bet shipping is at least that if not more.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 07:05:04 PM
Yeah, see that's just the thing. I think that's why I haven't heard anything. The order went through and showed shipping to be around $13.00.
I guess it's possible that it's just not shipping yet. I guess it's time to inquire. 

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 01:51:54 AM
Shipping on mine was £16

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 06:03:53 AM
Does that include all the new tariffs and VAT charges?

They do have several games that I like the look of, so I'll be interested to hear what you say about the quality of the games.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:02:39 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 02:32:10 PM
I have no idea if there will be further costs...I'm going to have to wait and see. All I paid them was €66 which was about £60

I'll let you know when they get here.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 01:53:12 PM
With JD having kindly passed these on to me, I have been putting some effort into learning the system. Its actually not bad, and is, as JD had pointed out in his 'Unboxing' articles, a pretty standard 'IGYG' type system.

I've not done much with the Market Garden game yet since I was especially eager to look at Kasserine as its always been a subject of interest to me.

I should first mention that these game, and several more, use a common core system, and have, in fact, been in existence for several years. As JD has already noted, the components are not bad at all for what are, in fact, budget games.

I did find a few issues that perplexed me in the rules, but most of these seem to be due to translation from Polish, and a couple of questions I asked on their FB page were answered very quickly, although there are a couple questions that I have not yet had answers to.

Having said all that, I find it rather surprising that no errata seems to exist for the system or individual games, since errors and omissions there surely are, although no more that I've seen from better known publishers.

If and when I get some more reply's from them, I'll likely post an errata on BGG, although as far as I can see, the pages for these games are almost totally devoid of any posts at all. I suspect that this may be because the publisher is not at all well known outside of Europe. Until recently, I had not been aware of thier existence.

I shall report further in due course.

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 03:27:27 PM
Glad you managed to dust it off  :bigthumb:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 06:43:50 AM
I thought I would look at the initial set-up for the opening of the campaign which began on 14th September, 1943 with the envelopment of US forces around Sidi Bou Zid. This action is regarded as a perfect example of a mobile, combined arms, envelopment action.

Rommel had under command both the 10th and 21st Panzer Divisions plus a few smaller units which, in the game, includes the 502 sPzAbt (Independent Heavy Panzer Battalion). I think that this is wrong as the unit should be the 1st Company of the 501st, which at that time is reported to have 6 Tiger I's and 9 Pz III and was attached to 10the Pz Div. The other odd thing is that all mobile units in the game have a movement allowance of 7, except for recon which has a movement of 8. However, for some reason, the Tigers also have 8 MP which, given the fact that they usually moved at 12-15 mph seems a little strange. I suspect this should have been a 6.

Now, history tells us the Rommel organised his force into 4 kampfgruppe for the operation, sending one of them, consisting of 2 battalions of PzGren and 1 battalion of panzers on a 30 mile 'left hook' through Bir el Hafey. In the game, there are only 2 set-up areas, 'X' for 10th Pz and 'Z' for 21st Pz. On the map, and south of Bir el Hafey, is another area, 'Y' which is not referred to at all in the scenario details. I very strongly suspect that KG Reimann should be set up here as it is impossible to recreate the 'left hook' on the first day if all units of 21st Pz start at area 'Z' .

Anyway, I'll give it a try using my revised set-up and see how it plays out.