Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: VICTORIA 3!  (Read 26020 times)

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #45 on: August 14, 2021, 05:39:18 PM
This will be the year of the crying wallet

I thought that was an annual rite?!  :o

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #46 on: September 09, 2021, 03:14:48 PM

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 11:56:08 PM
A discussion of Markets, Infrastructure, Employment, and Treasury.  Martin Anward still has an eminently punchable  face. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #48 on: September 16, 2021, 12:05:31 PM

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #49 on: September 16, 2021, 01:01:16 PM
I was wondering how they were going to approach the topic. Honestly, with a game like Victoria, I can't think of any other way to handle it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #50 on: October 19, 2021, 02:48:58 PM
A look at internal politics: 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #51 on: November 09, 2021, 05:32:28 PM
Last week's Dev Diary (#22) takes a look at warfare.  Looks like they're taking a different approach with Vicky 3: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-22-the-concept-of-war.1496459/

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #52 on: November 16, 2021, 07:33:09 PM
November update: 

Rank & Prestige (0:25)
Relations, Infamy, & Interests (2:10)
Diplomatic Actions (5:45)
Diplomatic Plays (9:00)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #53 on: April 20, 2022, 11:08:30 AM
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/developer-thoughts-on-the-victoria-3-leak.1521391/

minutes ago
Add bookmark
As the saying goes: We’re not mad, just disappointed.

Last week the Victoria 3 dev team was alerted that streams of an in-development build of the game shared with a small group of testers was being broadcast within a small online community. As these things go, this footage quickly ended up in public. As hype grew around the leaked video so did demands for more, and before long links to download a cracked version of the leaked build started getting shared around.

We understand you’re excited about the game - we are too, and we’re anxious to share it with you properly! But there’s a reason why we haven’t yet launched Victoria 3 in open beta, Early Access, or similar. Yes, the game is technically in a playable state, but its current lack of balance and level of polish obscures many aspects of the mechanics and how they interrelate. Some interfaces are tedious or just not fun to engage with yet. It lacks a lot of crucial AI work, contains game-breaking bugs, and has only the most rudimentary tutorial and player guidance. Especially in an interconnected game like Victoria, just a single deficiency like that can have a negative domino effect on the whole experience of playing the game.

We can explain at length in dev diaries how our mechanics work and what our intentions with them are, but once you get a feel for how the game mechanics work in action, all those words lose their meaning. So when something isn’t fully realized in the game yet, you’re going to come away with an inaccurate impression of what we intend it to be. That’s not good for either of us, and it greatly damages our ability to have an open dialogue with you. If what you want is less interaction between developers and community and a more closely guarded development for future Paradox projects, then leaks like this are the single best way to try and make that happen.

We have (of course) read many of the posts community members have made since playing the leak, both positive and negative ones. Fact is, no matter how in-depth or insightful, none of them identify anything that’s new or surprising to us. Many of the concerns raised were already scheduled to be addressed in the development plan up to release. Even the most positive posts about how fun and engaging the game is even in an unbalanced, unpolished state are tainted with the knowledge that this first impression is still a let-down compared to what it ought to have been. For this reason, none of the feedback we’ve gotten as a result of the leak is really actionable or of any real use to us. It has mainly served as a hit to the team’s morale and a distraction from finishing the game, and in fact made it harder for us to act on your feedback, tainted as it is now by all the factors mentioned above.

Once the game has reached a state where we could really benefit from and respond to your feedback, we’ll be eager to be able to properly show it to you. Paradox has always maintained a quite open development process, and in the Victoria dev team we intend to double down on that responsiveness to community input because we think that’s what’s best for the game. But for that communication and trust to work, you have to also trust that if we’re not showing you something yet it’s because it really isn’t ready to be shown.

Before the leak, we were already looking forward to streaming the game in the near future, and to focus more on showing off in the game in motion, and we’re of course still planning to do this! We understand your curiosity and how excited you are for the game and what has happened isn’t going to change our focus on delivering a great game at release. However, while doing so, we can’t help feeling disappointed and demoralized by how all of this went down.

The Vicky 3 dev team

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #54 on: April 20, 2022, 11:24:17 AM
I dunno, it feels like they could've said "screw y'all; we're taking 2 weeks off to go to tahiti and when we come back we're going to finish the game with absolutely no more previews, early access, behind-the-scenes looks, or dev diaries and you're gonna have to deal with it for acting like a bunch of spoiled, self-entitled twats"

and I would've been totally OK with it and probably cheering them on for it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #55 on: April 20, 2022, 05:00:07 PM
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/developer-thoughts-on-the-victoria-3-leak.1521391/

We understand you’re excited about the game - we are too, and we’re anxious to share it with you properly! But there’s a reason why we haven’t yet launched Victoria 3 in open beta, Early Access, or similar. Yes, the game is technically in a playable state, but its current lack of balance and level of polish obscures many aspects of the mechanics and how they interrelate. Some interfaces are tedious or just not fun to engage with yet. It lacks a lot of crucial AI work, contains game-breaking bugs, and has only the most rudimentary tutorial and player guidance. Especially in an interconnected game like Victoria, just a single deficiency like that can have a negative domino effect on the whole experience of playing the game.

Hell. They might as well preserve this for their post-release statement. Given the post-release beta testing and bug patching Paradox normally does anyway.

It does stink that their beta testing was leaked and a build released. It's going to put additional pressure on the development team.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #56 on: April 21, 2022, 09:37:08 AM
I think they're very disappointed about the leaked copy.  But what's worse, is all of these idiots think they're helping by posting their issues in the forum. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #57 on: April 21, 2022, 07:07:11 PM
So PDXCON 2022 has been announced, and it's taking place the weekend of Sept. 2-3... 

During the video, Wiz announces (around the 2:20 mark) that 500 attendees will be among the first people to play Vicky 3 (those who have gotten their hands on the leaked version aside).  Given when the con is happening, it makes me wonder if the game isn't going to come out until next year now. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #58 on: April 22, 2022, 04:37:59 AM
I’d say so too if the first peek is September

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #59 on: April 22, 2022, 12:40:14 PM
During the video, Wiz announces (around the 2:20 mark) that 500 attendees will be among the first people to play Vicky 3 (those who have gotten their hands on the leaked version aside).  Given when the con is happening, it makes me wonder if the game isn't going to come out until next year now.

I was thinking a release during the holidays.  But your most likely correct after the first of the year.  Hard to support a new release during the holidays with staff on vacation.