Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !  (Read 195144 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #555 on: October 08, 2021, 09:26:15 PM
Not sure if its just me or if your recording levels are better this season? Either way I'm finding I'm able to listen to them easier in my headphones at work and still hear it clearly over all the noise. Beyond enjoying the content this  is much appreciated. There are a few other podcast I enjoy but the audio is recorded so low that even with my headphones turned all the way up I have a hard time hearing them talk.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #556 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:01 PM
we did change the way we're recording this season to something completely new

the setup is more of a hassle than before, but the results are definitely better

glad it's working out for you

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #557 on: October 15, 2021, 03:00:23 PM
Mentioned In Dispatches podcast – Season 7 Ep 5 – Amphibious Operations & Wargaming

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-5-amphibious-operations-wargaming/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #558 on: October 15, 2021, 03:26:24 PM
No, we are not channeling our inner Charles Shackleford and using both hands.

???  ;)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #559 on: October 15, 2021, 03:56:39 PM
no way I was letting an NC State reference slip thru

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #560 on: October 15, 2021, 10:35:06 PM
Brad Pitt’s Saving Private Ryan-inspired beach assault from Troy
As much as I enjoy the movie overall, the history nerd in me has always been bothered by certain aspects of that (although I recognize it would be unrealistic to expect any filmmaker to pay attention to this sort of detail): 

The single biggest reason Troy is supposed to be so wealthy and powerful is that its location allows it to control the approaches to the Helllespont/Dardanelles, and that it was a major port as well.  Yet in the film, we never see any sort of port or harbor to speak of.  Similarly, It appears that the Greek fleet lands on an open beach, rather than sailing into a bay or other protected body of water. 

Again, I realize it's a small thing overall, but it's always bothered me. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #561 on: October 18, 2021, 07:12:29 PM
Interesting discussion. It prompted me to order a copy of Beachhead and has me poking around the library.

Some of the debate about opposed vs unopposed amphibious was frustrating from a historical perspective although understandable given the gaming interest in tactical battles. One of the observations I was listening for but didn't hear was that despite the notorious reputation as the most complex or difficult operation...MOST amphibious operations are successful, and really only about 4-5 opposed ones weren't successful.

To the question of whether we're missing games on opposed landings, I'm not sure (yet). We're all looking at the comprehensive Wiki page...but it sadly doesn't break out which are opposed and which aren't. You've inspired me to dive into a couple of books that may present better answers:

- Merrill L. Barlett. Assault from the Sea: Essays on the History of Amphibious Warfare (Naval Institute Press)
- Theodore Gatchel. At the Water's Edge: Defending Against Amphibious Assault (Naval Institute Press)
- Timothy Heck and B.A. Friedman. On Contested Shores: The Evolving Role of Amphibious Operations in the History of Warfare (MCUP)
- D.J.B. Trim and Mark Charles Fissel, eds. Amphibious Warfare 1000-1700: Commerce, State Formation and European Expansion (Brill)

These reference MANY amphibious campaigns that were opposed at least at the tactical level...but more often at the operational. At the risk of being pedantic, the focus on the opposed landings at the beach tended to ignore a broader historical trend which is stopping the landings at the beach is incredibly hard...although you'd not get that feel from any of the DG D-Day at...games...but that sustained opposition at the next ridge(s) is what can doom a campaign too. That was the frustrating thing about Gallipoli where neither the ANZACs, the British, or the French got much further a short distance from the beaches.

As for missed historical ops...Japan vs China and Soviets vs Japan stick out as maybe worthy of treatment. There ARE a couple of games looking at China's amphibious attacks against Taiwan's offshore islands in the early 1950s. But mainly through Formosa Force Games.

Speaking of Formosa, the US was working hard on the invasion planning of Formosa which was supposed to happen before Okinawa (which, technically...wasn't opposed at the beach, fwiw)...that could be an interesting game. And I'm not sure we've ever had a good Red Storm Rising retread of the invasion of Iceland!

I would be greatly interested in seeing/thinking about a logistics game looking at transporting troops from the troop transports to the landing craft to the beach...

Long ranty post...but good episode. Thanks!

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #562 on: October 22, 2021, 08:58:06 AM
Mentioned in Dispatches S7E6 - bestselling author Matt Forbeck & his son/co-designer Marty Forbeck talk about their upcoming Kickstarter, and a LOT of other stuff

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-6-shotguns-sorcery-with-matt-marty-forbeck/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #563 on: October 29, 2021, 08:21:43 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #564 on: November 01, 2021, 09:28:10 PM
Our Mentioned in Dispatches Podcast Tackles the 2021 Compass Holiday Catalog

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-7-the-compass-games-2021-holiday-catalog/

This was a good episode.

I highly recommend Blue Water Navy.

And like you guys, I can't get interested in the solitaire/narrative games that Compass puts out (the Ace games, the naval games, the Bomber games, etc.).

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #565 on: November 05, 2021, 01:50:16 PM
Mentioned In Dispatches podcast – Season 7 Ep 8 – Hollandspiele

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-8-hollandspiele/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #566 on: November 13, 2021, 09:39:24 PM
Season 7 Ep 9 – The Charlies

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/unassembled-bag-of-parts-season-7-ep-9-the-charlies/

I listened to the first half last night, and the second half this evening; 'twas a most entertaining and erudite show.  :bigthumb: 

You know it's going to be good when even Brant ends up ranting a bit, despite sliding into his usual role as moderator (and being the "moderate" one).  :hehe:  Cyrano and Ardwulf were especially entertaining, of course, but everyone had some good points to make.  You guys said everything I could have, and much more. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

SofaKings

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #567 on: November 15, 2021, 07:23:13 AM
Our Mentioned in Dispatches Podcast Tackles the 2021 Compass Holiday Catalog

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-7-the-compass-games-2021-holiday-catalog/
Which Rommel game did Jim keep bringing up?

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #568 on: November 15, 2021, 12:39:58 PM
https://columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=3421

Never exceeded in my opinion.  Often available used for much less than MSRP.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #569 on: November 15, 2021, 01:30:29 PM
Season 7 Ep 9 – The Charlies

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/unassembled-bag-of-parts-season-7-ep-9-the-charlies/

I listened to the first half last night, and the second half this evening; 'twas a most entertaining and erudite show.  :bigthumb: 

You know it's going to be good when even Brant ends up ranting a bit, despite sliding into his usual role as moderator (and being the "moderate" one).  :hehe:  Cyrano and Ardwulf were especially entertaining, of course, but everyone had some good points to make.  You guys said everything I could have, and much more.

It was definitely a good listen.