Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Project Quatre Bras, Part I  (Read 3854 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: June 12, 2021, 06:46:29 PM
A wise man once said, "Never say anything more predictive than 'hey, watch this'."

Ok, so I took Jim's video of Saturday Night Fight's Project Quatre Bras, Part I (Yes, I did ask first.) and edited it down into a short (30min? Geeze, that's not short.), exciting (Pfft.), punchy (Well, I'm punchy) piece that is perfect if you don't want to spend 2 hours watching the original.

Consider this a request for comments, suggestions, and so forth:

Final version's up!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:37:40 PM by mcguire »

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:17:17 AM
Far from my finest hour, but a grand evening and gratifying nonetheless…

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:31:27 PM

I thought you handled the situation marvelously. Me, I'd have slunk away, moved to Mozambique, changed my name to Aloysius Q. Snerd, and started raising snails for a living. Besides, it's got the introduction to Project Quatre Bras and I'm going to do all of those videos.

Anyone have an Armchair Dragoons logo in png or svg to include in future videos? One thing academia taught me was that the more names you have on the paper, the fewer critics you have to contend with.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 10:58:04 PM

I thought you handled the situation marvelously. Me, I'd have slunk away, moved to Mozambique, changed my name to Aloysius Q. Snerd, and started raising snails for a living. Besides, it's got the introduction to Project Quatre Bras and I'm going to do all of those videos.

Anyone have an Armchair Dragoons logo in png or svg to include in future videos? One thing academia taught me was that the more names you have on the paper, the fewer critics you have to contend with.

ping me tomorrow and I can send something over to you

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 01:25:32 PM
Hey, look! Another video pre-release!

Yeah, this one is 40 minutes. It's like somebody needs to learn how to edit video.

Anyway, if you have comments and suggestions, it won't be too late until 6 Jul. (It's already too late for me.)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 02:55:48 PM
Good lord, they're breeding like rabbits!1

Actually, right at this moment, it's still processing. But it should be there soon.

Wednesday Night Warfare, Napoleon's Last Battles, Quatre Bras, Vance is a monster.  :biggrin:

This is a pre-release for comments and suggestions. It should go public next week.

1 That's an exaggeration. They're breeding like videos that show up every couple of weeks.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 12:33:13 AM
Yes, I'm late. I could say I was trying something new for the credits, but I'd be lying; I was playing a game.

Who am I kidding? I was beating my head against Synfig to make the easter egg at the end.

Should finish uploading shortly, and it'll go public next Tuesday.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 03:22:56 PM
It's live. And I have a subscriber! Thank you, whoever you are! I owe you a Maserati!

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 01:19:09 PM
And there's Commands and Colors: Napoleonics. Yay! No, no preview. Or goofy animation. Sorry.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 07:06:41 PM
Ok, so I was going to try to make a nifty poll to ask if anyone thought these videos were useful or at least not repulsive, and if there were any suggestions for improvement beyond "stop sucking". (Which is hard. That should be obvious from how I failed at polling.)

Anyway, what I'm trying to do with them is to turn Jim's excellent refereeing and camera-operator skills into something that not only isn't frighteningly long, but also shows both the flow of the game as well as the social interaction of the play. (Like pubic hair jokes.) Is that a worthwhile thing to want to do?

Is the audio good? Too loud? Too  quiet? Too much sound effects and nonsense? (I'm actually kind of proud of the stampeding horses---that's one Canadian horse going by, repeatedly overdubbed.)

Can you follow the game? (I mean, if you wanted to.) I've had to do a ton of jump-cuts to reduce the time taken by moves. Are they distracting? Nauseating?

The videos are longer than I would like, which may end up more of a problem since the next game is the two-episode Lasalle 2. And then there's the three-episode Shako 2 game. I'd really appreciate any suggestions for trimming the length; I don't really like the Little Wars-style of describing what happened during the game. Well, I do like their videos, but I don't like how the game itself disappears.

Oh, and if you have watched some of the videos, has the bleeding stopped?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 09:09:58 PM
let me watch a few this weekend and I'll try to get something more constructive back to you then

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 03:08:58 PM
let me watch a few this weekend and I'll try to get something more constructive back to you then

Oooh. I wouldn't watch too many at once.  :bitenails:

Thank you!