Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: My homemade system for pike and shot battles  (Read 3869 times)

Sedo

• Fresh Recruit
on: June 27, 2021, 08:20:48 PM
I linked to it in my Introduction post, but I thought this would be a good place to share the rules system I’ve developed for simulating battles of the pike and shot period. There are currently six battle scenarios, spanning the era, all with their own design notes and variants, and with many more to come:

https://portolangames.wordpress.com/home-2/cuius-regio/

The rules are completely components and basing agnostic. I've been using custom-made maps based on contemporary engravings, but the rules would work well with miniatures, especially small figure scales like 2mm or 6mm. You can see an example playthrough of the Battle of Dreux, which walks through how some of the rules work, here:

https://portolangames.wordpress.com/home-2/cuius-regio/dreux/dreux-example/

And another playthrough of the Battle of Dunbar here:

https://portolangames.wordpress.com/home-2/cuius-regio/the-battle-of-dunbar-1650/example-of-play-the-battle-of-dunbar-1650/

The goal was to develop a system that could handle entire large battles, with all individual maneuver units represented in some way. It shares a great deal of DNA with the Lost Battles system for ancients, and the line of descent should be evident to anyone who has played both.

The game attempts to show evolution in the shape and organization of armies, and the effective use of frontage and reserves. The focus is on command and morale, with differences in weapons and doctrine matter around the margins. If anyone here is willing to try one of the scenarios, I’d be very interested to learn how the game went and your thoughts and impressions of the system.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:20:27 AM
Thanks, will give this a try.
If you need scenario info, you may find Battles of the Thirty Years War, by W P Guthrie, useful.
It is out of print, so an inter library loan may be best.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 02:28:46 PM
I just spent an embarrassingly long time playing with the scroll wheel and your scenario links, by the way.  :)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd