Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON.....Advanced Squad Leader (ASL)  (Read 14656 times)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 03:28:25 PM
That's a good idea. Also, Tabletop Simulator would be good if nothing else than for the zoom feature. It would make reading those tiny counters even easier!

I haven't used TTS yet, but from what I've heard, it doesn't handle large stacks well, and most ASL players prefer VASL.  YMMV of course.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 06:08:25 PM
I have the Pacific starter kit. Might be a good reason to open it up.  :bigthumb:

Not to be discouraging, but you'll be jumping in the deep end of the SK pool and eating the whole SK 1, 2, 3, and 4 elephant with one bite.  Nothing wrong with that, but PTO has some significant differences from ETO.  These differences are really cool, but you have to change your playing style a little bit with PTO, so if you start here you'll have to learn some different things when you go back to SKs 1-3.  For example, Japanese generally don't break when they fail a morale check, and they are lethal in close combat.  SK4 also introduced concealment, which is only in effect in PTO.

Having said that - jump in - the water is great!

I also think you live in the DC area.  I've been active trying to get SK players into DC Conscripts, the local club.  Our next game day is tomorrow, and one of the veterans is going to give a little tutorial on close combat before the games begin.  I won't be there, but let me know if you want more information, or if you want to join my merry band of SK players for other game days at our houses (we had two games going on at my house last Saturday).  Or even if you want to play 1 on 1 sometime.

I'd only ever play the PTO stuff so it's okay. Thanks for the invite to play! I'm currently about 3 hours south of DC and not sure when I'll get back up there. Of course, after I retire next year it won't matter much.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #17 on: July 31, 2021, 01:35:33 PM
I've just come across the issue that I think could've been the reason for me not progressing this before...

In an example about the rally phase,  the rules state that an MMC must add 1 to its die roll because its an MMC but also reduce the roll by 1 because it's in a building....but I cannot see in the TEM section in the rules any mention of a die roll modifier for any terrain

It's also not mentioned in any part of the really phase...so I don't know what modifiers are in place when it comes to terrain

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 03:43:48 PM
I've just come across the issue that I think could've been the reason for me not progressing this before...

In an example about the rally phase,  the rules state that an MMC must add 1 to its die roll because its an MMC but also reduce the roll by 1 because it's in a building....but I cannot see in the TEM section in the rules any mention of a die roll modifier for any terrain

It's also not mentioned in any part of the really phase...so I don't know what modifiers are in place when it comes to terrain

You have to add one to any self-rally attempt.  Even leaders have to do this.   Rule 3.1.e.

You can subtract 1 for rally attempts in buildings or woods. Rule 3.1.f.

I’m out of town right now so I don’t have the SK terrain chart with me.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 03:49:32 PM
Thank you. See what I did was read the example before I finished reading the really Phase!!!

Thank you very much

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 05:54:13 PM
I have a couple of shelves of ASL materials. I want to pre-order Rising Sun but the price is a bit ridiculous and I am having a hard time justifying it.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 06:04:50 PM
So, does anyone have any stories of notable scenario's played?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

DoubleDeuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 09:15:19 PM
I have a couple of shelves of ASL materials. I want to pre-order Rising Sun but the price is a bit ridiculous and I am having a hard time justifying it.

I'm having the same thoughts, but with 'The Forgotten War'. MMP wants $141.00 but pretty sure I can get it for a little less than $100.00.

Trying to restart my Combat Campaigns wargaming blog!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 09:27:37 PM
I'll have to go back and get some pictures of the Wall of ASL from The Gamer's Armory

See attached

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 03:14:37 AM
So disclaimer - I haven't finished the rules yet.

The bit in the manual that explains the layout of MMC counters mentions the class of unit E being elite

In the first mission,  I notice that two of the German units have an E in a circle

What does that mean?

I've also just noticed on the actual counters that some have a square around the E also.

This may be in the rules, but it's not under the section that discussed the layout of the MMCs
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:33:38 AM by judgedredd »

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 06:54:52 AM
The E does denote elite units. The box doesn’t mean anything. Some countries have different types of elite units, and a box, circle, or nothing is used to denote them.  If non-elite troops use certain weapons they suffer penalties. For example, the breakdown number of a flamethrower is reduced by two if used by a non elite unit.

The first scenario is only infantry, so I don’t think the elite status affects anything.

judgedredd

Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 09:43:44 AM
Thanks. I just wondered what the difference was

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 01:19:03 PM
well, the "Wall of ASL" photos sure got a lot of fans chattering on FB about them

Also, there's a 3rd-party HASL module that Gamer's Armory is taking pre-orders on right now that's going to be HUGE.  We talk about it some in here
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/its-the-news-tuesdaynewsday-8-3-21/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 01:49:14 PM
Pity it didn't get some more people talking about it here.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 03:02:39 PM
I'll probably have plenty of chat - once I read the rules and set the damn thing up.