Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON.....Advanced Squad Leader (ASL)  (Read 14647 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2021, 01:29:35 PM
My SK counters are in the gmt trays but my asl is still sadly in baggies. Trail runners setup is epic!

Trailrunner's picture is impressive. This picture on BGG is epic:  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #46 on: August 05, 2021, 01:31:52 PM
Glorious!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #47 on: August 05, 2021, 03:03:34 PM
Of course my mixed counters have been properly trimmed to have rounded corners. :)
….

:face:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #48 on: August 18, 2021, 09:55:47 PM
So how much do the SK's actually nerf back from the main rules?  Are they the equivalent of what the 'original' SL game was compared to ASL?  Or are they some other subset of the game?

Is there enough support around the SK's that they can stand alone as their own game system without taking the full ASL plunge?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #49 on: August 18, 2021, 10:52:59 PM
Yes the SK series can stand on its own as a game system. The comprehensive rulebook after four sets is like 30 pages or so. It is a significantly trimmed back ruleset. There are also two expansion packs, a historical campaign, and two small 4 scenario bonus packs. I am not sure how many total scenarios there are but enough that local tourneys also support SK events. I hope MMP produces some more historical campaign packs without adding more rules bloat.

I like the full ASL game but SK is without question much more streamlined and easy to learn/teach.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 06:38:23 AM
By my count, there are 93 SK scenarios from MMP, and a few other scenarios from other publishers.  MMP just released a bonus pack so they are continuing to support SK.

The SK game system definitely stands on its own.  I like to say it is 80 percent of the fun of the full game requiring only 50 percent of the rules.  Those aren't exact, numbers but you get the idea.  I know plenty of people who only intend to play SK.  If they play one scenario a month, that's something like 8 years.  I also know some players who only want to play infantry-only scenarios.  More power to them.

The big concepts missing from SK are bypass movement, snipers, multi-level buildings, and concealment in all scenarios (in SK, concealment is only in PTO).  There are some other important things missing, such as MG fire lanes, berserk units, heroes, deployment, and lots of other rules that are used less often.  Most of the key concepts are in SK, such as the phases (including defensive fire), the to hit process, and breaking, routing, and rallying.  Moving from SK to the full game isn't too hard.  IMO the difficulty is learning a new set of exceptions, but that's the way ASL is.

By my count, I've played at least 1/3 of the SK scenarios face to face, and 1/2 if not 2/3 of the scenarios solo.  When I first started I had played all the SK scenarios from SK 1-3 at least solo, but I haven't kept up with all the expansion and bonus packs.  There are some very good scenarios in SK that have stood the test of time.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 06:48:23 AM
The sheer number and variety of available scenario's must, I assume, be one of the features that has fuelled  ASL for so many years?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 06:49:00 AM
Here is the end game of the SK scenario I played last weekend.  The scenario came from the latest bonus pack, and recreated a raid by British commandos on a Kriegsmarine HQ to capture documents a few weeks after D Day.  The game came down to the last die roll of the last turn and was tense until the end.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 06:55:40 AM
The sheer number and variety of available scenario's must, I assume, be one of the features that has fuelled  ASL for so many years?

Definitely.  It adds lots of variety.  There are something like a thousand scenarios for the full game, each with a story.  Playing one a week would take 40 years to play them all.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:58 AM
By my count, there are 93 SK scenarios from MMP, and a few other scenarios from other publishers.  MMP just released a bonus pack so they are continuing to support SK.

I did not realize there where that many scenarios. The lack of multistory buildings is the one rule I miss from full ASL to SK but it does streamline line of sight and combat rulings.

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #55 on: August 19, 2021, 10:04:56 PM
The upcoming PROKHOROVKA HASL from 3rd party publisher Advancing Fire includes some love for SK players. Only a couple of SK scenarios are included, but should be enticing for players planning to move on to full ASL at some point.

http://advancingfire.com/index.php/prokho

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 10:11:56 PM
The upcoming PROKHOROVKA HASL from 3rd party publisher Advancing Fire includes some love for SK players. Only a couple of SK scenarios are included, but should be enticing for players planning to move on to full ASL at some point.

we had that in Tuesday Newsday 2 weeks ago
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/its-the-news-tuesdaynewsday-8-3-21/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 08:28:34 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #58 on: February 05, 2022, 05:48:31 AM
Some quick pics of the newest addition to the collection. My preorder of Hollow Legions has arrived. Hollow Legions is an updated re-release of the long out of print ASL core module with the Italian order of battle. 

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #59 on: February 05, 2022, 05:54:02 AM
The box art for the latest edition of ASL modules from MMP is fantastic IMO

The 3rd edition of Hollow Legions now includes all of the kit for desert settings.