Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Carrier Command 2  (Read 2983 times)

judgedredd

on: August 12, 2021, 01:49:26 PM
I don't know about anyone else - but I loved the old Carrier Command...I think it was on Atari I had it (might have been very, very early PC).

So this is out from Microprose...and for the life of me, I don't understand why they went for the graphics look they've went for.

It does look pretty cool from a game perspective and it's getting decent reviews...though alot (even positive) say it can be frustrating and others are saying there's lots of bugs...but overall, positive.

It's on my wishlist - I may give it a week or 2 to get bedded in...but those graphics man!!

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:00:30 PM
Just in the duration of watching the video, I kind of started to like the graphic look  :face:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 02:25:53 PM
I watched a let’s play where the reviewer implied it was optimised for MP - there’s 10 seats on the bridge and trying to play it solo almost made his head explode

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 02:37:13 PM
Just in the duration of watching the video, I kind of started to like the graphic look  :face:

Those waves, tho....

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:01:18 PM
I've had my eye on this one as well.  However, all the reviews indicating it's better in MP (as geek mentions) are kind of turning me off to it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 09:52:02 AM
I've been playing this for a few hours now.

A lot of this has been said in the reviews
  • Very in depth
    Having to keep you ship supplied as well as watch your resources and arming your units, sending the right units out, engaging with the right weapons etc, etc, etc - this is not lite at all
  • The manual (on line help - don't know that there is a manual) is woefully inadequate - as is the tutorial
  • Some shortcuts would be nice - like activating something on a screen rather than having to click to bring up the screen the then click again to perform an activation (an plain example I've found is the damage screen...you should be able to just click the button to enable the damage team...but you have to activate the screen first and then activate the button...even more cumbersome because you can't do anything else...just click A button)
I've had a great time with it. I've taken 2 islands - but I have been learning the whole time - like what islands to go for for resources etc. The AI has taken 4 islands. I'm not going to defeat the AI - but I'm having a blast learning at the moment.

I don't know if it would be so much better with multiplayer. Perhaps people are saying that because there is alot to do - and no doubt I've been overwhelmed at times - but that's because I don't know what I'm doing. I think if you had a person in  charge of the ground vehicles, air vehicles, resupply etc, I think you may get bored.

For £25, I do believe I'll get my money's worth.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 04:28:54 PM
Appreciate the impressions, JD:bigthumb: 

I've seen the critiques regarding the UI/controls as well.  Sounds like if the developer can get them up to a more user-friendly level, this could definitely be worth getting. 

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 05:41:42 AM
One last thing - path finding. It can be poor. I've had no end of times when I've had to abandon my carrier to get the ground vehicles moving again - and often - too often - I've lost an aircraft due to just flying into the ground.

The path finding hasn't been a whole big problem early on - but when things start getting heated, it's going to be an issue. Also - losing aircraft because the pilots don't know how to fly is annoying -particularly as you don't have a whole lot in stock and it seems like I may need to capture an island that "creates" them. There could be another way - but without a decent manual/tutorial - my stock in ship is 3 and at base is 0.

Just letting everyone know. I'm using this campaign as a tutorial to figure shit out. The devs will have to work on the other stuff.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 06:26:32 AM
Apparently the devs have known all the way through the process - according to a recent review

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 08:12:31 PM
Hmm.  :waiting: