Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON......................Command & Colours (C&C)  (Read 14840 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 10:51:59 AM
I shan't take offense, but your distinction here is deeply ignorant.  Avoid it in future.

:notworthy:

:peace:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 01:08:30 PM
I'm actually surprised that we didn't get more post about this game; really, I expected to get more response to C&C than we did for ASL.

Wrong! (so far, anyway).

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:22 PM
Ancients remains one of GMT's best sellers and is on, I'm pretty sure, its 12,000th edition.  In many ways, I find it to be the purest melding of the game as it is and the period it seeks to represent.  It's a "play anytime" game and regular SNF favorite.

I'm really looking forward to Napoleon vs. Blucher at Gaugamela.

Riddle me this:   What are some things about Napoleonic warfare that C&C just doesn't do very well?  Cavalry ops?  Infantry in squares?  Bombardments?
Where does C&C fall apart based on what we know of Napoleonic battles?

I'll admit I've only played C&C solo a few times and never played Napoleonics, but I have watched some games on TV, so that qualifies me to comment, right?

I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise, and I do think the C&C series are great games, but they are too "gamey" to really get me. It sometimes seems more to me like a card-hand management game than something that reflects the realities of ancient or Napoleonic battles. For example, the square formation for infantry---you lose access to a random card in your hand, right? I also don't really feel the difference between cavalry and infantry.

I really like the attempt at command friction, but I don't know that the actual implementation feels right.

What does C&C do really well, as far as Napoleonic battles?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 06:18:54 PM
I've only played C&C via Cyrano's SNF battles. it's great fun but it hasn't been enough for me to buy the board games (yeah yeah, shaddup).

I'd love to get into the Nappy C&C stuff, but there's so bloody many expansions now. I did back the P500 for Samurai but backed out a couple of months before. I came close but didn't quite get there.  :whistle:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 07:49:47 PM
I love Tricorne!
Like you, BC, I would love to own the Napoleonic stuff but there's no way I'm shelling out for all those expansions.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 07:50:12 PM
I really like the attempt at command friction, but I don't know that the actual implementation feels right.

What does C&C do really well, as far as Napoleonic battles?

To seek simulation is chimerical.  It's why I've largely given up on the excesses of La Bat, Empire, and similar.

One must imagine oneself not commanding actual armies -- that's really just the KS and one or two other games anyway -- but as Carracticus Potts and his Brigadier in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang.  The men are there, the terrain is there (it's almost always abstract anyway), the troop type variations are there (better here than in other games I could mention), and you have the challenge of shoving men about the field and getting them to do your bidding even when the cards tell you they, in fact, won't.  The system is very clean, well tested, and gives battles that, curiously enough, regularly give decent results.

You can also play Borodino on a really big table, with lots of figures, in an evening.

It is, at its best, a doorway to the lovely spectacle of Napoleonic miniature games.

As for that particular mechanic, I rather like it.  It's an elegant way of reflecting how forming squares cannot be done

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 07:51:56 PM
I love Tricorne!
Like you, BC, I would love to own the Napoleonic stuff but there's no way I'm shelling out for all those expansions.

As if there isn't someone around here who has ALL of it and runs regular games of it on-line or something.

HARUMPH!

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #22 on: September 09, 2021, 08:48:00 PM
I have all the expansions except the one that doubles the board. I cannot remember the name. Anyway I simply traded Scythe and Formula One board games for it.

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 01:31:19 AM
I didn't think you could play C&C solo...?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2021, 08:57:58 AM
I love Tricorne!

As if there isn't someone around here who has ALL of it and runs regular games of it on-line or something.

HARUMPH!

I wanna feel those blocks!

I didn't think you could play C&C solo...?

:doh:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 09:01:02 AM
I'd much rather clip counter corners that stick stickers on blocks!  ;)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 11:32:41 AM
I'd much rather clip counter corners that stick stickers on blocks!  ;)

Weirdo!  :silly:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:54 AM
...takes one to know one...eh!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters