Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: DVG's Pavlov's House  (Read 2727 times)

judgedredd

on: March 25, 2022, 02:38:51 AM
Does anyone have this and if so, what do you think of it?

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 06:39:31 AM
Well - I'm watching an unboxing and I've got to say - there's a very real possibility I won't pick this up.

I've heard some good things about it - but this one particular aspect for me is a real blow to immersion. Apparently, backers could get their faces (and names) on counters.

This for me is just such a downer...I really don't think I could get past putting Dr Nakagawa Kozi in charge of my troops in his office suit or Fred (who looks like he might be on day release). That's such a buzz kill. I don't think I could get past that.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions of this kind of thing in general and - more specifically, if someone does have the game, how do these ahistoric counters affect your playing?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 07:15:11 AM
I’ve only played the iPad app version of the game, which does not have those awful headshots of backers.

Good game. Hard to win. Lots of decisions.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 08:42:17 AM
Thank you. I don't know if I can get over those horrible pictures and names. I just think it will totally destroy immersion for me.

Are those commander(?) very prevalent in the game? Will I be seeing them often? Do you think they're in the game enough that the headshots would detract from all the other stuff going on?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 08:48:43 AM
Apparently, backers could get their faces (and names) on counters.

I'm pretty sure Cyrano is one of them  :nerd:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 09:35:05 AM
JD, if you purchase the game, you get two sets of Russian defender counters, the original defenders and the 60 KS supporters who paid to get their likeness on a counter. (Scroll down to "You on a Counter"). So, from what I can tell, if you get the game, you can ignore that counter sheet.

I totally agree with you. I would never play the game with those counters either.

Almost all the reviews I saw were positive and the BGG forums seem very active with answers from David Thompson, the game designer. If you get it, I look forward to your impressions of the game.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 10:03:15 AM
Thanks Tolstoi - that's great news.

I think a purchase is about to be made  :hug:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 11:55:41 AM
JD, you won't regret it. Pavlov's House is fantastic.

There ARE KS backers on a good number of the counters, but most of them are historical figures - those that were actually there. Though I do get a kick out of throwing Cyrano into the House, lol.

It is a great balance of high-level from 62nd Army's perspective, down to the tactical level in the House itself. You're not only fighting off the Germans, but you're trying to organize artillery support, haul supplies in as well as reinforcements and weapons, trying to get sappers to shore up or repair the House's walls, and setting up AA positions to fight off Stuka attacks.

Oh, those Stuka attacks - you will both love and HATE them. They are so impactful on the game. This makes for a lot of tension as you draw the three German action cards each turn.

You'll feel the pressure as the Germans get closer and closer, while you watch the walls start to crumble and the supplies dry up. It's all very fast and easy to play, too - not a huge amount of depth but just enough to make it interesting, and play quickly so you're not having to leave it out on the table for a week. You can play a game or two in one sitting.

I have this as well as his others (Castle Itter and Soldiers in Postmen's Uniforms). I also plan on getting his next one, Lanzarath Ridge, once it's released. Castle Itter and Soldiers in Postmen's Uniforms are awesome as they are NOT rehashes of Pavlov's House; a lot of the system still will be familiar, but David changes enough between all the games so they feel unique and challenging in their own respect. Can't recommend these enough.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 02:02:51 PM
It was actually seeing Lanzarath Ridge on pre-order that made me re-look at Pavlov's House and the system.

It's ordered  :applause:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 09:31:34 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love