Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: I Want To Play Naval Wargames....But I Don't Want to Deal With Minis?  (Read 2379 times)

Mineshaft_Canary

• Jr. Trooper
I've always had an interest in naval matters, particularly WWII/Pacific.  I own a few games that cover naval operations - Flat Top, Guadalcanal (Smithsonian Edition), Pacific War, Atlantic Chase - but I'd like to play something more tactical.  I know there are a few board games in this space, but something about miniature naval wargames is very attractive to me.  I've played Close Action (Age of Sail) before and had a blast.

But...for various reasons I don't really want to bother with minis.  Specifically painted minis.  I don't have the best eyesight so I have doubts in my ability to do even a half decent job at painting them.  I also cannot afford to buy pre-painted minis/commission someone to do it for me.  When I played Close Action the guy running the game used ships from Shapeways that were just one solid color - blue for French, red for British, orange for Dutch - and everyone had a grand time.  I've done a bit of poking around and found some cardboard flats that give top down views of ships that can be used in lieu of minis.  I haven't connected with anyone locally yet, but I'm sure I can find people in the area (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota USA) who plays these games in the era I'm interested in.  My question is: do you think not having my own painted minis to play with would be a major turn off to most people who play these types of games?

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Nope. In my experience the guys who run the games tend to have more than enough minis for everyone.

Bison

• Corporal
I agree with SDR. If you find a local miniatures group, there will be plenty of members with toys they want to get to the table and play games.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Nope. In my experience the guys who run the games tend to have more than enough minis for everyone.

and usually everyone's friend, too.

often with some left over

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Mineshaft_Canary

• Jr. Trooper
I'm not sure how I feel about the rule set, but some good ideas on budget gaming here.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 01:06:50 AM by Mineshaft_Canary »

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I have been a miniatures gamer for moving on 40 years.

I have never once met a miniatures gamer who had more friends than unplayed miniatures.

Your mere presence and evident enthusiasm should be sufficient.

If, along the way, you paint a force or two, that's gravy.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor