Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ambush! by Victory Games  (Read 2499 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: July 26, 2022, 05:28:04 PM
Wasn't there an Ambush PBF game here? Maybe I'm thinking of GH, because I couldn't locate anything here.  :idiot2:

Last year I had reacquired Ambush! and its Move Out expansion, as well as Battle Hymn. Now, after another trade a couple of weeks ago, I have Leather Neck (the expansion for Battle Hymn) as well as Silver Star and Purple Heart coming. I used to have all of these except for the Leather Neck expansion.

I've read a couple of forums on BGG about playing the game in chronological order, but that's asking for straight up murder of your squad since I think it starts in 1943 in Italy with Silver Star or Purple Heart. Anyone try that?

I'm trying too to remember if you could take your squad through Ambush, then Move Out, then Silver Star and Purple Heart, or if you had to start new squads with each one. Guess I'll see here once they arrive, but if anyone cares to share their experience, let me know.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Double Deuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 07:28:03 PM
It was at GH, a few years back at least.

I don't have copies of any of those so can't answer your other questions.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 09:51:38 PM
Yeah I ran the PBF at the Other PlaceTM. It was fun to do and I'm hoping to get the motivation to do another here. Maybe this fall when the weather is not enticing me outside.

If you try to run a chronological campaign using all the addons, then yes it's very hard to survive. When I do a campaign like that I just use Ambush... It's hard enough starting with the para drop on the first mission.

You can certainly take a single squad through them all in publishing order. It makes the later ones a little easier as your squad has built up some decent stats form the previous scenarios.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 10:32:37 AM
That makes much more sense of course, and that's how the designers intended it to be played (in mission number/module order), but narratively, it makes no sense. Unless of course you play them all in mission order, then write it up in chronological order.

I also remember finding some of the rules too much (this was back in the 80s when I first was playing everything), so I'd just skip those things and play in rough initiative order. It streamlined things so much...at least for me at the time. I'm going to dive in to give it another full chance to play as intended. We'll see how it goes.

I'm especially looking forward to Leather Neck, even though it only has four additional missions for Battle Hymn.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)