Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Point Blank V is for Victory  (Read 6041 times)

judgedredd

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 11:48:04 AM
This manual is extremely well written. I'm almost done and I have to say - the draw to play is very, very strong. I'm finding it a struggle to concentrate on The Dark Summer on my table. I might just bail and get this on...I'm very torn though because TDS is an excellent game. I'm really enjoying it though I had to start again because of some key errors during play...which hobbled both sides really.

The manual makes it sound fairly easy to get into and play - however I do have strong reservations about the size of the play area and the cards - shit looks like it could get busy (and therefore possibly lost) super fast.

judgedredd

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 04:33:36 PM
Yeah...couldn't resist

judgedredd

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2022, 01:44:58 AM
I have to say I'm very much enjoying this game at the moment.

I am still not sure about the cards. They're big and take up considerable space in what is a fairly small playing area given the size of those cards.

Card maintenance isn't so much of an issue at the moment, though this is the training scenario and there's much bigger out there. Just things like maintaining the fatigue and shaken counters on these cards. If you have 8 full size cards in one of these sectors (and you can - 6 half squads and 2 trucks).

But - I'm enjoying the playthrough. And actually the rules are (mostly) pretty easy...including LoS which I thought was f***ed up at first.

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 05:51:25 AM
I'm not sure the box that comes with it is going to be very sympathetic to card sleeves

There's a 0% chance that sleeved cards are going to fit in the existing box insert.  It would completely defy physics (paging Vance!)
Done. I used the sleeves from a post on BGG - thank you - and the insert is based on his design. I thought it was a bit tight so I created another compartment for the Action cards.

Everything in though the maps and manuals would sit proud...but I'm not fussed about that

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 06:44:06 AM
That is a lot of stuff, JD. be interested to know how it plays, although to be honest, I'm no great fan of card type games.

I'm still waiting for you to get 'Decision at Kasserine' from Compass Games on the table  ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 08:20:54 AM
lol. You rermembered I had that!

This game plays pretty well. I've enjoyed my two play throughs of the first scenario. There is a problem with some of the rules but Sean is very active on BGG.

It's fairly easy to learn. The manual was written well imo. I've not played LnL Tactical for some time...but from what I recall it shares many of the rules.

I still have some concerns over the size of the cards and the play area. There's alot going on. I've only played a small scenario.

I like the card use...I'm actually becoming a huge fan of cats driven games. Thanks to FoF I think mostly.

I'm not a huge fan of the AEO. Either I'm not interpreting it correctly or often you seem to be focusing on one or two units. In my first play through, the German team didn't move or fire at all in the first turn

There's a huge amount of content and it's all big quality as you'd expect from LnL.

Bob...as a promise to you, the next game on my table will be Decision at Kasserine. I fancy a holiday somewhere hot anyway  :2funny:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:44:57 AM by judgedredd »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2022, 08:26:59 AM
 :bigthumb: :notworthy:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2022, 10:34:30 AM
Done. I used the sleeves from a post on BGG - thank you - and the insert is based on his design. I thought it was a bit tight so I created another compartment for the Action cards.

Everything in though the maps and manuals would sit proud...but I'm not fussed about that

Okay, wait, did you make those index card guides for all the cards that represent the different forces? Did you find those guides on BGG? I don't have the game, so I'm no interested in using them; however, upon seeing your pictures I had two reactions:
  • Wow! Those look amazing!! How long did it take to produce them?
  • A pang of nostalgia as it reminded me of the good old days of card catalog draws full of Author, Subject and Title cards. Damn, I miss those days.
Your game component organization looks grand and it warms my wee librarian heart to no end. Thank you for sharing it.  :notworthy:

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2022, 11:03:53 AM
Thanks Tolstoi - but alas, I never made them. They are from a guy called Andrea Cantatore on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/245955/point-blank-box-organizer-assembly-instructions

Unfortunately his instruction manual for printing the layout of the box sections did not work for me (he suggests using Legal Size (8.5x14) - which I did not have). I tried on A4 but it was missing parts. So I followed his general outline. I didn't like how cramped the forces bit was on the left - I thought it would be difficult to get cards in and out, so I created another compartment (as I wasn't going to have a big box for my counters)

But yeah - apart from me adapting the adjusting the layout on the box - it was all his work - and works very well. It must have taken him some time to do.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 01:05:52 PM
The guys from LNLP have a session of this set up for Saturday morning at The ACDC

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #25 on: January 14, 2023, 11:01:39 AM
He liked it...and also did his own small scenario on a video which I highly recommend...because this comes across much better as a video play through than a static AAR