Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 207410 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #180 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:56 AM
 ::) :whistle:
BB = battleship? Who knew.............

You'll be trying to tell us that CV  = Fleet carrier, next.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #181 on: November 05, 2019, 07:17:19 AM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #182 on: November 05, 2019, 07:20:27 AM
Very interesting - not seen that before. :bigthumb:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #183 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:00 AM
Remember,. Remember, the Fifth of November.

Some people enjoy traditions a bit too much.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #184 on: November 05, 2019, 08:37:19 AM

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #185 on: November 05, 2019, 01:36:43 PM

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #186 on: November 05, 2019, 02:40:27 PM
and they've been talking about it ever since

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #187 on: November 05, 2019, 02:43:10 PM
"Hey Henry. Go sit in that thing a second will you and I'll snap your picture".  :notme:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #188 on: November 05, 2019, 02:44:43 PM
...'sucker!...................

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #189 on: November 05, 2019, 03:32:32 PM
How can you tell if a pilot is at your party?    Don't worry, he will tell you.

What's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine?  Jet engines don't whine when not in use.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #190 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:48 AM
An auspicious day!

1866         Prof. Arronax, Conseil, and Ned Land are taken aboard Capt. Nemo's 'Nautilus' to begin "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"

The Last “Prize” Awards in the U.S. Navy?

The awarding of prize was an ancient naval custom.  Essentially, the officers and men of a warship that captured an enemy vessel were allowed to divvy up the loot.  Although the complex formula governing the division of the spoils gave the lion’s share to the officers, and particularly the captain, a rich prize could easily leave even an ordinary cabin boy with a year’s pay in his pocket.

For much of its history the United States Navy awarded prize.  But in 1900 it was decided to abolish the practice.
Nevertheless, a case could be made that the U.S. Navy actually awarded prize money in 1947.  It seems that in November 1941, while on "Neutrality Patrol" in the waters between Brazil and Africa, the light cruiser Omaha (CL-4) and the destroyer Somers (DD-381) came upon a merchant ship flying the U.S. flag, and bearing "Willmoto – Philadelphia” on her stern.  As the appearance of the ship did not match the silhouette in the recognitions books, a boarding party was sent from Omaha.  The vessel turned out to be the German motorship Odenwald, on a blockade running mission.  As the Americans clambered aboard, the ship's crew tried to scuttle her, but the Yankee sailors were too quick, and quickly got things under control.

Oldenwald was taken to Puerto Rico.  An admiralty court ruled that since the ship was illegally claiming American registration, there was sufficient grounds for confiscation.  At that point, some sea lawyers got into the act.  Observing that the attempt to scuttle the ship was the equivalent of abandoning her, they claimed that the crews of the two American ships had salvage rights, to the tune of $3 million.  This led to a protracted court case, which was not settled until 1947.  At that time it was ruled that the members of the boarding party and the prize crew were entitled to $3,000 apiece, the equivalent today of over $25,000 according to the Consumer Price Index, but easily nearly twice that on the basis of the prevailing “minimum wage,” while all the other crewmen in Omaha and Somers were entitled to two months’ pay and allowances at their then current rate.

By then, both Omaha and Somers had already gone to the scrap yard.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #191 on: November 06, 2019, 08:32:21 AM
What a fascinating story!  :bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #192 on: November 06, 2019, 02:56:20 PM
Agreed!  I'd not heard about that before. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #193 on: November 07, 2019, 07:56:15 AM
The sailing ship Mary Celeste departs New York harbor in 1872 bound for mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #194 on: November 07, 2019, 11:31:35 AM
That story left me with a real sinking feeling.  :hehe:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming