Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Mass Effect: Legendary Edition  (Read 12988 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 02:48:53 PM
I remember trying the first one but was put off by the UI. I really need to give it another go as everyone I talk to about it says the same thing as mirth.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 02:56:33 PM
Again, the big problem for me is that I suck at FPS games.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 03:13:00 PM
Again, the big problem for me is that I suck at FPS games.

It's not really an FPS. The combat doesn't have to be a major part of the game. To be successful, you need to balance your team and make use of the NPC abilities.
I was never a big fan of the combat because it got in the way of the story elements. I learned how to get through the battles as quickly as possible.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 03:15:09 PM
I remember trying the first one but was put off by the UI. I really need to give it another go as everyone I talk to about it says the same thing as mirth.

The UI wasn't great, but it was serviceable. I didn't care for some of the UI changes in the later games, but it was nothing game breaking.

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 05:36:26 PM
I've never heard anyone complain about the game having too many dialogue choices. It's a hallmark of Bioware RPGs. KOTOR was renowned for the story choices. It's generally considered a major strength of Bioware games. Anyway, I think the settings give you an option for action over story. I was always interested in the story so I didn't feel a need to dial it back. I like a role-playing element in my RPGs.
That's what I mean though - I like stories, I just don't like too much chit chat and options. I just don't think those kind of games keep me interested for very long.

I should add I wouldn't say it was a bad game - not at all - just the type of game that eventually makes me sigh when I have to interact with NPCs
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:38:33 PM by judgedredd »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 05:53:35 PM
That's what I mean though - I like stories, I just don't like too much chit chat and options. I just don't think those kind of games keep me interested for very long.

I should add I wouldn't say it was a bad game - not at all - just the type of game that eventually makes me sigh when I have to interact with NPCs

Since you already own the first two games, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Deep story and branching dialogue are key elements and widely touted as strengths of the series. It seems like your experience is akin to buying a Forza game if you don't like cars or racing.

judgedredd

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 03:33:46 AM

Since you already own the first two games, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Deep story and branching dialogue are key elements and widely touted as strengths of the series. It seems like your experience is akin to buying a Forza game if you don't like cars or racing.

In my first post on this thread I said
I was into it for a bit...can't remember why I gave up on it - but it was a pretty solid space shooter iirc
It was only playing Horizon Zero Dawn recently that something clicked (with chatting to NPCs) that made me think. I re-loaded the first one last night to make sure I wasn't making it.

And I likely bought the second one without recalling why I gave up on the first one. And that was back in the day when Steam didn't do refunds.

It's the mechanic of "I'll select that option to talk to the NPC" and then you find yourself not talking but with 4 other options...which could lead to more. I actually think it's not necessarily the amount of chat - but how it's presented.

You get 4 options to talk to an NPC. Selecting one of those provides another 3 options and selecting one of them might provide even more. It's about not knowing you are going down a rabbit hole until you start down it - and importantly not knowing when the NPC chat will end - on each strand.

I think it's similar to that feeling the Army used to put you through when they took you out on a run. You'd do 5 miles and on the last mile you knew you were heading back to camp...but they would take you down a different road which meant you were going back to camp. They'd probably do that again until you'd done 10 miles or more.

It was mentally fatiguing.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 04:28:14 AM
Reviews seem to be decent so far, both from the "professional" sites and the gaming community at large.  I have no intention of forking over $60.00 for it, but it's on my wishlist for when it goes on sale (yes, I realize that probably won't be until next year). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 05:43:38 AM
In my first post on this thread I said
I was into it for a bit...can't remember why I gave up on it - but it was a pretty solid space shooter iirc

Part of the confusion I guess since it really isn't a space shooter. It's a deep RPG with some action/shooter elements, but the focus is on RPG not shooter.

It's the mechanic of "I'll select that option to talk to the NPC" and then you find yourself not talking but with 4 other options...which could lead to more. I actually think it's not necessarily the amount of chat - but how it's presented.

You get 4 options to talk to an NPC. Selecting one of those provides another 3 options and selecting one of them might provide even more. It's about not knowing you are going down a rabbit hole until you start down it - and importantly not knowing when the NPC chat will end - on each strand.

It was mentally fatiguing.

After 14 years and two complete plays of the series, I am very familiar with how the branching dialogue works. It's something Bioware has implemented and refined over many games - Mass Effect, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, their D&D games. Those are some of the most successful and acclaimed RPGs in video game history.

I understand if you're not a fan of deep, dialogue driven RPGs, but the style they developed has worked for most players and critics. Finding it "mentally fatiguing" is not a common complaint. It's best that you refunded the game. It was never going to make you happy.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 08:11:24 AM
Part of the confusion I guess since it really isn't a space shooter. It's a deep RPG with some action/shooter elements, but the focus is on RPG not shooter.

Dang, now I really want to play it. I have 1-3 so I don't need to drop $60. Yet.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 08:35:05 AM

Dang, now I really want to play it. I have 1-3 so I don't need to drop $60. Yet.

To be honest, $60 for the complete series (remastered with all DLC) is a bargain.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 08:43:39 AM
Must...resist...logic....

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 09:27:59 AM
"Yet" = okay fine, tomorrow I will get it

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 05:39:28 PM
To be honest, $60 for the complete series (remastered with all DLC) is a bargain.

You're not wrong.  However, when put in the context of my already owning so many games I've not touched (or barely), it's much easier to justify waiting for a price drop.  :waiting: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 08:42:58 PM
Always heard good things about these games but never played them. Looks like this goes to the wishlist and awaits a sale....