Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !  (Read 194866 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #420 on: October 23, 2020, 02:32:05 PM
hmmmmmm..... let's go see!

try it now

Yup, I can see it now, thanks!  :)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #421 on: October 23, 2020, 10:08:25 PM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #422 on: October 25, 2020, 11:37:42 AM
Show notes for MiD: Season 5 Episode 7, Oct 23rd, 2020

Horse & Musket is the topic for this episode, so I would be remiss if I didn't draw your attention to the AD's own bbMike and his My Own Worst Enemy. He just started playing Horse and Musket - Dawn of a New Era. He uses Table Top Simulator to show you the battle of Killiecrankie July 27, 1689 and you can see an example of Horse & Musket - Dawn of a New Era being played.

Here is where you can find the Horse & Musket game series: Horse & Musket series

Last season, (Season 4, Epidose 7 - Hollandspiele), Mr. Russell and Panzerde talk about Hollandspiele and Horse & Musket. It is well worth listening to and these two episodes complement each other very nicely.

Books

John Gill's books about 1809:

Nick Dorrell's Marlborough's other army : the British Army and the campaigns of the First Peninsula War, 1702-1712

The Games

BGG: At All Costs! The Great War in the East (2020)
Hollandspiele: At All Costs! The Great War in the East (2020)

Spoiler: ShowHide
Mystery Wizard!! - If you are new to the podcast, this is a running joke that goes all the way back to the Premier Episode of MiD. Jump to the 38:28 mark and listen to Cyrano's rant. :-) Oh, and after two years, MW still hasn't been published!

Manoeuvre (2008)

Rifle & Saber: Tactical Combat 1850-1900 (1973)

Grenadier: Tactical Warfare 1680-1850 (1972)

Series: PRESTAGS (SPI)

De Bellis Antiquitatis: Quick Play Wargame Rules with Army Lists for Ancient and Medieval Battles

Field of Glory: Ancient and Medieval Wargaming Rules (2008)

Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game

Shako II: Rules for Napoleonic Wargaming (2008)

Song of Drums and Shakos (2008)

Dragon Rampant: Fantasy Wargaming Rules (2015)

The Pikeman's Lament: Pike and Shot Wargaming Rules (2017)

Sharp Practice: Wargame Rules for Large Skirmishes in the Era of Black Powder, 1700 to 1865 (2008)

BGG: District Commander Kandahar (2020)
Hollandspiele: District Commander Kandahar (2020)

BGG: Aurelian, Restorer of the World (2020)
Hollandspiele: Aurelian, Restorer of the World (2020)

BGG: Agricola, Master of Britain (2016)
Hollandspiele: Agricola, Master of Britain (2016)

BGG: Charlemagne, Master of Europe (2017)
Hollandspiele: Charlemagne, Master of Europe (2017)

BGG: The Vote: Suffrage and Suppression in America (2020)
Hollandspiele: The Vote: Suffrage and Suppression in America (2020)

BGG: Dual Gauge (2020)
Hollandspiele: Dual Gauge (2020)

Hollandspiele: Reign of Witches

BGG: The Toledo War (2019)
Hollandspiele: The Toledo War (2019)

BGG: Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777 (2017)
Hollandspiele: Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777 (2017)

BGG: Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Southern Strategy (2018)
Hollandspiele: Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Southern Strategy (2018)

Mr. Russell discussed a new game by John Gorkowski, Empire at Sunrise, of which I could find no information. Brant you missed an opportunity to scoop the rest of the wargaming world!

The program Battleground was discussed. This was broadcast in 1978 and hosted by Edward Woodward. There were six episodes produced, of which I can find only one in pristine condition. If you search online you can find a couple others. I've shared this before and I'll share it again, Battleground: Gettysburg

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #423 on: October 30, 2020, 12:57:04 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #424 on: October 30, 2020, 06:30:02 PM
The playback cuts off around 23:30 (while Vogel is speaking).  Clicking "play" just restarts the podcast at the beginning. 

This only seems to apply to the embedded version, however.  When I click on the link to play the podcast in a new window, I've not had any issues.  ??? 

Otherwise, though, an excellent listen so far.  I'm definitely enjoying it.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #425 on: November 01, 2020, 03:05:25 PM
Here is your guide to Mentioned in Dispatches Episode Number Eight
I decided to break this up into sections:
  • Books
  • Articles & Documents
  • Films, T.V., and Video
  • Games
The order in which they appear is roughly in the order they were brought up during the podcast.

Books by Henry Vogel discussed in this episode

Mr. Vogel's Amazon Page

Fortune's Fool (The Fortune Chronicles Book 1) - under pen name Jeff Boyd

The Fugitive Heir: Matt & Michelle Book 1

Hart for Adventure: A Sword & Planet Scout Adventure (Scout series Book 6)

The Lost Planet

Scout's Training: A Sword & Planet Adventure (Scout series Book 5)

The Counterfeit Captain (Captain Nancy Martin Book 1)

The Undercover Captain (Captain Nancy Martin Book 2)

Books by Sherwood Smith & Dave Trowbridge - you can find more of their books on that page.

The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium Book 1)

Books by John G. Hemry under the pen name Jack Campbell

Lost Fleet Series - Find at your local library
Lost Fleet Series - At Amazon

Books - In general

The Game of Fox and Lion by Robert R. Chase at Internet Archive

The Game of Fox and Lion - find at your local library

Fire on the Border by Kevin O'Donnell, Jr.

Star Trek, The Next Generation: Technical Manual by Mike Okuda & Rick Sternbach - Find at your local library

Star Trek, The Next Generation: Technical Manual by Mike Okuda & Rick Sternbach - At the Internet Archive

Star Fleet Technical Manual: Training Command, Star Fleet Academy by Franz Joseph

Honorverse by David Weber

Articles & Documents

Please be aware Foreign Policy has an aggressive subscription pop-up which might make reading these articles difficult to impossible. If that is the case, hopefully your local library has access to FP via a database, like ProQuest or EBSCOhost. If you are not sure and you'd like help, let me know, I'm happy to lend a hand.

Aircraft Carriers in Space

Enterprise vs. Enterprise

Chris Weuve discussed the Composite Warfare Doctrine. If you are curious, here is a version from Sept. 2010 for your reading pleasure:

Composite Warfare Doctrine (NWP 3-56) - from the Internet Archive

Films. T.V., and Videos

Mr. Weuve talked about life on board a ship. One daily routine he mentioned is "Sweepers"

Equilibrium (2002)

Andromeda

Mr. Weuve is part of a video series called "Starfleet Tactical: Space Combat in Sci Fi". Here is the premier episode of that series:

Axanar still exists. Find out more on their YouTube Channel.

Games

James Bond 007

Earth & Beyond

Star Cruiser (1987)

Attack Sub (1991)

Serenity Role Playing Game

BattleTech - leads the series

M-Space

D100 Dungeon

Star Trek

Star Fleet Marines: Module I – Assault (2012)

Learn more about Star Fleet Marines at bbMike's My Own Worst Enemy. Nice, unboxing, or should I type, "unwrapping" here:

Ubiquity Roleplaying System

Star Wars (WEG) - leads to the faimly of Star Wars D6 system games

Talon (2016)

Star Fleet Battles - leads to family of Star Fleet Battles game system.

Stellar Conquest (1975)

The Cypher System

Sovereign Stone

Star Frontiers

Justifiers RPG

Falling Stars

Eclipse (2011)

Space Empires: 4X (2011)

Full Thrust (1992)

Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator (1983)

Triplanetary (1973)

Star Trek: Ascendancy (2016)

End of File as the cool kids would say.  :nerd: I hope you found this useful. :)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #426 on: November 01, 2020, 03:14:33 PM
 :2thumbs:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #427 on: November 01, 2020, 08:13:46 PM
Great work as usual, Tolstoi

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #428 on: November 02, 2020, 07:38:52 AM
Yeah, that's impressive work again. I nominate Tolstoi for ACD Senior Librarian!  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #429 on: November 02, 2020, 08:07:24 PM
Yeah, that's impressive work again. I nominate Tolstoi for ACD Senior Librarian!  :D

Thank you for your kind words. Being an ACD librarian would be brilliant. Sign me up!   :)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #430 on: November 05, 2020, 12:49:25 PM

Thank you for your kind words. Being an ACD librarian would be brilliant. Sign me up!   :)

At least update his 'title'!!!

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #431 on: November 06, 2020, 11:50:38 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #432 on: November 10, 2020, 12:32:13 AM
Mentioned in Dispatches Season 5 Episode 9

Is Wargaming Dying?!??!? Your DOOMED! Listen in to find out why!!!
Comments made by the members of this week's podcast - (insert dramatic music here)

Welcome to this week's listener's guide to the podcast. The lads had a great discussion. After a wee while they started getting down to brass tacks and Mr. Dunnigan's definition was mentioned. They didn't describe it in full, so I'm including it here for your consideration.

Definition

Definition of a wargame by James F. Dunnigan from page 13 of The Complete Wargames Handbook How to Play, Design, and Find Them

A wargame (manual or computer) usually combines a map, playing pieces representing historical personages or military units, and a set of rules telling you what you can or cannot do with them. The object of any wargame (historical or otherwise) is to enable the player to re-create a specific event and, more importantly, to be able to explore what might have been if the player decides to do things differently. To be a wargame, in our sense of the word, the game must be realistic.

Books

The Expanse series was brought up during the discussion. This link leads WorldCat's list using Expanse as a series limiter. I arranged them in order of oldest to newest. PLEASE NOTE, the first 4 entries don't have anything to do with the Expanse books or television program, so you can ignore them. I'm not sure what is in the cataloging records for those first four results to make them appear in the Expanse Series and I have zero power to fix it.

Expanse Series

Podcasts

Listen to BonziCat, Brant and Bison discuss, "What is a wargame." You should really go listen to it. BanziCat provides a very funny Wham! reference with in the first 2 minutes of the first episode.

The GrogCast, Episode 18, Part 1 of 2 - "What is a wargame?"

The GrogCast, Episode 18, Part 2 of 2 - - "What is a wargame?"

Games

These games are roughly listed in the order they appeared in the podcast. I thought about grouping them into "wargame" and "not wargame" categories and then decided against it. Having the list in the order they appear makes more sense for people as they listen.

Up Front (1983)

Carcassonne (2000)

Ticket to Ride (2004)

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition) (1977)

Et sans résultat! Tabletop Rules for Recreating the Napoleonic Wars (2015) from the wonderful folks at The Wargaming Company

Squad Leader (1977)

Empire (Third Edition) (1981)

This specific set of rules wasn't mentioned, but Kriegsspeil in general was.
The von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel: The Prussian Army Wargame (1824)

Game: Sergeants Miniatures Game

Quartermaster General (2014)

Heroes of Normandie (2014)

Memoir '44 (2004)

Team Yankee (2015)

Mage Knight Board Game (2011)

The Red Dragon Inn (2007)

7 Wonders (2010)

Game: Flames of War

Bolt Action (2012)

Setting: Warhammer 40,000 Wargames

Kingdomino (2016)

Axis & Allies (1981)

Game: Commands & Colors

Twilight Struggle (2005)

Series: Combat Commander

Game: Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit

Dice City (2015) - The name used was "Roll for the city" and I could find no such game. I hope this is correct.

Brave Little Belgium (2019)

Risk (1959)

Lasalle (2009)

Lasalle 2nd Edition

Blücher (2015)

Rommel (2017)

Grand Armee: Great Battles of the Napoleonic Wars Miniature Wargame Rules System (2002)

Aurelian (2015)

Battledroids (1984)

Game: BattleTech

BattleLore (2006)

BattleLore (Second Edition) (2013)

Blood & Plunder (2016)

Blood and Valor: 28mm Historical Miniatures Game Set During World War One (2020)

Oak & Iron: Core Box (2019)

Sharp Practice: Wargame Rules for Large Skirmishes in the Era of Black Powder, 1700 to 1865 (2008)

Lion Rampant: Medieval Wargaming Rules (2014)

Saturday Night Fights

Cyrano, over at Saturday Night Fights, hosted two game sessions using the Lion Rampant rules set. See part one here:
The Burning of Velkershowe for "Lion Rampant"

And make sure to watch part 2 to see the exciting conclusion of the battle:
The Burning of Velkershowe (II) for "Lion Rampant"

That's it for this week. Now someone go start a discussion thread about our grand hobby. Do you think it is dying? Yes? No? and Why?

Amabel

• Fresh Recruit
  • she/her
Reply #433 on: November 14, 2020, 11:16:49 AM
Is this where one might comment on a recent episode? Because I'm 3/4 of the way through the Charlies episode and I have some thoughts. :-)

The first thought is that I think the longer format lets the thing breathe a lot more. (The only reason why I didn't finish the episode yet is that it was past my bedtime.)

The second thought is that I should be taking umbrage at "Hollandspiele hipsters" but, you know, we're very much that band that no one has heard of burning CDs in our garage, so I guess that's fair.

We had two nominations this year - Brave Little Belgium and Escape From Hades. I'm happy for the design teams in both cases, of course, and was rooting for them, but I also knew they weren't gonna win. To be clear, this isn't sour grapes or anything - we are after all that band no one's heard of burning CDs in their garage, we ain't gonna win a grammy. The Hades nom made sense to me in that it's not like there are a whole bunch of sci-fi/fantasy board wargames out there, just as it made sense that there was no way Dune wasn't going to win it, despite the fact that Dune came out before I was born.

BLB -- it's a charming little game, and I think it achieves everything it sets out to do. Those aims are rather modest though. Again, this is by design; it's meant to be a streamlined scrappy little intro wargame made with love and craftmanship, not anything definitive or innovative or galvanic. If there was a category for Intro Wargame or Gateway Wargame, I could see it filling that sort of niche really well. But it getting a nom in the category it did is a little like living in some alternate universe where Gregory's Girl got nominated for Best Picture. Don't get me wrong, I adore Gregory's Girl, it's a very sweet and winning little picture, and maybe I'd prefer it to watching Chariots of Fire (which won) or Raiders of the Last Ark (I know, I know, heresy), but it's not Best Picture material. This isn't a qualitative judgement (as in, "this thing isn't as good as the others") or rather, it's an acknowledgement that the things have different qualities - it's apples and oranges.

So, while I was very happy to see the nom for BLB, and very happy for the designers, I also thought it was a little weird, and frankly might have a little more to do with Ryan "getting out the vote" so to speak during the nomination stage - he's very good at that kind of thing. And, just like the BGG Golden Geek Awards, it is 100% a popularity contest, and I'm not sure how useful that is as a metric. (I also don't know if that's how it was ran previously, or if there was some kind of board making these decisions way back when.)

Prevailing wisdom is that awards can help drive sales - nominees get a sales bump, and the winners get a bigger sales bump. I can say however that BLB and Escape From Hades didn't get any appreciable increase in traffic as a result of these nominations. Neither have our games that have been nominated for BGG Golden Geeks. Now, when An Infamous Traffic was nominated for Heavy Cardboard's Golden Elephant award in 2017, that did move the needle quite a bit - gave the game a huge jolt in the arm, and increased the audience for all of our wares more generally. But that wasn't a popular vote - the nominees and the award itself were decided by two or three people, and i think it gave the whole thing the imprimatur of discernment and taste.

Whether the lack of needle-moving for our Charlie noms is because of its popular vote nature, or whether it's because this iteration of the Charlies doesn't have quite the luster it had before - and certainly the U-Boot sweep doesn't increase that luster - I can't say.

I think, as the panelists alluded to, that the categories were over-broad. In fact, I know people were telling them when the awards were announced, "these categories are too broad, split them up!" and they just kinda dug in and said "this is how it's always been done, we're not going to change it" which I think is about as dumb as it sounds. Again, to be very clear, I'm not saying this because I think it would increase the chances of us getting noms or getting wins, because there's no way in heck we're ever gonna win something. We toil in obscurity on purpose and by choice, and part of that obscurity is not getting mainstream awards or acclaim. If I'm making weird experimental little films, they're not getting Oscar nods. But for folks and companies who do care about these sorts of things, these categories are ridiculous and a disservice.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #434 on: November 14, 2020, 12:04:02 PM
Hey Tom! Nice to see you pop in and I appreciate your detailed thoughts on the episode :)

This is typically where we discuss the podcast, and there's no problem with dropping comments in here.

We did also open up a Charlie's specific thread to discuss the awards as a whole and not just our podcast about them

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=2694.0

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~