Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Intel Dump!  (Read 251821 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #255 on: July 05, 2019, 02:47:53 PM
You're pretty obsessed with zombies, aintcha, bbmike?  :D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #256 on: July 05, 2019, 02:48:14 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #257 on: July 05, 2019, 02:48:48 PM
Not WWII...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #258 on: July 05, 2019, 02:49:51 PM
Loved TW: 2000 back in the day. Even the next iteration...was it TW: 2002?

I think there's a newer one even, too.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #259 on: July 05, 2019, 03:03:11 PM
OK, the fact that it's single-man combat is interesting.

Solo and single-man combat! If this were set in the Pacific theater it would be in my cart right now.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #261 on: July 05, 2019, 04:35:26 PM
What’s yer point?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #262 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:11 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #263 on: July 05, 2019, 04:38:52 PM
 :whistle:

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #264 on: July 05, 2019, 08:06:57 PM
I hope the VPG creators can buy the rights to their creations. 

But the reason behind the guy getting control compared to the creators is as old as business itself.  There are a lot of people who want to work in design or operations of any sort (manufacturing, logistics, etc...) that don't want the headaches of running the entire show.  There are also creatives who frankly lack core management skill sets.  And finally there are creatives who have the skill set and the desire but lack the capital to buy/create and operate a company.

I'm not slapping any individuals as I know none of them.  But there are a lot of skill sets needed to run a successful small business.  Not that many people have the skill set.  And the marketplace is a brutal, brutal world.

QFT. This fits most of the designer/publisher types I know.

Beyond that, and this is somewhat in support of Cyrano's point, our little cul-de-sac doesn't produce enough business for a non-lifestyle business to succeed. There is never going to be another SPI. Tom & Mary at Hollandspiel are great at running a sustainable business that sells primarily wargames, but they aren't after building a huge enterprise.

IN VPGs case though, I'd argue that the ownership there made a host of really bad business decisions that culminated in the sale to TT. I was pretty convinced that the move from CA and the decision to not renew leases on their presses indicated that they were in serious, serious trouble.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #265 on: July 05, 2019, 09:25:50 PM
More detail from Alan, from last year
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171113?commentid=8193301#comment8193301

Here's the story: my wife and I were ready to be done with the stress of running a game company; we enjoy making great games but could live without all the business headaches (government regulations, payroll, insurance, taxes, reviews, booking convention booths, shipping, sales, etc.). Folding The Little Game Company into Tabletop Tycoon means that our studio remains an ongoing entity -- as ever dedicated to making great games.

Dan made us a very fair offer, and everyone at VPG has stayed on and is still an employee at Tabletop. That was important to my wife and I -- that our people were taken care of, starting with our employees (naturally) and our customers. They are all "our people" whom we care about and have built trust and relationships with over the years, so our top priority was to obtain the best outcome for them. We had other offers, but Dan's was by far the best for our people.

Now, Dan and I have wrangled contracts together before. This was nobody's first trip to the rodeo! We are both very fair about things and, as always, found agreements and the right compromises on every occasion in our years doing business together. VPG is a good fit to enhance Table Tycoon's publishing side and, since we have already met everyone on the Tabletop Team and know we work well together, everything is going pretty darn smoothly during this transition time.

So, relax everyone. The time is coming soon when Dan can finally speak about "the lawsuit" (which, after our due diligence, I know more about than most but am NDA'd not to talk about that knowledge; suffice it to say that, obviously, there was less there than we at VPG imagined).

For now, think of me as Alan Emrich, Studio Head of the same great VPG team, working on the same great game projects with the business and sundry headaches now handled by Tabletop Tycoon (for which my wife and I are grateful). I look forward to a continued bright and busy future bringing you great games and applying our synergy to Dan's great team

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #266 on: July 06, 2019, 01:31:29 PM
*Camera dissolves back to present.*

*Alan, staring first into the distance, turns to bar companion with sad countenance.  And shrugs.*

Me:  So, how’d that work out for you?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #267 on: July 06, 2019, 02:07:28 PM
I’m not sure what y’all would have him do. Don’t sell or sell the business. Make money but don’t sell product that isn’t a  historic conflict. Honestly, outside of zombies or Nemo here wasn’t anything in the catalogue that was going to make enough money to keep the lights on long. Chadwick’s new East Front game was the latest big release but what else? I really like Napoleonic 20 but many “grogs” I’ve spoken with hadn’t even heard of it. GMT couldn’t even gain traction for the series with the Fading Glory release. The one post  made clear the designers got rights back to their games and Chadwick has already signed on with GMT.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #268 on: July 06, 2019, 02:12:30 PM
I really like Napoleonic 20 but many “grogs” I’ve spoken with hadn’t even heard of it.

I'd be in that group. Honestly, VPG hasn't much been on my gaming radar or my regular group's.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #269 on: July 06, 2019, 02:30:55 PM
He seems to have given into the self-deceit of many who sell a modestly successful business in the hope of having the overhead lifted and getting more freedom to "create", viz.:  once they've bought what they want, you are expendable.  As, in this case, were the wargames.  This the root of my moroseness on the topic.

I am surprised very smart people don't remember this.  I -- who will never own a business if I can avoid it -- have seen this ruin lives fairly close to me.  The words Brant cites above gave me a chill.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor