Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thrones of Britannia  (Read 32321 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #135 on: May 17, 2021, 01:08:13 PM
Whelp...I think my Gwined campaign has come to an end. I have a reoccurring game crash when I attempt to appoint a governor to a new province. This a certainly a bit disappointing and something I hope is just associated with the current campaign save game files.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #136 on: May 17, 2021, 01:24:44 PM
 :'( :'( :'(

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #137 on: May 17, 2021, 01:30:59 PM
Whelp...I think my Gwined campaign has come to an end. I have a reoccurring game crash when I attempt to appoint a governor to a new province. This a certainly a bit disappointing and something I hope is just associated with the current campaign save game files.

Found this on the interwebs:

Are you trying to replace an existing governor by a new one by any chance? If yes, then this is a known bug. Try removing the existing governor from his position before assigning the new one.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #138 on: May 17, 2021, 04:37:28 PM

Found this on the interwebs:

Are you trying to replace an existing governor by a new one by any chance? If yes, then this is a known bug. Try removing the existing governor from his position before assigning the new one.

Thanks Mike, but the issue was installing a governor over a newly conquered territory. So there is simply no one there to replace unfortunately.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #139 on: May 17, 2021, 04:42:30 PM
To remedy my disappointment, I started a campaign to conquer feudal Japan but the power went out during a thunder storm.../sigh/…it's like the universe is telling me to post-pone my desire to conquer the known world for today. :(

I'll fire up a game later today. Perhaps its just a sign to lead Sparta to victory and conquer the ancient Greek world instead?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #140 on: May 17, 2021, 05:38:21 PM
 :(

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #141 on: May 17, 2021, 08:28:06 PM
I had a hard crash in ToB when changing a gov but it hasn't happened again.

Also, I'm having to rethink how I usually go about my TW games with the difference in Tob and I really like that I'm having to do it. Im terrible at it but it feels much more realistic and makes me do some more long-term planning instead of just upgrading settlements to get money to make more bigger stacks of troops than my neighbors :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #142 on: May 17, 2021, 08:34:48 PM
If Ancient Greece is your thing, try Imperiums: Greek Wars...came out last year and an Alexander campaign dlc comes out in a month or two. I just started playing  through the tutorials and there is a definite complex charm to it.

That said, I enjoyed playing the TW Wrath of Sparta campaign. Maybe because Greek history is my weak spot - until a year or so ago I preferred Roman history. Now I can’t get enough of the Greek city states and the Seleucids. No logic to it.

I also have never bought a ‘blood pack’ just because I think they’re in poor, poor taste.

My ToB campaign was also as Gwyned and I was very close to actually winning on normal difficulty, until the AI got wise and kicked my ass into eternity and out of the game!

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #143 on: May 18, 2021, 11:01:11 PM
I've had the occasional crash when assigning a governor in Thrones, although I've been fortunate enough to not see it be a recurring issue like it was in Bison's campaign.  That sucks.  :( 

I think you are referring to the Hegemony game series. They are pretty fun games. I played them several years ago.

Yeah, I own the first two games.  They're obviously not on the same level as the Total War series, but I enjoyed playing them. 

Gus' recommendation of Imperiums: Greek Wars is also a good one.  I've not spent nearly as much time with that one as I'd like (what else is new?), but I've seen enough to realize it's something of a diamond in the rough. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #144 on: May 19, 2021, 07:02:20 AM
you guys might want to eyeball the new King Arthur-inspired game from HPS that's linked in this week's TN
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/digital-releases-aplenty-tuesday-newsday-5-18-21/

opening a new thread for it here https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=3252

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #145 on: August 05, 2021, 01:29:10 PM
Started another campaign and hope I don’t have another corrupted save game file. Of note I just realized there are no agents in the game...

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #146 on: August 05, 2021, 02:15:37 PM
I haven't been back to ToB since my ass-kicking but I still say it is a highly underrated entry into the TW series.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #147 on: August 05, 2021, 04:51:55 PM
I agree. I actually really like the way the game plays and the historical period. One of the benefits of not visiting the super fan boy forums is I miss out on 99% of all the negative vibes. So honestly, I have no idea why people dislike it.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #148 on: August 05, 2021, 09:49:25 PM
^Me neither. I only go to the superfanboy forums to check on mod releases.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #149 on: August 06, 2021, 12:37:46 AM
Have fun, Bison!  Fingers crossed there are no corrupted saves this time.  :peace: 

I agree. I actually really like the way the game plays and the historical period. One of the benefits of not visiting the super fan boy forums is I miss out on 99% of all the negative vibes. So honestly, I have no idea why people dislike it.

The new (at the time) unit recruitment system and lack of agents were extremely controversial.  I can sort of understand why that might be the case, but I also feel the game gained a worse reputation than it deserved because of it.  I've personally always felt the recruitment system was brilliant, and while I know Gus misses having agents in Thrones, that was one of its biggest selling points for me. 

There were also fans who felt (and still feel) that the game was nothing more than a reskin of Attila, that it was CA attempting to make an easy cash grab, etc.  I'll admit I was baffled by that one:  Thrones was clearly a passion project for Jack Lusted (who would later be placed in charge of the much-ballyhooed Three Kingdoms), as well as almost everyone else who worked on it.  (The company *is* headquartered in England, after all...) 

The one primary critique I agree with is that -- somewhat like Rome II -- the game itself was still rather rough when it was first released.  It wasn't until after the 1st major patch dropped that ToB ran relatively smoothly and bug-free, and it wasn't until after the 2nd patch (the Allegiance update) that the game felt like it was genuinely headed in the right direction.  The third major patch (the Steel & Statecraft update) was an even bigger improvement, bringing the game to its final form we know today. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I don't think I would've recommended Thrones until after the 2nd patch came out.  While the game had "good bones", with some interesting/new ideas, it was admittedly not a very enjoyable experience in the beginning. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:48:09 AM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike