Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thrones of Britannia  (Read 32330 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #60 on: February 26, 2021, 04:25:28 PM
I would be a lot happier if the wealth part were true :-)

I dunno, what do you taste like?  :biggrin:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #61 on: February 26, 2021, 05:09:55 PM
Chicken?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #62 on: February 26, 2021, 06:56:16 PM
Probably a little tough by now 😎

Always do what you feel is best.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #63 on: February 26, 2021, 11:55:27 PM
I loved FotS too as well as Shogun 2. The franchise hit it's peak with those games. And Bob could only taste like Bully Beef.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #64 on: February 27, 2021, 01:18:19 AM
Well this thread certainly took an odd turn.  ???  Jeez, I can't step away for even a moment... 

I think ToB is my favorite non Warhammer TW.

I would have to say Rome II remains my favorite of the "modern" Total War titles (largely due to my continuing strong fascination with the time period), with Thrones being a damn close second.  It's such a well-crafted game overall, and captures the feel of the time period so well, that I find it impossible not to like it. 

I loved FotS too as well as Shogun 2. The franchise hit it's peak with those games.

Have you checked out Three Kingdoms, Sir Slash?  I don't know that it would supplant your assessment of Shogun 2/FOTS as the series' peak, but at the very least, I suspect you might enjoy it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #65 on: February 27, 2021, 01:19:13 PM
I have checked-out Three Kingdoms and it looks scrumptious. After wanting a TW set in China since forever I feel ashamed I can't bring myself to pick it up after a lot of negative reviews. Still on my list when a good sale comes along. Have you tried it Martok? Or anybody else here?  :waiting:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #66 on: February 27, 2021, 02:05:27 PM
The only reason I haven't played Three Kingdoms yet is I don't have any companion reading to go along with it. And I'm a little intimidated.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #67 on: February 27, 2021, 06:12:26 PM
I have checked-out Three Kingdoms and it looks scrumptious. After wanting a TW set in China since forever I feel ashamed I can't bring myself to pick it up after a lot of negative reviews. Still on my list when a good sale comes along. Have you tried it Martok? Or anybody else here?  :waiting:

I don't know what negative reviews you've seen (although obviously every game is going to have some), but TW3K has generally scored very well.  I know the DLC's are a little more hit-and-miss, but the main game itself has received a high degree of praise. 

I have played 3K a bit, yes, albeit not much, partially because it doesn't run the best on my potato of a computer.  (Looking forward to upgrading later this year!)  The fact that it runs as well as it does, however, is a testament to CA's optimization efforts; it almost runs better than Warhammer 2, though admittedly this is not an immense achievement.  ::) 

My "TL;DR" impression of the game so far is favorable:  It looks good, sounds good, the variety of factions/lords makes for a high degree of replayability, battles are solid (note: I've only played the "Records"/historical mode, so I can't comment on duels), and at least in the early game, the AI is not only competent, but it "feels" like another player in the world (just like yourself).  It all combines together to contribute an excellent sense of immersion & atmosphere, one that's at least the equal of what is found Shogun 2 and Rome II. 

The only reason I haven't played Three Kingdoms yet is I don't have any companion reading to go along with it. And I'm a little intimidated.

I can't really help you with the former, I'm afraid.  My interest in Chinese ancient/medieval history was primarily sparked by reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War, which ironically was written centuries before the Three Kingdoms period. 

As for the latter, I certainly sympathize.  TW3K admittedly can feel a bit overwhelming at times. 

Whenever you do get around to playing it, one thing I would recommend is picking a southern faction for your first game or two, as it's generally a bit less...intense.  In contrast, I (not knowing better at the time) played as Kong Rong my first few attempts.  I only later discovered on Reddit that it's typically advised for new players to start in the south, as northern China in TW3K is -- and I quote -- "an absolute thunderdome".  ;D 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:54:09 PM by Martok »

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #68 on: February 27, 2021, 07:00:23 PM
Ha thanks Martok. How do you translate 'thunderdome' into Chinese?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #69 on: February 27, 2021, 11:07:04 PM
I imagine whatever they call it, the term probably translates back into English something like, "round angry sky with yelling clouds". 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #70 on: February 28, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
^ROFL - Nice translation, Martok  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #71 on: February 28, 2021, 11:21:49 AM
I would buy Total War: Absolute Thunderdome right now.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #72 on: February 28, 2021, 04:56:54 PM
^ROFL - Nice translation, Martok  :bigthumb:

Thank you, thank you!  [bows]

I would buy Total War: Absolute Thunderdome right now.

Go play as Kong Rong or Cao Cao.  It's pretty much the same thing!  :D 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #73 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:08 AM
This thread has got me more interested in Three Kingdoms, of all things. Thrones of Britannia has started to get real and my Gwined is now at war with like 10 different factions, including Mide and Circenn. We are still allied with the Anglo Saxons. We've also invaded the west coast of Ireland. FIGHT ME ALL OF BRITANNIA!!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #74 on: March 01, 2021, 01:30:08 PM
Ha, fantastic.  :bigthumb: