Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

Intel Dump / Re: New Column - #TBT / Throwback Thursday!
« Last post by Sir Slash on March 14, 2024, 11:45:24 AM »
Truly a Blast From the Past.  :dreamer:
Intel Dump / Re: New Column - #TBT / Throwback Thursday!
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 14, 2024, 11:29:15 AM »
#TBT ~ The General Magazine Special Edition, 1988
This special 64-page edition was designed to showcase Avalon Hill wargames and boardgames. Looking back this Throwback Thursday, for me the issue evokes feelings of nostalgia, boredom, and some rueful thoughts.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/tbt/tbt-genmagspecial88/

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on March 13, 2024, 11:04:55 PM »

1489         Ottoman Sultan Bajazet II agreed to pay Pope Innocent VIII 40,000 ducats a year to keep his brother Djem as a "guest"

1758 the French Army had 181 generals, among whom were three royal princes, plus five ordinary princes, 11 dukes, 44 counts, 38 marquises, 14 chevaliers, and six barons.

1811  Battle of Lissa. Cptn. William Hoste with 3 frigates and one 22 gun ship defeated a Franco-Venetian squadron of 6 frigates and 6 smaller vessels under Bernard Dubourdieau.

1821. Although the "Metric System" had been introduced by the Revolutionary government during the early 1790s, Napoleon apparently never learned it, and during his campaigns habitually used the old traditional French system of toises (c. 6.4 English feet) and ligues (c. 3 English miles).

1855  Ladies at the court of Tsar Nicholas I (1825-1855) were normally addressed by the military titles of their husbands.

1920. Berlin: The "Kapp Putsch" fails

1945, as his glorious Third Army was driving across the Rhineland under rainy skies, Gen. George S. Patton spotted a number of troops gathered around a tank parked a rod or so off the road. Driving up in his jeep, Patton jumped out, and asked what was up. He was told that the men were trying to repair the tank, which was suffering from some malfunction. At that, the general in his natty uniform and all promptly crawled beneath the vehicle to join the two surprised mechanics who were actually working on the problem. After nearly a half hour under the tank, Patton crawled out, his normally splendid uniform torn and covered with mud and grease. Climbing back into his jeep, Patton ordered his driver to press on.
As they drove off, the generals driver asked What was wrong, General?
To this, Patton replied, I donĂ¯t know, but I'm sure that the word will spread throughout the division that I was on my belly in the mud repairing a tank.
Age of Gunpowder / Re: Longstreet Attacks
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 06:04:49 PM »
Yep - rule 12.0 for a fire combat step and then 14.3a for possible defensive fire.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »
Right - so it can still attack, but only using the Fire Combat tables and not the Close Combat tables.

Good...I thought they couldn't fire at all which made no sense.
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 05:59:02 PM »
It can only issue a fire attack as its only action if under a limited activation, which, if its already adjacent to an enemy unit can be quite effective - and it could then fire again defensively if the adjacent enemy units declare an assault.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 05:50:56 PM »
So a unit under a commander who only has a limited activation, and that unit is adjacent to an enemy unit, cannot fight that unit?
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 05:28:16 PM »
Yes, in a limited activation, a unit can only make a fire attack and nothing else. In order to conduct an assault (close combat) the formation must be under an attack order before it can engage (in other words, move adjacent to the defending unit(s)).

Remember also the sequence of play whereby with an attack order, fire combat is before movement and/or close combat.
Also, once assaulting units have been declared, the defenders get to issue defensive fire before the CC is resolved.

Hope that helps - if not, just let me know.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 05:18:00 PM »
I've posted this on BGG - but maybe you can help Bawb...

I don't know if I have the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" correct...I think it means 12.0 Fire Combat and does not include 14.0 Close Combat...is that correct?

Basically (because my Union Leaders are pants) They are failing to get a full activation and so perform a Normal Fire Combat Step...and I have some units engaged with Confederate troops. If I am correct with the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" meaning 12.0 and not 14.0, then they can't attack?
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 12, 2024, 11:23:23 PM »
Re: that last one about artillery

We definitely take our fire support and very seriously.

We have direct support artillery battalions assigned to each maneuver brigade and then we have general support battalions assigned at the division level and then on top of that we have multiple brigades of artillery at the core level that can be assigned to reinforce any of the divisions or the cav regiment

Oh, and down in the cav regiments we have an artillery battery in every one of the maneuver squadrons

And that's before we start talking about close air support or naval gunfire or battalion level mortars

US Army does not screw around with launching big rounds downrange