Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 171854 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #555 on: March 04, 2020, 05:59:42 AM
Yes, it is. It sounds like FedEx are very much the villains in this instant.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #556 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:40 PM
Matt Hayes is playing / blogging a Drive on Giessen campaign over at CSW

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dcdf9c7/56362

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #557 on: March 27, 2020, 02:37:26 PM
Cool.

I've been working trying to run this as a blind all around forum game. Could be a nightmare to run but I'm thinking I'm gonna have time over the next couple of months...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #558 on: April 16, 2020, 04:24:49 AM
So I started reading the rules - very well presented and well laid out...superb job - however there are a couple of things that reminded me of a couple of "bug bears" from my original game...

• Soft targets - AP or HE
    I often found this somewhat confusing whether you're able to use AP or have to use HE...what was designated as a soft target and what was designated a soft vehicular target - and currently (though I'm only on the first 40 pages of the rules - it does sound like I might get in a tiz about this again
  • Light Vehicle and Soft Targets - Save Value
    I don't understand why they didn't just use the same nomenclature as other counters. With these types of counters, there's a number in a yellow circle. That number is the save value and because it's in a yellow circle you only get to roll 1 die....they could've used the same format as armoured units in that they show a 1 (for the armour value (number of D6 to roll) and then a superscript 5/6 to show the save value

Apart from that I am really enjoying reading these rules.

Pinetree

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #559 on: April 16, 2020, 08:31:49 AM
I've played 3 games of solo with the Solo Assistant and it's great fun. Letting it do it's thing is the most important part, I've seen a few videos and AARs where people override it nearly every turn when it would do something they thought was wrong or didn't make sense.

I had one instance where the SA had manoeuvred it's units into assault range and I was all ready for it to do so next activation. It's next card draw had the units stay in place and fire instead and I almost overrode it as it needed to capture those positions for victory but thought I'd play it out and see what happens. It ended up decimating my units with point blank fire and was able to pretty much walk in to my positions next activation. It was very impressive and showed me to leave it alone except for the really dumb moves. Great game and looking forward to playing more.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #560 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:06 AM
I've played 3 games of solo with the Solo Assistant and it's great fun. Letting it do it's thing is the most important part, I've seen a few videos and AARs where people override it nearly every turn when it would do something they thought was wrong or didn't make sense.

I had one instance where the SA had manoeuvred it's units into assault range and I was all ready for it to do so next activation. It's next card draw had the units stay in place and fire instead and I almost overrode it as it needed to capture those positions for victory but thought I'd play it out and see what happens. It ended up decimating my units with point blank fire and was able to pretty much walk in to my positions next activation. It was very impressive and showed me to leave it alone except for the really dumb moves. Great game and looking forward to playing more.

I agree Pinetree, people are too quick to override the SA. Just let it play out and see what happens. Same is true for the LnLT SA.

judgedredd

Reply #561 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:22 AM
I found exactly the same thing when using the solo assistant for LnL Tactical... Leave it alone...it'll do just fine.

I also took the view that even if it doesn't, sometimes dumb decisions are made.

I'm looking forward to getting this setup

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #562 on: April 16, 2020, 12:57:19 PM
I'm really enjoying it. Lots of decisions, fast playing, great looking.

judgedredd

Reply #563 on: April 16, 2020, 01:24:27 PM
Are you used to the cards now? I was like you - thinking what was wrong with the chits.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #564 on: April 16, 2020, 01:27:21 PM
Well, for large scenarios with lots of formations, the cards work fine.
For small scenarios with only a few formations I still don't like it. Chits would work better.

Still probably gonna make my own set of chits, basically just tiny cards that can go in a cup/bag to be drawn.

judgedredd

Reply #565 on: April 18, 2020, 05:46:38 AM
I've just got through punching the counters and putting them in baggies. THANK THE LORD these were easy punch, rounded counters. It would've taken forever to punch and clip all those counters

judgedredd

Reply #566 on: April 19, 2020, 02:27:52 AM
I haven't got this too the table yet...I'm hoping to do so in the next few days...but what's the footprint like? Looking at all the aid cards, it looks kinda large, though I know you can just have the PACs as a group until you need one

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #567 on: April 19, 2020, 07:29:43 AM
The normal scenarios are not the large, 1,2,or 3 maps. You never need ALL the PAC. The most important are the Sequence of Play, Every Die Roll in the Game, Terrain Effects, Combat Modifiers, and the one with Missile capabilities on one side and Other capabilities on the other. If you got the great neoprene Matt with all the track then that.
So maybe 3’x5’ table.

The monster scenarios in Defence of Frankfurt cover my 4’x8’ table.

judgedredd

Reply #568 on: April 25, 2020, 12:09:56 PM
I started the first scenario today and I just wanted to throw a few checks in early on...see if I'm missing anything

I'm playing the solo assistant for BOTH sides - just to see how it pans out. I've got the cards set into 3 stacks...the base cards in the middle, the defensive cards to the left and the attacker cards to the right. Who ever is the side to go, I roll 1 d10 and on a 2 or less, they choose the specific card (defence or offence) and 3 and above they choose the generic card.

1. Soviets came on and moved 6 spaces...I Op Fire them when they get within range (6th space). I rolled 4 dice for M1A1 in woods looking for a To Hit of 5 or better correct?
2. Soviets rolled 4 dice looking for a Armour Save of 5 or better (no terrain bonus) correct?
3a. Next Soviets come on and move 3 spaces. Two T-80s open up on the M1A1 in woods. They roll 4 dice (3 inherently for a T-80 +1 for the second T-80 for volley fire) looking for a To hit of 4 or better correct?
3b. What's the point of volley fire? They only get one dice meaning 4 instead of 3 - but if they were to roll separately, they'd get 6 (2x3)?
5. The M1A1 rolls 5 dice for Armour Saves (4 inherently +1 for woods) correct?

Some observations...
This really isn't as deadly as I thought it would be. You'd be surprised rolling 4 To Hit die how many dice and how many times the roll is under the To Hit value of 5.
Why does the T-80 have a better To Hit number (4 to the M1A1's 5)...is it's targeting really better?

I haven't even played the first turn yet - that was just the opening impulse where the Soviets had the initiative.

Anyway - back to the game.....I'll let you know how playing the Solo Assistant for both sides goes.

judgedredd

Reply #569 on: April 25, 2020, 01:06:47 PM
There is one thing I noticed about the Solo Assistant right away.

The Solo Assistant suggests you pull one card for each unit or one card for the whole formation (recommended) and all of the formation abide by the order set.

I pulled a Defence card for NATO and there was a T80 in range of the M1A1 so the order was FIRE. However, the other two units in my formation were not in range and so had to sit it out. What I really wanted to do was to re-deploy my infantry and also Move & Fire with my other M1A1.

I'm not really a fan of that...I'll play along for this outing and see how it pans out. I can see the reasoning...HQ's giving the orders as opposed to units acting independently - but it does mean you could have (as I did) 2/3rds of your formation doing nothing (though they would obviously be available for Op Fire)

We'll see