Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Field of Glory:Empires mp interest  (Read 21024 times)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
on: January 13, 2020, 10:04:05 PM
Been playing this alot since Tuna and W8 hooked me up with it in August.  I really like it and I would be glad to jump in a game with any of you.  Interested?

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:50 PM
Sure... seems I need a LOT more practice, so why not.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:04:01 PM
Good man! 

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:03:39 PM
No other takers?

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:28:25 PM
I just got it at Christmas time and played with it some.  I'd be willing to get it a try as an MP game.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:01:38 PM
I've got about 300 hours in and several mp games under my belt.  I certainly can't claim any mastery, but, I can answer a goodly amount of questions if you've got them.  I'll ping Tuna and see if he wants in, too.

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:02:53 AM
Some questions to all, to tailor the game to taste, what do you like about the game?  Is there something that stands out that makes you want to play just one more turn?  What don't you like?  Do you have a starting preference?  An area or tribe?    Do you want to play majors or minors?   Cooperate or cutthroat?   Number of days between turns?  I know everyone is busy, so, every three days?  Four?  More?

Some random observations:

* CDR is a bitch!  It's the ratio between your Culture produced against your Decadence produced.  Many buildings produce Culture, not all of which are the purple Science and Culture buildings.  Look at each building carefully before choosing.  Same goes for how much Decadence you purposely take on from buildings.

* It behooves you to concentrate early on Food and Military buildings.  Food to grow your population and Military to expand.  Make no mistake, this game is very much about expansion while balancing Decadence and taking Objectives and growing your economy along with your territory.

* Making Provinces should also be a priority.  It reduces Decadence gain slightly and allows all the Regions in that Province to pool their resources together.

*  You can move Citizens and Slaves in your Region window to boost Food, Infrastructure, Gold, or Culture. 

* Check your Nation screen frequently.  It shows your current Gov't, CDR, Ruler, Objectives, and a wealth of other info. 

* Force composition along with Leader and Experienced troops, as well as the terrain you are attacking, go a long way towards winning.  Check the Frontage of a terrain you are attacking first to know approximately which units will be in the front lines.

*  Watch the battles when you have them.  You'll get a better understanding of what wins that way.

* I find that once you make a Province, focusing on one or two Regions buildings is better than picking a building in each Region and waiting an inordinate amount of time for it to be built.  Spreading the building around to all the Regions in turn will grow your empire quicker.  Imo.

Anyways, it's late.  I hope this helps.  If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them if I can.  We'll wait another day or two to see if anyone else joins.  We'll start maybe Friday night or Saturday morning.  I believe I have both of you as Steam friends.  I'll make a group chat and ping you when the game is made.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:33:56 AM
I still have not played enough to have any preferences, so whatever the crowd wants.
I do think playing minor powers that are not near the majors give a bit better starting experience but that’s just me.
By majors I think I mean the 5 empires of Alexander. Rome actually starts pretty minor but is beset by many outsiders.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 07:18:11 AM
MD, thanks for the game play suggestions.

Like Barth, I don't have enough experience yet to have an opinion.  I've only played as Britonae.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:33 AM
I've seen you, MD, online playing that a lot. Guess Warlock is off the radar, no? lol...

I don't know anything about Field of Glory but might check it out.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:15 PM
I've seen you, MD, online playing that a lot. Guess Warlock is off the radar, no? lol...

I don't know anything about Field of Glory but might check it out.

One less hour than FoG:E  ;)

Seeing as noone has a preference for the general setup, let me ask you what your play style is.  Aggressive?  Slow play?  OCD?  If we assume a reasonable amount of comfort with a game, what are your usual patterns?  And how do you change that to fit mp?  Or do you?

I will expand at the rate the game and my resources allow.  Constantly.  If checked, I will stop and regroup until I can move forward again.  If overwhelmed, I will quit.  I can play teammate or solo.  But if I am a teammate, I'd like to have a plan and defined goals.  Above all, teammate or solo, I am glad to share what I know.

Two things we should determine first:

* Same side, teams, or every person for themselves?

* Should we start in the same general vicinity?  Or just pick what sounds right to you?

I have played Belgae the most.  I like Arverni the best, but I am playing Iberii with Tuna and they are pretty good, too.  I like their troops.  I have also played Aedui and Cheruscii.  Aedui has weak armies and nowhere to expand.  Cheruscii has good troops, especially the Rex Custodiae and + Forest fighters.  But the local tribes are tough and numerous.  Having a +Ruler helps almost any situation, so, feel free to explore if that's your thing.  One game soon I am going to try Athens or Sparta.  I was fascinated by Ancient Greece as a kid and it would feel like an accomplishment if I could win the game as either.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 07:30:14 AM
I’ve only played Rome, Britonae, and Brigantes and none to completion. I would say my style is overly aggressive as I usually run into empire size CDR problems.
I would say same side until only we are left, then free for all.
Start not too close as it can cause objective provinces to be owned by yer friends.

I guess my choices would be Britonae, Carthage, Iberii, Rome 😉.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 07:31:06 AM
Seeing as noone has a preference for the general setup, let me ask you what your play style is.  Aggressive?  Slow play?  OCD?  If we assume a reasonable amount of comfort with a game, what are your usual patterns?  And how do you change that to fit mp?  Or do you?

Pretty sure you're asking everyone that question but I'll put in my half a cent - I like to turtle, to build up infrastructure and income so as to support a large, powerful army. Much the same in Civ V or other iterations. I tend to live and let live until someone/some AI pisses me off, then I go for the throat. :)

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 08:58:44 PM
Yup.  It was for anybody who wanted to answer.  Turtling can work.  Especially if you are surrounded and/or outnumbered.  I say, do it to them before they do it to you. ;)

I’ve only played Rome, Britonae, and Brigantes and none to completion. I would say my style is overly aggressive as I usually run into empire size CDR problems.
I would say same side until only we are left, then free for all.
Start not too close as it can cause objective provinces to be owned by yer friends.

I guess my choices would be Britonae, Carthage, Iberii, Rome 😉.

I've been pretty fortunate in my Iberii campaign.  A long term ++ Ruler.  Good battle results.  I am stuck in the NE corner.  I own the rest of the peninsula, but I left Celtiberi a couple of Regions and Emporia and Massalia have declared on me, too.  My armies aren't powerful, but they are experienced.  Anyways, what I am trying to say is, Iberii is a good choice. 

Carthage intrigues me.  Life in the southern Med.  Controlling commerce and spreading across North Africa and the islands.  Opposition to Rome.  All good points in Carthage's favor.

Britonae holds no attraction for me.  And I couldn't even tell you why.  Just doesn't.

In games like these, I never play the big powers that everyone seems to love playing.  So Rome, nor any of the Diadochi, appeals to me.

Same side until it's just us is good by me.  In no particular order, I would like Arverni, Iberii, Carthage, and I think I would like to try Dalmatia.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 11:22:57 PM
I tend to like to start isolated, or weaker neighbors.  I've only tried Britonae so far, but one of the German hordes would also be fun.  Unite the British Isles, or become the master of Northern Europe and the Baltic.