Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Compass Games Hearts and Minds  (Read 14733 times)

judgedredd

on: May 15, 2019, 05:14:23 PM
Has anyone played this?

I watched an unboxing and the components looked fantastic - but that's only part of the battle.

I've not really got one of these "area" type games...most of my games (all?) are individual units (platoon mostly). I think the closest thing I have to something like this is Fleet Commander Nimitz (and I only mean that in the sense of the map being split into areas).

I don't really know what these kinds of games play like. I mean, 1 turn is a year!!

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated...though I'm likely to buy anyway!

BH - I'd be interested to know what you think about games (like this and Conflict of Heroes) where the counters are pre-rounded? Are you against rounded counters altogether or are pre-rounded ones ok?  :hehe:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:28:39 PM
BH - I'd be interested to know what you think about games (like this and Conflict of Heroes) where the counters are pre-rounded? Are you against rounded counters altogether or are pre-rounded ones ok?  :hehe:

Smart arse.  :P
I’m against the idea of wasting time cutting the corners off counters. I like counters with sharp square corners.
If they come pre-rounded that’s fine... I’m not about to waste time squaring them up.
Just play the damn game.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:57 PM
"This is a card-driven, area-based design with low counter density and a much simplified combat system"

Pass. Pass. And Pass.

Does come with solitaire rules for all you guys who don't have friends :P

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:45:00 PM

...or have smart-arse friends that don't live near you so you gotta do what you gotta do :p

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:48:43 PM
so you gotta do what you gotta do :p

play with yourself

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:21 PM
"This is a card-driven, area-based design with low counter density and a much simplified combat system"

Pass. Pass. And Pass.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:45 PM
so you gotta do what you gotta do :p

play with yourself

Like I said, you gotta do what you gotta do.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 06:53:55 PM

Pass. Pass. And Pass.

Oh you're one to point fingers

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:58 PM
 >:D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 12:44:54 AM

Pass. Pass. And Pass.

I noticed last night that I do have a Falklands game I recently bought (but haven't played yet surprise, surprise!) which is area based. But it is quite old. Rule book isn't very pretty, counters aren't particularly pretty and map isn't mounted...all very "cheap" looking though it wasn't really on price.

The components on this look great. Mounted board, good looking cards and counters. I love me the Vietnam era too. I've got Heroes of the Nam (not played...I'm seeing a pattern!) which is platoon level, so this could be a nice edition to the era.

GimpyGamer has done a couple of videos. I think I'll take a look today.

Also, haven't I seen you guys discuss Compass Games before? Now I can't recall if that was in a good light or a bad light. Do they make "generally" good games?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:48:14 AM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 12:46:37 AM

Smart arse.  :P
I’m against the idea of wasting time cutting the corners off counters. I like counters with sharp square corners.
If they come pre-rounded that’s fine... I’m not about to waste time squaring them up.
Just play the damn game.
I was genuinely interested if it was the actual cutting you didn't like or the rounded corners themselves

Now I know  :bigthumb:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:57 AM
Also, haven't I seen you guys discuss Compass Games before? Now I can't recall if that was in a good light or a bad light. Do they make "generally" good games?

Generally good. I have some concerns about their aggressive release schedule and the ability to maintain quality. They are churning out a lot of games lately.

I attended the first Compass run convention last year. Great event that I am planning on attending again this year. They had a con sale of 50% off on all their current, in-print games. I picked up Korea: Fire and Ice as well as South China Sea. The maps/components are not up to a GMT level of quality, imo. Not to say that they were terrible, but they also did not really impress me. I'm happy to have bought the games at 50% off, but I would have been a little disappointed if I had paid full retail which would have been in the range of $70-80 USD for each.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a purchase. There are several Compass games in the pipeline that I have my eye on and will likely purchase at the 2019 con. However, definitely do your homework first which it sounds like you have already for Hearts and Minds.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:29:39 AM by mirth »

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 07:59:34 AM
I'm not trying to dissuade you from a purchase.
Not at all. I posted because I'd like feedback  :bigthumb:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:58 AM
I noticed last night that I do have a Falklands game I recently bought (but haven't played yet surprise, surprise!) which is area based. But it is quite old. Rule book isn't very pretty, counters aren't particularly pretty and map isn't mounted...all very "cheap" looking though it wasn't really on price.

Was that "Where There Is Discord" ?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 10:14:32 AM
lol - no. That was a different level of cost. It was Margaret Thatcher's War

I'm going to get that out this weekend  ???