Author Topic: Ardennes ' 44 - Learning Game  (Read 1163 times)

thecommandtent

• Jr Lancer
on: October 26, 2020, 10:00:46 PM
Well its been a 2 weeks since I posted a poll asking what I should play next and I've finally begun my dive into Ardennes '44 As you can tell by the initial wait to get started this is going to be a slow burn AAR as I find time w/ kids and work.

That being said I've got the counters sorted, clipped and ready to setup on the map. I'm almost done reading through the rule book and am planning on following the opening turns in the Extended Example of Play and seeing if I want to continue or reset and start again.

Also, I order and have started reading A Time For Trumpets to help me learn more about the battle as I game it out on the map.  I'm only a few chapters in and already reading about places and units and seeing them on the map has been illuminating.

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 10:03:43 PM
A Time for Trumpets is a fantastic read.

Martok

• Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:27 AM
Excellent.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:58:43 AM
Good stuff, although I would still recommend the Beevor book.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:07:23 AM
Nice Beevor!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

• Lancer
  • OJsdad - No, she just told me to drop them. Been s
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:16:57 PM
I love Beevor  :hehe:

He's a good read every time

Glad to see you've got this to the table. I have it and will one day get it on there.

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

thecommandtent

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:11 PM
I love Beevor  :hehe:

He's a good read every time

Glad to see you've got this to the table. I have it and will one day get it on there.
Good stuff, although I would still recommend the Beevor book.

I may or may not have his book on request at the library....  :nerd:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 08:12:00 AM
I assure you, you won't be disappointed, its a very good read indeed.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 08:40:15 PM
*I warned you it was going to be a slow burn AAR

I finished going through the extended example of play which takes you through the night of turn 2 and I think I'm just going to keep playing from there as it seems like a good start for both sides.  As you can see from the images below the Allied line is strained and slightly broken in a few places. The Germans achieved no huge breakthroughs ... the exception being Kampfgruppe Peiper which broke through the line at Bullingen and is almost to Malmedy.

The Germans have the next turn and badly need bridges fixed over the Our River and space to unclog the traffic and surge forward.  They will also take full advantage of KG Peiper and hopefully exploit the hole punched in the Allies' line.

The Allies will focus on slowing the German advance while positioning reinforcements in strong blocking positions on the German lines of attack.  These next few turns will be bloody.

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 09:57:37 AM
I'm watching with interest. I have this one in my collection - so I'm excited to see how your game goes.

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 11:04:13 AM
I've been sorely tempted to add this as well, as it's relatively cheap right now. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I've not gotten either of its brothers to the table, yet (Holland '44 and Stalingrad '42), lol.

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 11:07:09 AM
Yeah...but cheap  :bigthumb: :hehe:

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 12:11:06 PM
How dare you

:2funny:

I'm going to wait. I think I'm getting a game or two for Christmas. If I get a gift card, I might grab it.  :D

thecommandtent

• Jr Lancer
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 07:00:45 PM
How dare you

:2funny:

I'm going to wait. I think I'm getting a game or two for Christmas. If I get a gift card, I might grab it.  :D

Get it!!!  With work and kids as you can tell I don't have alot of time to sit and play the game but I spend quite a bit of time walking by the table and stopping to study the map and think about my moves. It is a fascinating battle and the game is really getting me to think through the real world problems that commanders on both sides had.

thecommandtent

• Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 03:16:09 PM
Night fall on December 17 finds the Our River crossed in force in the South and not much standing in the way of the German drive on Bastogne.  Allied reinforcements struggle to plug the many holes opening up in their lines and hope to delay the German attack until more help arrives.

In the North KG Pieper has exploited a gap in the Allied line to drive as far west as Vielsalm but hesitates to drive farther and let his line of communication and supply be cut off.  The 1SS Panzer Corps has shattered the Allied lines near Bullingen and is approaching Malmedy in force.   St Vith is still in Allied hands but is in danger of being cut off from the rear. Casualties are mounting for the Allies along with several units that have surrendered.  Whereas casualties have been light for the Germans but they continue to struggle with blown bridges and traffic and find it hard to bring their forces to bear in overwhelming concentrated attacks.