Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Aliens : ANother Glorious Day in the Corps  (Read 16741 times)

judgedredd

Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 02:51:29 PM
Yeah I have some cracking kits. It's taken a backseat to board gaming for almost a year - but I'm slowly building up the courage to get on the table again.

As for the mini's - I'm not fussed. I've just found out my daughter is back from Uni on Monday - so I'm going to fire through getting these made, pack up The Hunters (just now) and get this to the table so I know the rules before she gets here.

She's not a board game fan per se - but she has liked 2 of the mini's games I've had in the past - Star Wars Rebellion and Memoir '44.

I'll paint the mini's eventually - but it'll have to be after she goes back and also after my A-10A.

I've got a few models to get through  :doh:

Damn, JD  :2funny:

I almost bought a Fw-190 model as I've been looking for something to use for pictoral references for an AAR. I bought an A&A Angels 20 base/starter set late last year; it has some very awesome large aircraft minis (two Bf-109s, one Me-110, and three Spitfires), but I need a few more. Not sure if I want to take the plunge into model-building though.

I had to look up A&A  ;D - I'm so not a nerd  ;)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 03:33:55 PM
I'm so not a nerd  ;)

Just keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll believe it eventually  :whistle:  ;)

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 03:58:42 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 11:26:15 AM
lol...ok.

I've created all the marine characters. I had to leave the Ripley one in the loader so I can paint it. Though...I was thinking I'm going to have quite a bit of difficulty painting these...they're pretty small and whilst I've got head goggles to help my eyes, I've got nothing to stay my hands.

The one alien I made last night,  I got up this morning and the tail had fallen off. My fault...I left it standing with no support to soon after gluing.

I would say...I am finding them a pita. Not jus the aliens but having to make the minis. I just want to get it on the table and I've only got one alien built  :'(

I've only ever had Memoir 44 and Star Wars Rebellion as minis games and I can only remember a very minimal about of assembly required.

Also...I'm not overly confident that when I put these in the box to pack away that those alien models are going to stay together...just saying.

judgedredd

Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 03:27:59 PM
I honestly don't know if I'm playing properly...but I'm in a world of hurt. I've found Newt but she doesn't want to CTFD.

I've lost Hudson and realise to late the importance of keeping characters within 4 spaces for defensive help.

There are currently 16 Aliens on the map...and more will come.

On top of that,  my deck is looking very low.

Question...why do I have a secondary weapon?  Surely I'll just always use my primary weapon?

judgedredd

Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 03:28:43 PM
Oh...another question. When I pull blips and they turn into aliens, are they set aside or do they immediately recycle?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #36 on: February 28, 2021, 03:35:02 PM
If you were playing Space Hulk, then it would be 'Recycle'  ;D

How I loved that game.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #37 on: February 28, 2021, 03:58:44 PM
Question...why do I have a secondary weapon?  Surely I'll just always use my primary weapon?

The secondary weapon comes in handy, depending on what it is. If you use the pistol, for example, as your secondary weapon, I believe it allows you to fire it at a 3, even if your Aim value is lower.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #38 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:08 PM
Oh...another question. When I pull blips and they turn into aliens, are they set aside or do they immediately recycle?

I believe they recycle.

judgedredd

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
Thanks. I did suddenly think that was the case.

I honestly think these dice are loaded. I'm rolling 6s for Alien movement and high - like really high on the 10 sided die.  :tickedoff:

Also - I really don't think I'm playing the cards properly - it's probably just me - but it seems pretty complicated.

A couple of questions about cards.....

Event cards - can be played anytime even if it's another soldiers turn - presumably it's not one of the actions for that hero? As there's no way to track actions used/left?
Second, on event cards - when I play and event card, I have to pay that cost?
Third, on event cards - when you are paying for attacks and say your run out of your endurance deck - do you immediately reshuffle the exhausted deck in with the recycled deck to create a new endurance deck? Or are you not allowed to perform any other actions that require a cost?

On Full Auto, I assume you have to pay the cost of firing again and again (until you fail to hit) and also move your aim down again and again?

I have the expansions...heroes. But none of the missions say how many soldiers you get on a mission. Straight out the original box, you get 6 - but if I add the "badasses" from the add on box, then it's going to be alot easier for me...mission wise. Any ideas on whether the missions are meant to have just 6 characters and I can have the badasses instead of some other characters?

Lastly - these exhaust and discarded piles - I don't seem to have many in the discard pile? Am I playing right? When exactly do you discard? Only when a card says so?

Thanks - honestly I have read the rules and even watched a couple of videos (that had some errors in) - so I'm just really wanting to make sure I'm playing these cards properly.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #40 on: February 28, 2021, 04:50:13 PM
Thanks. I did suddenly think that was the case.

I honestly think these dice are loaded. I'm rolling 6s for Alien movement and high - like really high on the 10 sided die.  :tickedoff:

Welcome to the club!  :D :D :D

Quote from: judgedredd
Event cards - can be played anytime even if it's another soldiers turn - presumably it's not one of the actions for that hero? As there's no way to track actions used/left?

My understanding is, whatever Hero you're using at that moment uses the Actions. I don't think a card that affects another Hero or Grunt affects their Actions.

As for tracking, I usually keep the Aim dial off of their card if they haven't acted, and once they do, I place it over their portrait. Not ideal but it works for me.

Second, on event cards - when I play and event card, I have to pay that cost?

That's my understanding, yes. You always have to pay the cost of a card if you want to use it.

Third, on event cards - when you are paying for attacks and say your run out of your endurance deck - do you immediately reshuffle the exhausted deck in with the recycled deck to create a new endurance deck? Or are you not allowed to perform any other actions that require a cost?

If you run out of cards in your Endurance deck, you're in for some trouble. If you're paying the cost to do something and don't have any to draw from, you have to discard them from the Exhaust deck. Discarding is very bad. You'll need Newt pretty fast, because she has an ability that lets you recycle cards, which is very useful.

Check this thread out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2531553/reshuffle-endurance-deck

On Full Auto, I assume you have to pay the cost of firing again and again (until you fail to hit) and also move your aim down again and again?

You should double check the rules, but I think it says to continue using the Full Auto function, you have to exhaust a card each time you fire. I can't recall offhand for sure, sorry.

I have the expansions...heroes. But none of the missions say how many soldiers you get on a mission. Straight out the original box, you get 6 - but if I add the "badasses" from the add on box, then it's going to be a lot easier for me...mission wise. Any ideas on whether the missions are meant to have just 6 characters and I can have the badasses instead of some other characters?

I think if you're playing a campaign, you have to stick with a total of six heroes.

In Bug Hunt missions, I think you can go up to eight. I don't have the expansion, but found this on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2585703/question-player-count

Lastly - these exhaust and discarded piles - I don't seem to have many in the discard pile? Am I playing right? When exactly do you discard? Only when a card says so?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I think it's when you're told to do so, but the rules should state what cases where you have to discard a card. I think this impacts campaign games as I believe discarded cards do not carry over to the next mission in a campaign - but double-check.

It's REALLY easy to confuse the rules as they're not well laid-out. Maybe someone else can chime in on some of these answers - it's been a few weeks since I played.

judgedredd

Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
I'll read the rules again.

See you mention when you run out of endurance cards, then you're in for hurt - but as I understood it, when you get to the Reshuffle card, you reshuffle the "recycled cards (the cards under the reshuffle card) with the exhausted cards and create a refreshed endurance deck.

The cards have definitely thrown me.

This link you gave
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2531553/reshuffle-endurance-deck
Wasn't actually answered. The guy asking the question is asking the same question I am...that your reshuffle the recycled and exhausted card when the reshuffle card gets to the top - BUT the previous rule states when you run out of endurance cards (when it's empty) you can't draw a card.

Never mind - thanks for the help. I'm going to read the rules again because that deck and those piles are not at all clear to me. I'm sure - as always - I'm over thinking it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:07:38 PM by judgedredd »

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 05:08:07 PM
No, you're fine. I wish I could answer your questions with authority, it's just been a while, and Martin and I both lamented at how unclear the rules were regarding card draws and usage.

judgedredd

Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 05:22:15 PM
Honestly - no problem. Thanks for helping.

The rules seemed fine to me - if a bit disjointed - but when I got it on the table, some of these card issues particularly came to light.

judgedredd

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 02:00:46 AM
So I re-read the rules last night and I found the problem (re the cards). You do not reshuffle the exhaust pile in with the recycled pile when you reshuffle.

Sometimes you take some cards from the exhaust pile and recycle them (when you rest for example)...but it doesn't happen as  a matter of course - which I was doing. That's why I thought I'd never run out of cards.

Once your Endurance pile is empty (no cards above or below the reshuffle card), you start to discard from your exhaust pile...and once you start doing that, you have problems.

So I think I understand the card process now...apart from a few minor things (when you can discard from your hand instead of from the exhaust/endurance pile for example).