Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New single player game wanted  (Read 40262 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #90 on: March 27, 2019, 06:25:30 PM
There now!
Jesus bob - what did you take that picture with? A bin?  ;D

You'll likely get this out before me so I'd be very pleased to hear your impressions.

Also, I know you had Normandy '44...did you say you had Ardennes '44? If so, what did you think?

I'm no great hand when it comes to taking pictures, I must admit - and it was only my phone camera.

Right, I have now cut out and sorted Holland '44 into a GMT tray, but obviously not clipped 'em yet.
As usual, the printing is excellent with little or no colour bleed, but the die cutting is not the best I've ever seen, so a lot of care required. I use a scalpel to seperate the strips from the sprue.

Yes, I had Normandy '44 and played it a lot. Its a superb game if you can get a copy. It only covers the first 20 or so days, and it left me wanting an extension to carry it on a bit further. It is a first class game.

I don't have Ardennes '44 unfortunately, as I don't have the room to set it up and its  bit out of my price range at present. However, I have the rules downloaded and the Vassal mod so I have had a bit of a tinker with iike all the other games in the 4X series, it is first class.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #91 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:19 PM
Holland 44 is a lot of fun. The one downside of the series is some of the map layouts are a bit awkward. Ukraine 43 might be the most peculiar because the maps are offset which makes covering with plexi a bit of a pain for example.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #92 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:42 PM
Stalingrad '42 will be a big game - 3 maps!

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #93 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:54 PM
Stalingrad '42 will be a big game - 3 maps!

Yeah, I'm going to have issues with room for that baby! But maybe it has smaller scenarios on single maps.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #94 on: March 27, 2019, 07:38:24 PM
Yes it does have some smaller scenarios according to the GMT page for it. Be nice to play it in all its glory, though  ;)

judgedredd

Reply #95 on: March 28, 2019, 06:13:42 AM
At the risk of annoying BH, what do you use to clip?

I've still not plucked up the courage to spend the money on a 2mm set of Oregon clippers.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #96 on: March 28, 2019, 06:19:19 AM
 :waiting:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #97 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:08 AM

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #98 on: March 28, 2019, 06:48:25 AM
I've always used a fairly decent size of nail clipper, but I try and clip as little off as possible anyway - minimalist corner clipping?  :)

From what I gather, 2.5mm clippers seem to be the most widely used size as they are suitable for a variety of counters from 1/2" up to 3/4", but maybe some of the guys who own such luxurious equipment can confirm that.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #99 on: March 28, 2019, 06:52:19 AM
I have the 2.5mm and it works nicely for a variety of counter sizes.

I may pick up the 2 and 3mm clippers just to round out my collection.

* "round out" see what I did there, Barth?  ;)

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

judgedredd

Reply #100 on: March 28, 2019, 07:23:14 AM
Why exactly is Britain so shite with board gaming?

The online shops leave ALOT to be desired when it comes to actually looking for anything. When you do find something that interests you, it's often listed as out of stock.

I can't even get GMT Counter Trays now. All out of stock. There is eBay which lists them (from Italy) at £3.70 each with £20+ postage with additional £4+ per item! So ordering 10 costs £37.00 with an additional ££58.41 - I shit you not!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:46:01 AM by judgedredd »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #101 on: March 28, 2019, 07:44:46 AM

Bc on your side of the pond, whenever someone mentions "wargaming" everyone immediately thinks of "toy soldiers"

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #102 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:12 AM

The online shops leave ALOT to be desired when it comes to actually looking for anything. When you do find something that interests you, it's often listed as out of stock.

I can't even get GMT Counter Trays now. All out of stock. There is eBay which lists them (from Italy) at £3.70 each with £20+ postage with additional £4+ per item! So ordering 10 costs £37.00 with an additional ££58.41 - I shit you not!

I just get my counter trays direct from GMT since  the weight is very low. I can get 10 for the same price as you would pay for 4 in the UK (approx £15 last time I purchased).

judgedredd

Reply #103 on: March 28, 2019, 08:33:59 AM

I just get my counter trays direct from GMT since  the weight is very low. I can get 10 for the same price as you would pay for 4 in the UK (approx £15 last time I purchased).
:bigthumb:

Unfortunately, when I log in to GMT and order, it clears the postage and says there's no valid postage option for my area  :'(

Shipping Via
No shipping methods were found for your shipping address.

*EDIT*
I picked some up from here
https://ugg2nd.de/index.php
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:18:17 AM by judgedredd »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #104 on: March 28, 2019, 09:13:27 AM
Check to see if you can get the GMT trays through Amazon UK.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy