Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Franco-Prussian War  (Read 29549 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 06:17:49 AM
Hey Bison. Good seeing you around, man!

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 06:44:59 AM

+100!

Delighted to see you here, Bison - Welcome  :bigthumb:

Hope the family are all doing well .
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:49:07 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 06:46:25 AM
Bob
If you can find a copy, The Franco-Prussian War by Geoffrey Wawro is an excellent history covering the lead up and execution of the war.

I am supposed to learn the rules to  On to Metz but I haven’t done so yet. I wish there were a better operational level game. I’m tempted by Compass Games’ On to Paris but I don’t really need another game and Its received some mixed reviews.

Yeah - I can get a copy on amazon, but its rather expensive. I have it on my wish list though  :)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:48:56 AM by bob48 »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:03 AM

+100!

Delighted to see you here, Bison - Welcome  :bigthumb:

Hope the family are all doing well .

Thanks gents.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 07:45:27 AM
Bob
If you can find a copy, The Franco-Prussian War by Geoffrey Wawro is an excellent history covering the lead up and execution of the war.

Yeah - I can get a copy on amazon, but its rather expensive. I have it on my wish list though  :)

I had not realized it was an expensive book. :(  But it may not have had a large print run. I don’t imagine the Franco-Prussian war is a big draw compared to other conflicts.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #35 on: March 02, 2019, 07:49:05 AM
Its £22 for a paperback on amazon, which, for a poor old pensioner like me is expensive. ;) However, I keep checking for a decent used copy which will do me fine.

Mind you, its still hard to beat the von Moltke book.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 07:56:50 AM
i have read my fair of and about Moltke interesting stuff for sure.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 08:03:57 AM
Bob

I am supposed to learn the rules to  On to Metz but I haven’t done so yet. I wish there were a better operational level game. I’m tempted by Compass Games’ On to Paris but I don’t really need another game and Its received some mixed reviews.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Was able to find a Used/VG hardbound copy on Amazon for $13.

I got a good look at On to Paris at the Compass Con in November. I wasn't terribly impressed and passed on it even though I could have bought it for 50% off.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 08:16:50 AM
I have a couple of issues with Compass Games in general that makes me hesitant to purchase their games.

1. Counters - why do they have to choose such garish colors?  I look at a photos of counter sheets and I’m just put off immediately.
2. Rules - This is really my issue but I just prefer the GMT style of 1.0, 1.1, 1.2...to more narrative type rules. I find it much easier for referencing during gameplay.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 08:27:41 AM
I picked up Korea: Fire and Ice and South China Sea while I was at the con. I'm happy enough with them having only paid half-price, but I would have been disappointed if I had paid the full retail. The maps and counters aren't great, imo. Definitely not up to a GMT level of quality.

I like that Compass is putting put a wide variety of games that cover many periods, but I'm a little put off by the production value vs cost.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 08:45:13 AM
Mirth, I did the same with On To Paris. Its based on the system used for the old Victory Games ACW game. Not bad, but I didn't find it that playable. personally.

Bison, I agree with you re the counter art. The map looks OK but the counters show a distinct lack of imagination!.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 09:47:27 AM
I like that Compass is putting put a wide variety of games that cover many periods, but I'm a little put off by the production value vs cost.

Completely agree. They have games covering a great range of periods, which is why I keep reading the news letter and browsing their site. However,  the cost and production like you say gives me pause too. For example, I almost bought Raiders of the Deep. World War I u-boats interesting and unique aspect of the war to examine. It cost $100 after tax. I couldn’t do it. I had just got a copy of Fire in the Lake by GMT for much less and the components and production quality are just so much better. Now if I ever see a copy of Battle Hymn Gettysburg and Pea Ridge....I’ll most likely crumble.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 10:52:20 AM

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 11:38:17 AM
I haven’t read that book yet. Added to the list. Thanking for the enabling Bob.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 11:42:23 AM
 :bigthumb: