Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New single player game wanted  (Read 40073 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 04:29:22 PM
Excellent! Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking - the cheapest I've seen it is at 'Games Lore'.
Second Chance Games  ;D

I bought this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016FQK1Q/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

It means I can use the dining table, close it up when we want to eat at the table, then put it back out - and because it closes over, the cat can't mess with the pieces overnight either

It's not the right size for the full map, but it is when you move the main map over the small map...which I can't see being an issue

:o That puzzle thing is f***ing brilliant! I had no idea such things even existed. I'm going to have to get one now. I will use it on top of my mini game table and close it up between games. The cats won't (shouldn't?) be able to destroy my game between sessions! It also means I could have two different games running at the same time!  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 04:37:28 PM
It is a good idea. However, I don't think the closed size is quite big enough for a 'standard. map of 37" (94 cm). There again, they may do bigger ones.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 06:09:07 PM
There's one that has a play area of 36" x25" (91cm x 63cm) which is more than enough room for a lot of my games.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 02:52:47 AM
There's one that has a play area of 36" x25" (91cm x 63cm) which is more than enough room for a lot of my games.  :bigthumb:
The one I bought is 91x65. Like I said, the Holland '44 map is a bit too long...but rather handily, it's split into a big piece and a little piece. I figure I can pull the bigger piece over the smaller piece and it will fit. A compromise, but bearing in mind I was struggling for a place to put my board games, I thought it would be handy.

Having said that...I didn't know there was such a thing as a standard map size - in which case, I was wrong and my maps won't fit on this. I do admit to buying this without checking my other maps. It'll definitely do Warfighter, my LnL games and Conflict of Heroes.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:31 AM
I don't think there is a standard board size but it seems like most of my game boards are about 34x22. Mind you, that could be that a lot of my games say GMT on the side.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:09 AM
... a lot of my games say GMT on the side.

This. There are lots of "standard" sizes.  :P

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:09 AM
STOP!!!!

My bad - standard size is 34" (86cm) not 37". I must of had a grey moment there. :-[

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 08:08:32 AM
multiples of the 8.5x11 sheet are normal in the US b/c of printing press paper rolls/sizes - less cutting = lower cost

8/5 x 11
11 x 17
17 x 22
22 x 34

the other multiples you'll see are base-6 multiples b/c 12x18 is the base sheet size you print on in order to cut down to an 11x17 bleed

12 x 18
18 x 24
24 x 36
36 x 48

That's just how the printing industry in the US measures paper sizes when they load the drum rolls in the presses

Over in Europe/Asia, you've got the A-series size papers, and most maps end up on A2 or A3 size paper.  I've never seen an A1 size map, but I've seen a few A4 sized ones.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 08:10:04 AM
STOP!!!!

My bad - standard size is 34" (86cm) not 37". I must of had a grey moment there. :-[

Most of my moments are grey these days

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 04:46:26 PM
Holland '44 came today. #chuffed  :)

Well............have you got it on the table yet? We're waiting for a report - especially since I'm thinking of getting it as well :-)

judgedredd

Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 02:33:30 PM
Holland '44 came today. #chuffed  :)

Well............have you got it on the table yet? We're waiting for a report - especially since I'm thinking of getting it as well :-)
Actually, no - not yet. I was reading the LnL Blood and Bridges rules the last couple of weeks, so I am running with that.

Here's the "gaming matt" in action
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FmCawUxWAX4bJufs8

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #71 on: March 25, 2019, 07:42:44 AM
JD if you're interested in space exploration, you might like SpaceCorp. I was finally able to get it to the table yesterday and it was a load of fun. It has a dedicated solo version that is quite enjoyable.

It's a tad expensive over here, though; can't imagine what it might cost in the UK. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #72 on: March 25, 2019, 06:35:59 PM
Looks interesting BC, but I'm gamed out at the mo. When I get my teeth into Holland '44 and if I enjoy it, I may well buy the other ones mentioned. I might even get them anyway as retirement projects.

I was playing LnL Blood and Bridges the other day (Sunday) and if you don't over think the rules, they can be quite simple. I was really enjoying it. Example - the Formation Impulse...I had  infantry loaded on an APC and I wanted to unload them and I was thinking "Am I able to unload them and then fire with the APC?"...after stopping over thinking it, I realised that I can do one of several things and the unload was under the Movement order...so I couldn't fire. But it's those kinds of things that sometimes get me bogged down.

Anyway - I had a successful few impulses...bit gutted when my M48 platoon (x3) rolled 3 die each and every dice rolled was less than the required 4!! 11 dice (one had +2 for being with an HQ) and they were all less than 4. Gutted

I would say one of my weaknesses with board games is believing (after a turn or two) that I know the rules and don't check...and it's times like that where I forget to add/remove modifiers. So when I was playing on Sunday, I was constantly referring to the rules.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #73 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:33 PM

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #74 on: March 26, 2019, 02:13:24 AM
lol

What  did I say  :'(