Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Commemorating the 80th anniversary of the Battle of St. Valery  (Read 2287 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
I'm not exactly sure where this item should go in ACD. There isn't a news section, nor does this quite fit, (yet), the "This Day in History" thread; however, because this is about an event that will happen, live on June 12th, and it relates to an historical event I believe many of us find interesting, I'm putting it here. Byonetbrant, if there is a more appropriate place, please move as you see fit. If it doesn't belong on ACD at all, please remove.

June 12th is the 80th anniversary of the Battle of St Valery-en-Caux. There is a live doorstep activity planned to commemorate it. Poppy of Scotland, (a charity), is asking musicians the world over to play Heroes of St. Valery at 1000 GMT, this Friday.

Here is a short write up about it from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52919842

You can find more about the event, as well as obtain sheet music for pipes, fiddle, harp and snare drums from Poppy of Scotland https://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/get-involved/saint-valery/heroes-of-st-valery-sheet-music/

I'm not a musician. Even if I was, I'm too many time zones away to participate. I don't think my family, nor my neighbors would appreciate hearing the Heroes of St. Valery during the middle of the night.

I will contribute info about the forgotten Dunkirk in "This Day in History" thread on the 12th of June. I wanted to let others know of this event, in case they wish to participate, or watch it unfold live on social media. According to the Poppy of Scotland's Twitter account the hashtag is #StValery80.

Back with more on Friday.