Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: british forces queuing display team  (Read 3798 times)

druid8172

• Jr. Trooper
on: June 19, 2020, 02:46:30 PM
British troops queuing on the beaches of Dunkirk ‎26 May to 4 June 1940 awaiting rescue during Operation Dynamo

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:59:20 PM
I walked along that beach with my dad when we went on one of the annual pilgrimages with the Dunkirk Veteran's Association'. It was a very emotive experience. At one point, everyone stood in silence and looked out to sea where the RN had some ships, and watched as the BoB flight went over; the Lancaster dropped poppy leaves into the sea. I doubt is there are many, if any, veterans left now. My dad was 19 years old in 1940.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:05:08 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:54:22 PM
I've been to Normandy, but never to Dunkirk.  Might put it on the itinerary if/when I get back to Europe some time.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:43:48 PM
I can't even imagine how those men must have felt...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:23 PM

Wondering if any ships were going to show

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 02:01:17 AM
And the British really don't like queuing!  ;D

Normandy and Dunkirk are on my hit list.

First though are the Son, Veghel, Grave, Nijmegen and Arnhem bridges by way of a week long cycle staring at Hook of Holland and finishing in Amsterdam.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 06:31:54 AM

After a long wait on the beaches, dad was eventually embarked straight onto a destroyer from the mole at Dunkirk. It was being heavily bombed and the holes had been filled in by driving trucks into them and then engineers laying planks on top. One on board, he remembers a sailor giving him a mug of tea and a bully-beef sandwich and then falling asleep.

He was also quite adamant that he witnessed no panic, that the units officers stayed with them, and that he and the men he saw all came off with their personal equipment, including rifles. Obviously, for men who had to wade out to boats, this was not always possible.

He also vividly recalled everyone firing rifles and Bren Guns at attacking bombers (likely Stuka's).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:38:56 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:03:03 AM

After a long wait on the beaches, dad was eventually embarked straight onto a destroyer from the mole at Dunkirk. It was beeing heavily bombed and the holes had been filled in by driving trucks into them and then engineers laying planks on top. One on board, he remembers a sailor giving him a mug of tea and a bully-beef sandwich and then falling asleep.

He was also quite adamant there he witnessed no panic, that the units officers stayed with them, and that he and the men he saw all came off with their personal equipment, including rifles. Obviously, for men who had to wade out to boats, this was not always possible.

He also vividly recalled everyone firing rifles and bren Guns at attacking bombers (likely Stuka's).

Thanks for sharing that. A great look at a piece of personal history.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 09:08:57 AM

After a long wait on the beaches, dad was eventually embarked straight onto a destroyer from the mole at Dunkirk. It was beeing heavily bombed and the holes had been filled in by driving trucks into them and then engineers laying planks on top. One on board, he remembers a sailor giving him a mug of tea and a bully-beef sandwich and then falling asleep.

He was also quite adamant there he witnessed no panic, that the units officers stayed with them, and that he and the men he saw all came off with their personal equipment, including rifles. Obviously, for men who had to wade out to boats, this was not always possible.

He also vividly recalled everyone firing rifles and bren Guns at attacking bombers (likely Stuka's).

Thanks for sharing that. A great look at a piece of personal history.

:bigthumb:

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 11:03:34 AM
 :bigthumb: +1

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)