Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Longstreets widow built B 29s  (Read 2657 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
on: November 06, 2020, 08:54:04 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 09:01:59 AM
How very interesting  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:27:41 AM
That's interesting.

The article notes that she was young when she married General Longstreet.  In fact, she was born on April 20, 1863 - about two months before Longstreet fought at Gettysburg.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 09:22:34 AM
Yes, that is unusual.
But if you look closely at Longstreet, his whole life was a sort of massive surprise.
After secession, he went to Richmond to offer his services.  IIRC he expected to get a job in the supply corps, due to his experience.  Instead he became a brigadier of infantry.
He had a testy relationship with Joe Johnston (who didn't), and was very frustrated until Lee took command.
Then in the Seven Days, he earned Lee's great trust.
His careful preparation gave the Confederacy four of the great attacks: Second Manassas, Second day at Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and his attack in the Wilderness.
After the war he remained friends with Grant and Hancock.  He worked for the Federal Government.  He changed religion.
When the Confederate veterans became divided about his role in losing Gettysburg, he appeared at the convention in full uniform as a Lieutenant General, silenced his critics by force of personality and got a standing ovation.
And he won the hand of a determined young lady.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.