Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Defense industry consolidation  (Read 3468 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: June 16, 2021, 09:49:37 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 01:47:50 AM
Fascinating, and a little disturbing. 

I have to confess, however, that I'd never even heard of Raytheon before. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:10 AM
I started my career when Reagan was president at TRW. During the flat budgets of the 90s, there were a lot of mergers, but TRW held out for a while until they were finally bought by Northrop Grumman.  I had to go there for a meeting after they had been bought, and it was strange to see NG logos all over the company.   I’ve seen many other large companies come and go, and it’s happening at the lower levels too.

Some of these companies are so large, that when dealing with different groups within a company, it’s almost like dealing with different companies. I’ve heard stories of certain companies submitting more than one proposal, thereby competing with themselves.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:40:10 AM
I am not in the defense industry but my experience in IT with a variety of customers is that bigger is not better. As TR said there is a real problem with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing with very large organizations. A lot of time (read: money) can be wasted with that sort of chaos. In the case of the DOD that's OUR money.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:46:35 PM
Regarding the big companies - after I came to the government side, I needed to fund a small project with NG. This was direction from my management. The sensor that they wanted me to fund with NG wasn’t a good fit, but by God I had to use it because stupid political reasons.

However, NG didn’t want my money because it was a small amount and not worth their effort. I forget how much it was - maybe $200k or $400k?  My management was mad at me that I couldn’t get them on contract and would not let it go.  I kept getting called into our lab’s deputy director’s office to explain my failure to him.  Fortunately I was friendly with my counterpart at NG and begged him to take my money. He agreed with me that his sensor wasn’t a good fit, and he was getting in trouble with his management too, but he finally agreed to take my money. I think I even had to scrape up some more funding before I could convince him.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 03:26:28 PM
I am not in the defense industry but my experience in IT with a variety of customers is that bigger is not better. As TR said there is a real problem with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing with very large organizations. A lot of time (read: money) can be wasted with that sort of chaos. In the case of the DOD that's OUR money.

:bigthumb:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd