Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Antietam  (Read 16315 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:33 AM
My brother and I visited Antietam years back and had a great time. I was struck by my VERY layman's eye view that Lee choose poor ground to fight on. His right flank was out of sight and the ground to the north was easily passable to flank him from there and cut him off from the Potomac. The battle field only made sense to me if the North came right at him from Antietam Creek. I came away thinking Lee just wanted a fight and didn't really put much thinking where he wanted to fight it. Pulling back behind the Potomac would've made a lot more sense to me. But, hey... I'm no Lee.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 11:02:33 AM
But Lee knew Little Mac.............

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 11:44:50 AM
SSI had a good computer game on Antietam.  And SPI had a large boardgame.
They both showed what a gambler Lee was.
And how inept Mac was.  Almost any other commander, even Don Carlis Buell, should have won there.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 01:20:32 PM
I had the SPI game. In fact, I had all the games that were in the original GBACW series.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 01:37:51 PM
In regards to visiting the ACW battlefields.  John Keegan had a book, Battlefields of North America (?)
He tramped through many and gave good description s.  His account of the Seven Days Battles was surprising.  All the sites we're so close to each other and had very little in the way of markers.  Virtually untouched, at that time.  By now they're probably all paved over.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 01:44:02 PM
That sounds interesting. I'll check it out on amazon.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 05:22:39 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I live about 80 miles from Antietam and have never been.  :-[

Once you start going to them, you're going to be shocked at how close together the Eastern battlefields are. The ACW in the east did not cover a huge amount of territory. There's a reason they fought more than once at Manassas. Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Antietam are a comfortable drive from each other.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 06:37:58 PM
In regards to visiting the ACW battlefields.  John Keegan had a book, Battlefields of North America (?)
He tramped through many and gave good description s.  His account of the Seven Days Battles was surprising.  All the sites we're so close to each other and had very little in the way of markers.  Virtually untouched, at that time.  By now they're probably all paved over.

Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.com/Fields-Battle-Wars-North-America/dp/067942413X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 06:43:29 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I live about 80 miles from Antietam and have never been.  :-[

Once you start going to them, you're going to be shocked at how close together the Eastern battlefields are. The ACW in the east did not cover a huge amount of territory. There's a reason they fought more than once at Manassas. Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Antietam are a comfortable drive from each other.

That'll be nice, less travel for me.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2020, 09:00:10 PM
Yes, Stagger.  Not one of Keegan's very best, but still really good.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #25 on: May 13, 2020, 11:00:45 PM
Yeah you can drive the Shenandoah Valley at a leisurely pace and almost see an ACW battlefield every hour the whole way. Beautiful country too.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 06:52:36 AM
 :sigh:

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #27 on: May 14, 2020, 08:24:05 AM
Arrrgh, now I want another game, I'll probably never play!!!  :waah:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2020, 08:39:59 AM
You will play it - I'll harass you until you do. ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 09:30:32 AM
My copy arrived today. The components are top-notch. I'm impressed enough to consider buying their 'Shiloh' games as well.

Why they are upside down, I have not a clue - however, click on the image and all will be revealed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:09:39 PM by bob48 »