Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TW: Warhammer Questions  (Read 20608 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2021, 12:45:56 AM
^I was close to purchasing it when it was new but the price was really high...~18.99 or something.

Yeah, it's not exactly cheap.  I always advise to wait for a sale now. 

Of course, Vampire Coast was the one DLC where I went against my own advice and actually pre-purchased, which entitled me to a modest discount (10 or 20% off -- I forget which).  I guess I may as well have waited.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 01:01:57 AM
Well I am 4 hours into the first campaign. I went with the game's recommendation and am playing the high elves.

Initial impressions...its fun! Probably one of the best tutorial and learn to play advisors systems in the TW games I have played. Definitely a major departure from RTW2 which is the TW game I had been playing over the past couple of days. (Still need to finish my Iberian campaign!)

The biggest highlight was a pyrrhic victory against a wizard (who I think was from the vampiric coast faction) and his army. He just about took out my entire army single handedly. No question he would have won if I had not just recruited several Lorthern Sea Guard units into my army. They held the line and eventually took him out. Seriously, I wish I had the magic that dude was casting. He made my phoenix look weak. Anyway, I am at war with I think 5 other factions. This due in large measure to my honoring the defensive pacts I have with other high elf empires. The strategic situation is tenuous. Magical Sea Pirate Vampires (?) to the west, Dark Elves to the north, Greenskins to the east, and no where to go in the south until I develop a navy.

Nice.  :bigthumb: 

Yeah, the High Elves are easily the best choice for when you're learning/new to WH2.  They have the best economy in the game, their starting lands in Ulthuan are generally easier to defend than most, and their army roster has no particular weaknesses.  (Few, if any, HE units are considered to be "trash tier".) 

Uniting the other High Elf factions on Ulthuan into a single nation (via whatever combination of confederation and/or conquest you fancy) is often considered a worthy first goal, especially when playing as Prince Tyrion. 

The one gripe I do have about the game is there is just too much detail (I know heresy) on the campaign map. It just looks, well, ugly. (Too be fair it could be my monitor) I think I have messed with the graphic settings enough to make it look decent. Pretty sure I can do a little more. However, they could have abstracted the terrain a little more and made it a little more pleasant to the eye from my point of view.

Thank you!!  :applause:  I have the same problem with the game's campaign map -- that it's too cluttered/busy -- but whenever I make any sort of comment or complaint about it (at least in the official forums or on Reddit), i get shouted down by the fanbois.  :/ 

Don't get me wrong -- I love the detail -- but it's honestly just a bit too much. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 08:08:05 AM
I agree on the campaign map too - it gets ridiculous to look at after an hour or so. Maybe that's why I am kind of luke warm about the TW:W titles...

Always do what you feel is best.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 08:09:36 AM
The issue is there are so many little details that want lighting and shading effects, i.e. trees and blades of grass, that it looks like a glittering mess. The default settings for brightness and gamma washed everything out. Just a bad combination making key details like armies, cities, and roads hard to make out. Reducing the gamma and brightness a couple of notches helped a lot. However, the foliage is still messy. The fix I would love is to be able to use the strategic level icons and map layout to zoom in all the way down to the province level without snapping into 3D view. I really do not have this issue at all with the tactical battles.

Anyway, I honestly do thing my monitor is also partly to blame. Its an older and larger (27") 1080p monitor. So it struggles (I think) to keep up with the quick change across 1,000s of pixels each representing a different detail of lighting, shadows, and texture.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 09:31:16 AM
OK after another 30 or so minutes messing with in game settings and the monitor itself, I think I have a very viable solution to the campaign map. The biggest improvement was getting rid of all the extra pixel reflections that was creating a white shimmer around everything. This really is the most I've messed with a games graphics settings to work out a solution.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 10:09:32 AM
Just wait for your retinas to explode in greatness when you lay them on the upcoming Rome: TW enhanced edition!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: April 14, 2021, 10:21:18 AM
Honestly, I am more inclined to go with the Thrones of Britannia over the remastered Rome. I am starting to feel like I am in the minority of TW gamers who prefer RTW2.

Now I totally get what you are saying. Nothing beats remastered 90's graphics for epic visuals!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 10:27:56 AM
I think that, all things considered, FALL OF THE SAMURAI is probably still my favourite TW game.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #38 on: April 14, 2021, 10:46:41 AM
I finished a ToB campaign a few weeks ago...it was epic and I got my arse kicked. There is also a 1066 mod available which I have not played yet.

I agree with Bawb - my favorite still is Fall of the Samurai. I wonder if they can ever capture that magic again.

Note that I have not played Three Kingdoms or Troy yet.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #39 on: April 14, 2021, 11:41:17 AM
I have never played Fall of the Samurai. It's is certainly highly regarded and I should remedy this some day.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #40 on: April 14, 2021, 12:06:29 PM
It seems to crop up in sales quite frequently. Definitely worth getting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:20:51 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #41 on: April 14, 2021, 01:02:01 PM
I have seen it get bundled with other games too at this point. I can't believe that game is 10 years old. Everything about it from the art and graphics to the UI to the music is just timeless and elegant. I think if I could only bring one game with me to The Great Beyond it would be that one.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #42 on: April 14, 2021, 07:15:54 PM
Enjoy, Bison!  You can look forward to many hours of fun, even if Skaven suck.

My longest save is a skaven campaign and it was such a hard journey to get where I was I needed a rest - they’re a fantastic army to play but you have to embrace the chaos and I’m too neat and tidy for that!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: April 14, 2021, 11:21:53 PM
Honestly, I am more inclined to go with the Thrones of Britannia over the remastered Rome. I am starting to feel like I am in the minority of TW gamers who prefer RTW2.

Not at all.  Until Three Kingdoms came along, Rome II had the most active players out of any Total War title.  Even now, I believe it's still #2 -- which is pretty remarkable when you consider the game was released almost 8 years ago.  And FWIW, Rome II remains my personal favorite out of all the modern Total War titles (with Thrones of Britannia being a pretty close second).  :) 

It's just that with all the flak Rome II still gets sometimes, I suspect that those who play (and enjoy) the game are a generally silent majority, so it's easy for them to be drowned out by those who only remember the game's (admittedly disastrous) launch. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #44 on: April 14, 2021, 11:24:17 PM
Enjoy, Bison!  You can look forward to many hours of fun, even if Skaven suck.

My longest save is a skaven campaign and it was such a hard journey to get where I was I needed a rest - they’re a fantastic army to play but you have to embrace the chaos and I’m too neat and tidy for that!

I can definitely identify with that.  ;)