Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 177846 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #150 on: April 20, 2019, 10:02:00 AM
I think its a pity that the game gets such a lot of hate from some gamers. At its core, it really is a good game despite the fact that it can cost a lot if you go down the collectors road, but that applies for many other game systems as well.

I look at a lot of the, in some cases, very expensive board games out there, especially 'none wargame' ones (no names, no pack drill), the cost of which would by you more than enough cards for hours of play. Some of the deck builders pack actually represent good value, its only when you look at older editions that you see the price escalate, some time by quite an amount, and obviously targeted at collectors.

We have around 1000 cards, none of which are later than maybe the 8th edition, and going back to 'Portal' and early stuff. One of the great things about MtG is that the core rules have, as far as I'm aware, stayed pretty stable over the years, and all the cards we have in our modest collection are compatible, regardless of the edition to which they belong.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #151 on: April 20, 2019, 10:25:22 AM
I would love to play with your collection. I really enjoy the art and mechanics of the older blocks. My cube is 720 common cards mostly from 2002 onward. Really inexpensive. And I’m constantly researching how to change it. If I decide to replace a card, the cost is most likely about 10 cents. My next big update I’m considering is replacing 40 of the multi-color cards with another 8 cards of each of the primary colors. Total cost will be maybe...maybe $5. So there are very cost effective means of playing the game. A bulk lot of a 1000 cards can be purchased for less than $20. The best cards in the game? No. A great cheap collection to play?  Yes. And a cube of a 1000 cards results in millions of variations of card combinations. Get bored with the same cards? A few dollars on a deck builders toolkit or another bulk lot and you have new variety.

The cost is really associated with collectors and players investing in older or format specific power cards. IMO the increasing use of net decking is driving up prices for specific cards in constructed formats like legacy, modern, and standard. It’s also starting to effect prices on Commander and pauper format “staples.” It’s unfortunate but as you said high cost exists in many gaming hobbies. Try buying an out of print ASL module. The expense is there too.

Anyway I could drone on about how to play MtG on the cheap or my favorite formats....

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #152 on: April 20, 2019, 10:27:24 AM
Bison, PM your mailing address

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #153 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:19 AM
Yes, Bawb, I've still got an envelope here for you, too

:doh:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #154 on: April 20, 2019, 10:39:01 AM
Oh?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #155 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:37 AM
Bison, we actually started a with small 80 card set that was given away with a PC game - 'Majesty' I think it was. We liked it so much that we then brought what was the current started set - edition 5 If memory serves.

We periodically added a few booster packs and then a couple of 'Fat Packs', which used to include a magazine and was quite good value for money. We also picked up the boxed 'Battle Royale' set in a sale somewhere and that added a lot of stuff to what we already had. Not purchased anything for a while, although I keep looking at what comes out.

I need to get Mrs B playing again!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #156 on: April 20, 2019, 11:21:25 AM
My tactic is to just put the cards on the table, brew a pot of coffee, and then announce I’ve setup the game as requested! Usually results in and eye roll and a “what the hell are you talking about?”...I feign amnesia...and then the game gets played.  It’s a technique and hasn’t resulted in too many head lumps or a divorce...yet.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #157 on: April 20, 2019, 11:25:21 AM
Good idea! I 'll hide any large cooking implements before I try it though....................... :D

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #158 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:55 PM
Loot from yesterday's trip to the FLGS.

The kids each picked a game (5-Minute Marvel & Gonuts for Donuts). The Starfinder Beginner box was on my list and just released. I grabbed Mille Bornes to play with the kids (it's a game I loved playing as a kid).

Thunder Alley is not at all the type of thing I normally buy,  but I've played it and it's pretty good. The shop had it for $25 new and that's a very good price. At least $10-15 below what you could find from even the discount outfits.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #159 on: April 21, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
Paizo makes some of the best beginner boxes.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #160 on: April 21, 2019, 05:53:20 PM
Paizo makes some of the best beginner boxes.

Word.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #161 on: April 21, 2019, 07:58:36 PM
I got in a game of Mega Civilization yesterday at a local game store. There were 9 of us in total, playing on the Western half of the board with an advanced start. Normally you start with one guy on the map and that's it. In this case, everyone started with 5 cities, multiple units and a set of 4 technologies. I was the Minoans (Iberia, the Celts, Carthage, Rome, Egypt, Hellas, Assyria and the Hatti are the other 8 civs on the western board). I think they would be a bit more interesting to play from the very beginning, but I was absolutely hemmed in with the advanced start. I really enjoyed it, though. The trading is interesting, I like the use of the same tokens to represent both units and currency in your treasury. In all, it took about 7 hours to play.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #162 on: April 21, 2019, 08:03:41 PM
I got in a game of Mega Civilization yesterday at a local game store. There were 9 of us in total, playing on the Western half of the board with an advanced start. Normally you start with one guy on the map and that's it. In this case, everyone started with 5 cities, multiple units and a set of 4 technologies. I was the Minoans (Iberia, the Celts, Carthage, Rome, Egypt, Hellas, Assyria and the Hatti are the other 8 civs on the western board). I think they would be a bit more interesting to play from the very beginning, but I was absolutely hemmed in with the advanced start. I really enjoyed it, though. The trading is interesting, I like the use of the same tokens to represent both units and currency in your treasury. In all, it took about 7 hours to play.

that sounds like a ton of fun

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #163 on: April 21, 2019, 08:18:26 PM

that sounds like a ton of fun

I would absolutely play it again. Of course, I'm curious about the full 18 player game, but even with this it covered two separate 6 foot long tables as well as a couple of side tables.

chemkid

Reply #164 on: May 03, 2019, 07:09:56 AM
hi there, again... :)

i'm preparing to get axis empires' totaler krieg setup. in vassal, though. don't have the space and wonder if anyone here played the vassal module before it hit the updated/expanded ruleset? it's like i have the 10.65 version(for totaler krieg - ETO only) loaded and ready to go - any thoughts? i have the box and unpunched counters, even the errata counters from DG but like i said... no space. wish me luck.

anyhow, that's what is on my table, at the moment... :)