Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: JTS: Musket and Pike series - Seven Years War - the 3D project  (Read 14416 times)

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:21 AM
Ah ok thanks for the mod link and default options then, got you. Just grabed the game, i was not using 3D much already but it is strange just not to have it at all with SYW. Will get used to it for sure. Game seems nice and quite different from Napoleonic ones? ;Z

Here's the counter mod:
http://hist-sdc.blogspot.com/2018/09/bevel-and-counter-clip-mod.html

Steve has a terrain mod, too, but I can't find the link right now. I've asked him to share it.

Definitely play with the defaults. All the scenarios were playtested that way, and they were selected provide the most period accurate rules.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:06:14 AM by Lancier »

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 11:00:06 AM
I think Doug was looking for this:

http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/mp_syw/SYW-sdc-mod.zip

Yep, that's the ticket! Thanks Steve.

Lancier, I got your email about a games and I'm up for it. Unfortunately my gaming rig seems to have a blown power supply right now. I'll respond once I have that fixed.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 05:25:34 AM
Lancier, I got your email about a games and I'm up for it. Unfortunately my gaming rig seems to have a blown power supply right now. I'll respond once I have that fixed.

Sure panzerde, thanks.

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 06:41:59 PM
I'm not sure if I wrote this earlier, but the plan is to try to add some colour coding in to the building types in 3D mode so that type of terrain is easier to differentiate. To that end I got back some work from Joe that I am going to add in for chateau terrain type.  I haven't yet tried to resize them for 3D zoom out mode, and the one screenshot that I put out there was basically a test of the 2 building graphics that I had been given ( 1 2 1 2 1 2) across the file. I don't actually know how the programming chooses which file on a row (in the graphics file when it does), sometimes ... so I don't know exactly how this will turn out. I know that before there was an issue with too many churches being placed in some towns (these were used for Building terrain types in their Napoleonic series).

Anyways, once I get that out there I will post a screenshot.  I think that it might be time to also do some work within the snow/frozen terrain types.

To be fair, at this point, this is to create a usable set of terrain for the entire Musket and Pike series -and basically make the building types (and probably the roads, maybe even fields ...) as 'variables' that might be changed around for different periods in time. Or put another way a building in one century might look differently than something serving the same purpose in another century.

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 06:10:51 PM
I had some cobblestone texture from earlier in the design phase of the project.  I had thought to use this for Village hexes, so as to greater outline where an built up area was; however I must have thought of that one late at night, since it occurred to me, that due to layering, that if I added a cobblestone effect as the entire hex to a building hex, then that would form the top layer of an image.

That would become a problem since players would not ever see the underlying terrain. Not a problem, until a player is looking for a road net and which way it goes (which was a deal breaker). 

...so, what to do? ...

Well, chateau, as a terrain class, generally means a fortified area. In some cases they are walled in farming areas, but they have also been used for other, harder to crack, areas. Better than that, though, is that chateau terrain class doesn't matter about roads running through them -and because of this ... (and maybe because it was a bit more fiddly than I thought, to redo the roofs of places to something uniform, per terrain class (I think I can get reasonably close, but not exact) ... chateau class got cobblestone hexes -for ease in identification.   These can be toned done some,  and I will probably do a little adjustment to get the fit a little more exact to the hex outline used on the maps.

One of the things I think I am seeing above, is the scale is a bit off (most of the buildings come from other titles - so I am thinking that Village terrain class should be more buildings, that are smaller. 

Viewers of my Facebook material will have noticed that I had done more work over the past 3 or 4 weeks, and am a bit at a loss where to post about that - but I guess, technically it isn't really ready to put out there for downloads (the First World War Campaigns material, particularly).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:54:46 PM by S_Trauth »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 12:26:16 PM
Damn. Coming along very nicely! :bigthumb:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.