Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Field Commander Rommel  (Read 3723 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: June 03, 2019, 09:29:56 PM
You've made some good choices, airboy. I've related my experience with FC Rommel. Did a review on FC Nimitz at the other site. And did an AAR on Ottoman Sunset there, too.

If you like Ottoman Sunset, get Hapsburg Eclipse. You can join the two games and play it as a mega-campaign.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:44 AM
What was it about Fleet Commander Nimitz I didn't enjoy? There must've been something, because I never went back to it and I was screaming for a solo Pacific game.

Was it the sheer number of counters? No way to have "fleets"? Was it ground combat? Was it naval combat?

I was very impressed with the quality of the game - but something must've stopped me going back......

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 06:13:55 AM
What was it about Fleet Commander Nimitz I didn't enjoy? There must've been something, because I never went back to it and I was screaming for a solo Pacific game.

Was it the sheer number of counters? No way to have "fleets"? Was it ground combat? Was it naval combat?

I was very impressed with the quality of the game - but something must've stopped me going back......

Maybe this. It's a beast to set up in physical form. When I play it I usually do it in Vassal. People complain about the "AI" system but I think it's a fun game.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:59:02 AM

I remember you and I going back and forth in the other site's forums as you were asking for clarifications on the rules, and I provided that as best I could. I think that might have had something to do with it, the rules were too un-approachable, perhaps?

A lot of people despise the game, mainly because they think it's too random. Considering it simulates the entire Pacific War, I think they did a pretty good job with it, but I think the rules could have been clearer.

BTW if you're looking for a fun and even more simple representation of the Pacific War that has a lot less counter density, try Compass Games' Pacific Tide. It has a small footprint, one counter sheet, and the rule book is very easy to get through quickly. There's a number of videos on BGG and elsewhere that can explain the game, as well.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 08:00:36 AM
It's a beast to set up in physical form. When I play it I usually do it in Vassal. People complain about the "AI" system but I think it's a fun game.

This is true, too. There's something like 1,000 counters, I think. But I think it's really great they simmed SO many ships. It's a pain to set up and sometimes a pain to transfer units to the battle board and back again, but otherwise I really enjoy it too.

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:59:30 PM

I remember you and I going back and forth in the other site's forums as you were asking for clarifications on the rules, and I provided that as best I could. I think that might have had something to do with it, the rules were too un-approachable, perhaps?

A lot of people despise the game, mainly because they think it's too random. Considering it simulates the entire Pacific War, I think they did a pretty good job with it, but I think the rules could have been clearer.

BTW if you're looking for a fun and even more simple representation of the Pacific War that has a lot less counter density, try Compass Games' Pacific Tide. It has a small footprint, one counter sheet, and the rule book is very easy to get through quickly. There's a number of videos on BGG and elsewhere that can explain the game, as well.

How is Pacific Tide as a solo game?
Product Information:

Complexity: 3 out of 10
Solitaire Suitability: 10 out of 10
Time Scale: Single Year Turns with alternating, multiple cards plays per player
Map Scale: Area map
Unit Scale: from individual carriers or carrier groups, fleets, army-level infantry, air groups
though oddlyPlayers: one to two, best with two
Playing Time: two to four hours

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:39:19 PM
right now I have a surplus of tabletop games to work through

Who doesn't?

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 04:05:37 PM

Who doesn't?

BC

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 04:58:22 PM

Who doesn't?

BC

Not to worry. He has several on order.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 07:43:51 AM
I have MORE than enough on hand now...and can't play any of them. :(

My son is here now, so my gaming space is kaputt. I could pull out a short game of, say, Deep Space D-6, but anything more permanent is a no-go where I'm staying, unfortunately.

As for Pacific Tide - it has a bot you can follow for the other side. In this case, you can play either the Japanese or the Allies and make the other one solo. The bot chart is very simple and gives you guidance as to what the enemy will do. The design is clean, simple, light, and quick to play. If you're looking for meat or chrome in your grand Pacific War campaign, though, this is not the game for you.

The designer, Gregory Smith, is a nice guy and very approachable if you ever have any questions. This video interview of him showcases PT pretty well.