Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173346 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #300 on: August 09, 2019, 06:22:15 PM
Hoping to play some Star Wars Outer Rim and maybe some Legendary Encounters: Alien this weekend.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #301 on: August 09, 2019, 08:37:23 PM
Let me know how Outer Rim plays.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #302 on: August 22, 2019, 11:32:57 AM
Outer Rim is pretty awesome, bbmike. Especially with solo play. It's got a lot of pieces to it so it's a bit fiddly when it comes to organization, but otherwise it's a terrific game. I played Lando Calrissian against an AI-controlled Han Solo. Big mistake! Han has movement bonuses and it was damned hard to keep up with him. The AI beat me, 10 to 5 (first one to 10 Fame wins). I gotta try it again soon with a different AI opponent.

Right now, I have an Amazon box on my desk at home, with my new graphics card (an XFX Radeon RX 570) and a copy of Roll Player, which I've wanted for a while (well, the graphics card too!). With rehearsals though I've had not even ten minutes' of time to myself at home so I've not had a chance to crack open my desktop case and load this bad boy in there. I probably won't have a chance until Friday to finally test it out. First world problems, I know. I'm just anxious at having invested a bit of cash in this thing which I rarely do (at least, not that much).

Roll Player, I really want to give it a try this weekend. Outer Rim too.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #303 on: August 28, 2019, 08:01:05 PM
I've actually got a game on National Park on my table.  My daughters gave it to me so that we can play it when we spend the weekend in a cabin this Fall, so I'm getting familiar with it now.

This game arrived earlier this week.  An impulse buy.  Kernstown is one civil war battle I don't know much about, even though the battlefield is about an hour away from my home.  I think the bike shop (now closed) where I bought one of my bikes is right next to the battlefield, and one of the guys who used to hang out in the shop was a re-enactor.  After I play the game I'll walk the battlefield, although I think that development was encroaching.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #304 on: August 28, 2019, 09:23:31 PM
Hoping to break out An Infamous Traffic, a lighthearted romp about different noble families trying to sell the most  opium in China while cutting one another off at the knees. It's a Cole Wehrle game, and I've rapidly become a very big fan of his. Speaking of his games, I also want to get Pax Pamir played again. Loving that game.

Right on all counts.  Pax Pamir 2 is beyond argument the best produced game I've encountered this year, and, in fact, many a year.  Still working to get my head around its subtleties, though.

His "John Company" is really, really good too.  Made me want to wear periwig, don a long robe, and issue orders to the EIC.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #305 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:23 AM
I've been on a Compass Games kick lately...bought and played Nightfighter Ace (more parts to the AAR here coming soon; had a busy week/weekend with a show I'm in). I pre-ordered Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen of the Skies, which is supposed to release in November.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #306 on: September 16, 2019, 07:41:15 PM
I pre-ordered Amerika Bomber: Evil Queen of the Skies, which is supposed to release in November.

Holy Frakknuts, I don't think I've ever heard of and then bought a boardgame all under a minute before just now.  :o

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #307 on: September 16, 2019, 08:51:09 PM
:bigthumb:

Gregory M. Smith had talked about it briefly on Facebook some months ago, just playing around with a variant for B-17...but then support was overwhelming enough that Compass said they'd produce it. It was pretty much an insta-order for me, too.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #308 on: October 16, 2019, 02:42:37 PM
I'm currently looking at 'The Scheldt Campaign' from Hollandspiele. Its a topic which has held an interest for me for a long time, but rarely covered in game terms.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #309 on: November 15, 2019, 04:59:32 PM
Impulse buy, just arrived in the mail.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #310 on: November 16, 2019, 01:35:14 PM
I usually like to play a Bulge game in December, but I'm not sure which one I'll choose this year.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #311 on: November 16, 2019, 01:37:16 PM
Ardennes '44 is definitely the one that stands out to me :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #312 on: November 17, 2019, 09:19:22 PM
latest arrival

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #313 on: November 17, 2019, 10:22:04 PM
Red Storm ...

[follow up] disappointing ... radar signature has zero impact? ... so what is the purpose of the F117 scenario?  ... no damage rating difference (F-16 = A-10 = B52) ...

a lot of time and dice-rolling for vanilla GAME with an air war theme ... and come now just HOW MUCH of a Viper homer can you be in a game design before the developer and BETA testers don't
call you out on it?
Add some advanced rules to handle those issues and right a radar detection / radar track AI into the VASSAL/BGA/TTS GAP and it gets back on my table ... until then ... probably not
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:44:00 PM by rickbill »

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #314 on: November 18, 2019, 06:41:01 AM
Just got in Interceptor Ace.

Normally I make it a rule to never remove the shrink-wrap from my games so as to ensure their freshness for decades to come but this game cam with some extra counter stickers taped to the box and I knew they would get lost or ruined if I just left them there on the outside so I had to crack 'er open...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa