Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228175 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #345 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:22 PM
That Battletech table is cool.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #346 on: October 05, 2019, 09:03:23 PM
On the other hand, time to finally get Too Many Bones up on the table and give it a go.  I'm looking forward to getting crushed beneath the weight of a monster's health stack and the components themselves.

Heard a lot of good things about this, but it's so expensive it's avoided my grasp (thankfully). I already have too many dungeon crawlers (coughGloomhavencough - lol). But I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

So, yeah. Finally back to this. It's really good. It suffers from the same problem that so many co-ops can where sometimes the game just piledrives you through the damn floor, but it's really good despite that. Each of the 4 characters in the base box is completely unique, with totally unique skill dice for you to unlock and develop as you play. I like it enough that I've ordered 2 more characters as well.

It is still REALLY goddamn expensive, though.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #347 on: October 05, 2019, 11:46:33 PM
Have my usual Stellaris campaign going.  Have also fired up Field of Glory: Empires; will see if I can make a go of it as Bactria. 

Finally, I've started playing a beta build of Dominus Galaxia, a new space 4x inspired by the original MOO (*not* MOO2, thank the gods).  His Kickstarter campaign launches tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to tossing a few florins his way. 

On the other hand, time to finally get Too Many Bones up on the table and give it a go.  I'm looking forward to getting crushed beneath the weight of a monster's health stack and the components themselves.

Heard a lot of good things about this, but it's so expensive it's avoided my grasp (thankfully). I already have too many dungeon crawlers (coughGloomhavencough - lol). But I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

So, yeah. Finally back to this. It's really good. It suffers from the same problem that so many co-ops can where sometimes the game just piledrives you through the damn floor, but it's really good despite that. Each of the 4 characters in the base box is completely unique, with totally unique skill dice for you to unlock and develop as you play. I like it enough that I've ordered 2 more characters as well.

It is still REALLY goddamn expensive, though.

Welcome back, AC!  Was starting to wonder where you were at, so great timing.  8) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #348 on: October 06, 2019, 12:24:10 AM
Played some Deus Ex Mankind Divided for a while, then broke out Nightfighter Ace for some more fun. Got a pilot up to 13 kills - him and his crew have shot down every RAF bomber they've come across, which hasn't happened yet. Great narrative-building game.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #349 on: October 06, 2019, 07:16:49 PM
I'm playing ASL on Sunday with two friends.  We're playing a scenario set around Moscow during the winter of 41-42.  Should be fun.

Which side are you?

I had the Germans, and squeaked out a win.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #350 on: October 06, 2019, 07:20:11 PM
 :bigthumb:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #351 on: October 06, 2019, 09:16:40 PM
Friday night my group started a Solomons Campaign using General Quarters III. We played the First Battle of Savo Island using the campaign scenario rules (which are largely historical and tough on the Allies for spotting and initial firing).

I had the IJN light cruisers and ran in South of Savo. The other Japanese player had the heavies and came in to the North of the Island. I was able to slip undetected past the USS Blue and remain undetected while I closed on the Allied Southern Cruiser Force and the transports.
In the end it was a draw. We sank and heavily damaged several Allied ships, but I lost 3/4 of my command (one ship to a self-inflicted torpedo hit) and the other IJN division took damage. I did make a run at the transports but didn't do enough damage to swing the outcome our way. The losses carry over in the campaign so both sides will be missing several ships for the next scenario.

This is my run past the Allied Southern Force. I am attempting to close on the transports. Australia is trying to get up steam to react to my force.

My lead ships launching torpedoes at the transports

Kako and Australia colliding. Kako took multiple engineering hits and went dead in the water. Australia had already plotted a course ahead and contacted Kako. Australia's rudder jammed from the collision damage and the ships were basically locked.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #352 on: October 06, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
That's pretty cool.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #353 on: October 06, 2019, 09:27:45 PM
Was a lot of fun. I excited about doing the campaign. We usually just play one-offs. This makes you think more about your own damage and losses.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #354 on: October 06, 2019, 11:22:10 PM
Looks like fun. What was the range of the torpedo attack?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #355 on: October 07, 2019, 04:21:55 AM
Looks like fun. What was the range of the torpedo attack?

I was in pretty close. The Long Lances run 24cm each turn for 4 turns. Those launches hit on the first leg.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #356 on: October 07, 2019, 11:53:27 AM
Is there different considerations for night and daytime sighting and stuff?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #357 on: October 07, 2019, 12:13:27 PM
Is there different considerations for night and daytime sighting and stuff?

Yes. Different ranges for both spotting and firing. There are also differences based on nationalities to reflect training and equipment differences. For that specific scenario the Allies were handicapped on both visual and radar spotting to mirror the historical issues they had in that battle. Things will improve for them over the course of the campaign as it did historically. The IJN didn't do particularly well for that scenario. We really needed a bigger win than we got. I was too aggressive in trying to get at the transports. I should have launched my torpedoes at the Southern Cruiser Force and got the hell outta Dodge. Probably could have escaped without a loss.

GQ3 is a great set of rules for WW2 naval combat. Nice balance of realism and playability.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #358 on: October 07, 2019, 12:23:46 PM
Is GQ3 your 'go to' set of rules for WW2 naval combat or do you have another favorite?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #359 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:12 PM
Are those just regular 1/700 models? Or special minis for the game?