Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Planes!  (Read 303203 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1080 on: March 17, 2021, 02:23:46 PM
Wow!  :bigthumb:

I live in the Tennessee Valley just below "Sand Mountain" (Yeah, I didn't name these things.), where we get a fair amount of Blackhawk and Chinook training traffic. But the most impressive thing I've seen before this was a line of four C-130s flying not more than a couple hundred feet over the edge of the bluff, make a hard left, and go down the river. But the valley is a couple miles wide here, so...

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1081 on: March 17, 2021, 02:29:26 PM
The so-called 'Mach Loop' in North Wales is used a lot for training, and there are lots of youtube vids of different aircraft flying 'The Loop'

We were on holiday is Scotland once around the Cairngorms, and saw a C130 doing something similar - it was actually flying in a valley below us.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1082 on: April 20, 2021, 08:18:51 AM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1083 on: April 20, 2021, 09:02:17 PM
I caught that video. You'd almost think way back when that those Grumman engineers  actually though someone might need to ditch their Avenger in the water and they so designed accordingly.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1084 on: April 21, 2021, 09:30:03 AM
Old man Grumman instilled quality in his workers. 
The aircrews called his factory the Grumman Iron Works.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1085 on: April 21, 2021, 09:59:02 AM
they've already pulled most of the plane out of the water and have it on a trailer to go back to the shop to get re-assembled

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1086 on: April 22, 2021, 03:16:06 PM
Hope it'll fly again soon. It's great that they keep these old warbirds flying, but it's sad when we lose one.

:(

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1087 on: April 25, 2021, 11:06:00 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1088 on: April 25, 2021, 12:27:21 PM
Great news!

The New England Air Museum (https://www.neam.org/home.php) is supposed to bring back Open Cockpit events soon as well!

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #1089 on: April 25, 2021, 03:25:26 PM
Our annual Offutt AFB air show is off until 2022 due to much needed runway work.

Good to see other areas coming back. Always a great way to spend a beautiful summer afternoon.  :bigthumb:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1090 on: May 22, 2021, 10:15:07 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #1091 on: May 22, 2021, 10:39:22 PM
 :bigthumb:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1092 on: May 22, 2021, 10:43:16 PM
Cool stuff.

Though I'd be a little worried if there was also a Martin Mariner waiting to follow them after takeoff. That whole thing didn't go so well the first time...  :(

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1093 on: May 23, 2021, 05:46:46 AM
I saw a similar one but with F4U's and that was totally awesome.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1094 on: May 25, 2021, 11:07:27 AM

The exuberance of youth.