Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Spring in Munich" Game time is...  (Read 55285 times)

Iconoclast

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 03:48:23 PM
0930 18 April 1809

I swear, next game I'm going to adapt "The Eagle Fights" tactical system to Table Top Simulator and have you guys game out the actual battles using that. I bet we could make it work.

I am in!

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 11:35:38 PM
1030 18 April 1809

Today will be a busy, busy day.

Apologies for the longer then normal delay between turns. I've been fighting off a stomach flu, and we had some players who had met up and were discussing plans. If you are one of those players, I need orders from you based on your discussion...

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:27 PM
I'm still waiting on orders for the next turn from some players. Next turn tomorrow, so if you haven't updated me as to what your corps is doing, I'll assume your earlier orders are still in effect.

Please get me new orders if you expect something different to happen, particularly if you were just part of a conference of commanders that decided a strategy. I will still need your orders to your divisions as to how your corps intends to carry out what was decided.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 10:41:25 PM
1130 18 April 1809

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 09:43:49 PM
Hey all - we had some late orders, some of which I didn't get forwarded on until this evening. We'll be advancing the clock tomorrow evening. If you have any orders for the 1230 18 April turn, please get them to me ASAP if you haven't already.

If all goes well and I don't freeze here, we'll shoot for another turn Friday. I'd like to get things galloping along here a bit faster.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 11:14:11 PM
1230 18 April

Well, definitely an eventful hour! Please get me any orders you have for 1330 ASAP. We will run another turn Friday.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 10:40:45 PM
1330 18 April 1809

Thanks to everyone for sending their orders in. Shooting for another turn Monday, though if it looks like everyone has responded earlier, I may go ahead Sunday.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 07:58:52 PM
We have some players that are pretty familiar with 19th Century operations, and some others that are pretty new to them. While there are some truly excellent books on the various Napoleonic campaigns, not the least of which is John Gill's trilogy on the very campaign we're playing, it may be that some of you might find the American Civil War more accessible in terms of understanding how these campaigns were conducted.

If so, I recommend trying out Maryland Campaign of September 1862: Volume 1, South Mountain by Ezra Carman and Thomas Clemens. Carman was a participant in the campaign and war who later spent much of his life compiling the definitive history of the campaign. Carman's manuscript was cleaned up and annotated recently by Clemens. The book both describes the activities of both armies in a way that will feel familiar to players of this game, and includes numerous written dispatches and orders between the various commanders. Reading this would likely be very helpful in understand what's going on in the game.

https://www.amazon.com/Maryland-Campaign-September-1862-Mountain-ebook/dp/B0042VJ1LM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549241382&sr=8-2&keywords=the+maryland+campaign

Next turn tomorrow night. Enjoy your SportsBall this evening!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 08:16:37 PM
Hehehe...John Gill....

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 08:40:31 PM
John H. Gill in this case, not Star Trek John Gill.  :2funny:

He's a player on the Austrian side in Cyrano's game, btw...

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 08:46:12 PM
Speaking of reading, our campaign, and John Gill - all three volumes of his trilogy, Thunder on the Danube are going for the ridiculous price of between $1.30 and $1.99 on Kindle right now. Given that the hardback of just the first volume is priced at $136, this is clearly a steal. If you haven't read these and you at all interested in the subject, I mean even a little, grab these now for a total of less than $5.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=1809+Thunder+on+the+Danube

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 08:50:12 PM
Damn, I'm in at that price. Thanks!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 08:53:52 PM
These are really good. Probably the best English language work on this campaign available.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #43 on: February 04, 2019, 09:35:51 PM
1430 18 April 1809

We're cruisin' now! Keep those orders coming. Next turn Wednesday. If we're moving faster than you can keep up now, please let me know so we can adjust the pace. Otherwise I'm going to try and keep things are a turn every two to three days.

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:05 PM
A:  The books are essential.

B:  Yeah, having the dude in my game is no pressure.  No pressure at all.  Although he's a very fine fellow and, as Jason can tell you, issued the funniest KS order of all time.  I will defend this.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor