Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Classic World of Warcraft  (Read 3322 times)

Pelenise

on: October 03, 2019, 07:28:29 AM
As some of you  know I play WoW, I have just been playing Classic Wow,  'strewth, never died so much in my avatars life, a poor mage, level 15, blasting away with her frost spells, (be glad when I can go fire, but no good in the first expansion.)  I do have a Holy Priest, but unfortunately she died more then the mage.  I'm enjoying the game its so different to the retail game now,  the respawn rate is slow.

Still enjoying the retail Wow, it survived 15 yrs , so there must be something in the game to attract 5 million people,  I can now put my hand on my heart and say, I am not addicted.  I must admit I was once.

The picture are of Pallise,  a  Human frost mage of level 15 who comes from a small village in Westfall,  called Moonbrook.  Pelenise a Draenei who is level 120 Fire Mage comes from Azuremyst Isle a village called Azure Watch.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:47:24 AM by Pelenise »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:48:20 AM
You play WoW?

..who knew...............

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:57:30 AM
I know some friends that are adamant that Classic WoW is the only way to go

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:00:53 AM
https://medium.com/@seachels/how-bad-design-made-vanilla-wow-a-classic-8498ff2518ea

On the other hand, it’s kind of remarkable that it rose to such popularity in the first place. In retrospect, especially with the benefit of modern eyes, vanilla WoW is a mess. Why did we had to trek on foot for half an hour to even start a dungeon? Why were critical quests hidden away in obscure corners that were difficult to find without outside guides? Why were whole specializations of numerous classes completely useless in competitive play? Why were whole endgame zones almost completely empty? We might not have questioned these things at the time, but we sure as heck can question them now, particularly in light of vanilla WoW’s enduring popularity.

Many of these things are just terrible design, and were the result of mix-ups late in WoW’s design process and not the conscious intent of WoW’s designers. I’ve played WoW for many thousands of hours over the years, almost since its earliest beginnings, and I remember celebrating many of the changes to WoW’s clunkier systems at the time. And yet, having revisited vanilla WoW via one of the aforementioned private servers, I can’t help but admit that I enjoy that world — for all its problems — more than I enjoy WoW’s current incarnation. In short, I argue that vanilla WoW is great not in spite of, but in part because of, these terrible design choices.

So, without further ado, let’s take a while and explore how bad decisions made a great game what it was. Buckle in — this is a long one.

good article follows...

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Pelenise

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:36:25 PM
https://medium.com/@seachels/how-bad-design-made-vanilla-wow-a-classic-8498ff2518ea

On the other hand, it’s kind of remarkable that it rose to such popularity in the first place. In retrospect, especially with the benefit of modern eyes, vanilla WoW is a mess. Why did we had to trek on foot for half an hour to even start a dungeon? Why were critical quests hidden away in obscure corners that were difficult to find without outside guides? Why were whole specializations of numerous classes completely useless in competitive play? Why were whole endgame zones almost completely empty? We might not have questioned these things at the time, but we sure as heck can question them now, particularly in light of vanilla WoW’s enduring popularity.

Many of these things are just terrible design, and were the result of mix-ups late in WoW’s design process and not the conscious intent of WoW’s designers. I’ve played WoW for many thousands of hours over the years, almost since its earliest beginnings, and I remember celebrating many of the changes to WoW’s clunkier systems at the time. And yet, having revisited vanilla WoW via one of the aforementioned private servers, I can’t help but admit that I enjoy that world — for all its problems — more than I enjoy WoW’s current incarnation. In short, I argue that vanilla WoW is great not in spite of, but in part because of, these terrible design choices.

So, without further ado, let’s take a while and explore how bad decisions made a great game what it was. Buckle in — this is a long one.

good article follows...

I agree.  The run from the graveyard to where I have died is a long way,  fp's are roughly 1 per section,  but we just shrugged and got on with it,  we didn't know any better until they put extra fp's and graveyards in.  We have to find the flight paths too, not like the recent expansions, where you have them,  we cannot use a mount until we level 40,  where now its level 20, some things have changed for the better, but also the worse.  I hear the young ones moan about how hard it is to kill bosses in the dungeons,  there are tactics ie  crowd control.  Mages can sheep,  rogues can stun.  The tactics are different in classic,  as I say learn your aviator's spec.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 01:50:23 PM
We both stared playing the Original WoW not long after it came out. I've not played it several years, but was quite tempted by 'Classic'.

The constant 'dumbing-down' of the game was one of the aspects that really put me off playing.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'