Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 171789 times)

judgedredd

Reply #630 on: May 25, 2020, 10:27:05 AM
Last one for today.

Your think I haven't read the rules, but I've read them through one and I've referenced each section as I come to our in the game...but I'm unsure about this

When a unit attacks a hex with 2 units in it, what if the save dice and required rolls are different?

For example a T62 (save dice=3 + required roll=6) with BMP-1 (save dice=1 + required roll=5).

Does the player get to choose what unit to use as the save roll check?

And presumably if the attacking player was using HE, then he'd only be able to stack the BMP and so the defending player wouldn't get to choose which save rolls to use?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #631 on: May 25, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
When you attack a stack you get to choose the target, as long as the weapon type you are suing can attack it.

So in your example you are correct, an HE attack against that stack would only be able to target the BMP.

But is an M-1 was attacking, it could choose either the T-62 or the BMP.
Now, the best choice for the target, in this case would be the BMP because it's easier to kill and any "overflow" hits will automatically be tallied against the T-62.
So, it's not always, read: rarely, a good idea to stack weaker units with stronger ones....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #632 on: May 25, 2020, 11:06:06 AM
Thanks BH. I wasn't selecting a target...just the tip one.

Choosing a target is the key ingredient I was missing here

:bigthumb:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #633 on: May 25, 2020, 11:08:43 AM
So, it's not always, read: rarely, a good idea to stack weaker units with stronger ones....

So much this.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #634 on: May 25, 2020, 11:18:48 AM

So much this.

Yeah, in fact the only units that should be stacked are Pact heavy armour as they can then use the "volley fire" tactic. For everybody else it just leads to the second unit taking hits without saves....

judgedredd

Reply #635 on: May 31, 2020, 09:00:07 AM
This is a superb game. The more I play, the more I want to play.

A couple of things that bug me - really, really minor things
  • Attached Units
    On bigger battles, it can be somewhat confusing to keep track of the additional assets for each formation because they've just got grey stripes
  • Ops Complete
    I'd really like the Ops Complete counters to be smaller. Again, on big battles, having to pick up lots of Ops Complete counters to find out where your formation is can be a pain. Perhaps I'm spreading my units too far - but sometimes you've got to keep your formation moving even if it means they move apart

I think the Ops Complete counters for the original were smaller
  • HQ Counters
    I wish the values were on the HQ counters. There's space. I know you can have the scenario booklet open. I know they're fairly standard. it would just be handy

That is all. Like I said - very minor - just little things that nip occasionally when I play. But such a good game and the rules are getting solid now. I'm having to refer less to the manual.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #636 on: May 31, 2020, 12:32:02 PM
It really is a solid system. And the scenarios are fun and interesting.

I’m playing the second monster from Defence of Frankfurt with NATO on the attack. Great fun.  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #637 on: May 31, 2020, 03:12:59 PM
I'm just having a cracking time playing scenarios. I've not even considered the campaign or defense of Frankfurt

judgedredd

Reply #638 on: June 02, 2020, 05:05:09 PM

I’m playing the second monster from Defence of Frankfurt with NATO on the attack. Great fun.  :bigthumb:
How do you go with identifying units under Ops Complete markers when they activate - especially in such a big scenario?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #639 on: June 02, 2020, 05:21:41 PM

How do you go with identifying units under Ops Complete markers when they activate - especially in such a big scenario?

I try to place the Ops Complete markers turned 45 degrees to the stack. That will allow some of the colour strip to show.
Mostly though, I end up just trying to remember where a formation is and moving a few OC markers to check.
I don’t really find it a problem wth the board game.
On VASSAL though I really don’t like the OC markers to be the same size as the counters. There they should be 1/2 size or smaller.

Weird that it bothered more on th digital copy than the physical.....

judgedredd

Reply #640 on: June 03, 2020, 01:29:26 AM

I try to place the Ops Complete markers turned 45 degrees to the stack. That will allow some of the colour strip to show.
Mostly though, I end up just trying to remember where a formation is and moving a few OC markers to check.
I don’t really find it a problem wth the board game.
On VASSAL though I really don’t like the OC markers to be the same size as the counters. There they should be 1/2 size or smaller.

Weird that it bothered more on th digital copy than the physical.....
Maybe because as you say - on the physical copy you turn the counter 45 degrees which allows you to mostly get a handle on the unit underneath when the digital version doesn't allow that.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #641 on: June 03, 2020, 06:22:09 AM
Can you mod the VASSAL counters so they're turned 45deg as well?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #642 on: June 03, 2020, 06:27:03 AM
Can you mod the VASSAL counters so they're turned 45deg as well?

If (read: when) I mod the VASSAL counters, all the admin ones will be half size.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #643 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:22 AM
 :bigthumb:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #644 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:25 AM
I've just looked and noticed that there's an option to use a small version of the Ops Complete. You have to edit the module and select nthe properties for the Ops Complete counter.

I didn't see any option for the Out of Command counter.

I don't know how else to get to the graphics resources...I assume they're in the vmod file?