Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: COMBAT!  (Read 32555 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #105 on: December 18, 2019, 05:36:52 PM
Nice work!

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #106 on: December 18, 2019, 06:32:52 PM
+1  :rockon:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #107 on: December 19, 2019, 03:20:22 AM
Thank you  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #108 on: December 20, 2019, 04:59:26 AM
This was posted by at Boardgamegeek
As just one example, one of my guys (the medic no less!) made a lucky shot from 16 hexes away at an enemy soldier who was sneaking in the open towards a building, lightly wounding him. The next time my guy fired, he shot at the same guy and rolled the exact same roll, but this time he missed by 1. Why? Because when the enemy soldier took that light wound, he crapped his pants and went from sneaking to hiding, which makes him harder to hit in the open! In most games, the AI soldier would be either dead or alive, maybe wounded, but you sure as hell wouldn't be tracking his current orders/stance, not to mention his morale level.
and I alluded to the same thing in my write up. I just couldn't understand why a soldier would have an Aimed Fire order when he had no "eyes on" and I thought the same thing as the guy on BGG - the hexes are 20 yards - he's heard firing and he's alert (for Aimed Fire) or taken cover (for Hide).

I had a German soldier last night in my game. All the German soldiers were unprepared and "waiting" so do not get any orders until Allied forces are spotted or shooting happens. When spotting did occur (on the first turn) and shooting did happen (on the second turn), out of the 5 turns in the scenario, the German soldier twice had an Aimed Fire order and once had a  Hide order. Given the scale of the maps (20m per hex I believe) it made perfect sense he's take an alert (Aimed Fire) stance and a Hide order - perhaps firing was closer or he just got nervous.

It's these little nuggets that really help to make this game special.

I honestly can't stop playing at the moment - at the detriment of my modelling, other boar gaming and computer gaming. I can see expansions being bought straight off the shelf. Oh - and the designer has already mentioned Combat!2 in a post over at BGG. He was looking for play testers back in early November.

The thread is here if you're interested (though you'll have to print the components yourself for testing). He may still be recruiting.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2319308/call-play-testers

judgedredd

Reply #109 on: December 20, 2019, 03:14:53 PM
I'm going to hang up my writing boots.

We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
Unboxing and Initial Impressions for Combat!
Reasons:
40% Irrelevant
60% Spam
40% Poor Structure

I linked to the articles - I'm hoping it's because I linked to the articles rather than posted them? I don't know, but it was a kick in the bollox  :2funny:

Irrelevant? Spam? I can acknowledge poor structure, but still.  :ROFL:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #110 on: December 20, 2019, 04:07:37 PM
if you look in the web links on the actual game listing, your articles are there :)

(now, they need to correct the link on the 2nd listing - it just repeated the link from the first one - but the correction is already submitted)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #111 on: December 23, 2019, 02:03:24 AM
I played Intro Scenario 3 the other day...didn't "keep" reading the Special Rules and so didn't quite get the details of using C4 charges.

I thought they exploded at the end of the scenario, so I piled in as many troops as I could to plant C4. 2 soldiers got there in  turn 4. On turn 5 I gave them a plan order (which you need to when you start the turn so the following turn they get to plant the C4...so that was 2xC4 planted. I then moved, in that turn, 3 more soldiers into the hex so I could give them a Plan order the following turn (6) and plant more C4 on turn 7 (the last turn).

When I read the rules, I realised the C4 explodes at the END of the turn it was planted. On turn 3 of my soldiers had gone into the emplacement to plant C4...2 dead and 1 badly injured.

I hung up my commission and ran away.  :Loser:

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #112 on: September 21, 2023, 06:57:23 PM
#UnboxingDay ~ Combat! Volume 1 (2nd Printing) by Compass Games
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/unbox/unbox-combat2nd/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #113 on: September 21, 2023, 08:28:43 PM
I bought that game in April when I visited the Compleat Strategist in NYC.  I found it too similar to ASL -- although much less fiddly and very playable -- so I'm going to stick with ASL. 

I'm selling my punched but very good shape of Combat! if anyone is interested.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #114 on: September 22, 2023, 10:42:18 AM
I very nearly put this in my shopping basket after getting rid of it over 2 years(?) ago

But I've held back at the moment.  :silly:

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #115 on: September 29, 2023, 08:23:53 AM
Just put this back on my table. Playing the Defend the Village scenario. It starts with an enemy 105 barrage on my village... which promptly injured 2 guys and outright killed CPL Stinson when a shell landed at his feet.
Not a good start.

Great fun!  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #116 on: September 29, 2023, 10:33:43 AM
outright killed CPL Stinson when a shell landed at his feet.

d'oh!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #117 on: September 29, 2023, 09:10:55 PM
outright killed CPL Stinson when a shell landed at his feet.

d'oh!

Hard to walk that one off.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa