Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: [Avalon Digital] Battles for Spain  (Read 2651 times)

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
on: August 05, 2019, 10:28:07 PM
Hello everone,

last weekend I learnt and got my hands on this offer by Avalon Digital, developed by Headquarter (who did Espana 1936 and the Engrish Civil War games for AGEOD)

https://avalon-digital.com/en/news/battles-spain-release

I had precisely zero intel on this and came up as quite a surprise. Card-driven area-based operational games can be quite interesting. I am thinking of the board-based offering by fellow spaniards, and generally underrated "Roads to Stalingrad"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40243/campaign-commander-volume-i-roads-stalingrad 

The WAW games are curious but the absence of PBEM made them not very interesting. I took it out for a quick swirl in one of the 4 - all of them very interesting - battles of the Spanish Civil War, that of Guadalajara, in early 1937. My initial thoughts is that the UI is still jarring (jeez, those are really huge buttons). There is also too little chrome for a computer-based war game (there's really no excuse for using undecipherable abbreviations when clicking through unit details, it feels like reading an old medieval text where the scribe snipped all the vowels to save space). But the gameplay was surprisingly satisfying and dynamic - not unlike the better AGEOD games of old but turn based.

Has anybody tried this (or knew about it)? What are your thoughts? Note that I am far from "recommending" it to anyone at this stage - Headquarter has in my book a spotty record of releasing broken, unfixable games.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:38:48 PM
I kickstarted their Carrier Battles game. They seem to do some interesting stuff.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres