Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles: Ares loses licence agreement  (Read 3730 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Well this sucks.  I think the rules system is very good.  I hope they can convert the base game into their own, in house sci fi minis system.  Shame they never got the ships from the original series out.  They were originally slated to be released for Christmas but got delayed because of the virus.

Ares Games is very sorry to announce the Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles combat miniature game is going to be discontinued, due to the end of the license agreement with Universal Brand Development. The contract is due to expire on December 31st and all negotiations to extend it failed to reach a satisfactory outcome.

The expansion Faster Than Light and the Additional Counter Set, announced for early 2021, will be released only as free downloadable PDFs, and no further models will be released. Sales of existing inventory will continue until June 30th, 2021.

The end of the game represents a significant loss to us – not just because of the loss of all developed models in the pipeline, now canceled, and of all the work we dedicated to the project for several years - but also because we will not be able to provide to the dedicated player's community which supported the game the new releases they were waiting for.

Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles was launched in December 2018, when the Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles Starter Set was released, featuring four ready–to–play miniatures - two Colonial Vipers Mk. II and two Cylon Raiders. Three waves of Spaceship Packs followed, bringing all the main small ships in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series from 2003: Viper Mk.II, Viper Mk.VII, Cylon Raiders, Raptors and Heavy Raiders. The game received multiple awards, including UK Game Expo awards as best miniature rules and best miniature line, in 2019.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Looks like Slitherine/Matrix also lost their licence for the BSG: Deadlock PC game.

Guess the fact that the new TV series is coming out means they're cleaning house of the old IP.  That's too bad.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
You know, I wondered what was up when Black Lab said they weren't planning on a Season 3 for Deadlock.  I should've guessed it was Slitherine losing the license, as I was honestly pretty baffled why they wouldn't keep making content for what was obviously a successful game.  That is indeed a bummer.  :( 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Maybe Jar Jar Abrams could come in and save the franchise?  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Maybe they didn't need to reboot the goddamn thing and just leave it alone....

Not many shows out there are as well constructed as that one was

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Ares Games has a sale on all their BSG stuff.  I grabbed another base set.

Rumors are going around saying that Ares is in talks with Atomic Mass games   Atomic Mass just took over the Star Wars X-Wing, Armada, and Legion lines of games from FFG/Asmodee.  They might license the BSG engine for an existing or new space combat IP.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant

Of course, that what a lot of people were screaming when it was announced that they were going to do a reboot.  Glad they weren't listened to.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio

Of course, that what a lot of people were screaming when it was announced that they were going to do a reboot.  Glad they weren't listened to.

Maybe. I thought the original one was trying too hard to ride the Star Wars coattails and was actually looking forward to the reboot.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Ares has released a PnP version of the expansion they were planning to release this quarter before they lost the licence.  Good on them for releasing it.  Shame that the series got canned.  It looks like a first-rate expansion.

https://www.aresgames.eu/27900