Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thrones of Britannia  (Read 32843 times)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #150 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:21 AM
I did not know that info about Jack Lusted. I always loved his mods for M2TW. Now I feel extra guilty that I still have not played Three Kingdoms yet :/

The 1212 mod for Attila comes first, though.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #151 on: August 06, 2021, 09:55:12 AM
No need to feel bad, there are only so many hours in a day.  Three Kingdoms will still be there when you're ready for it.  ;) 

Have fun with the 1212 mod! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #152 on: August 06, 2021, 01:24:08 PM
1212 is such a giant overhaul it's a bit overwhelming/intimidating.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #153 on: August 06, 2021, 01:48:35 PM
Just consider it MTW3 but with no tutorial or manual

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #154 on: August 06, 2021, 02:56:59 PM
Tutorials and manuals are for losers anyway :)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #155 on: August 06, 2021, 08:06:36 PM
My ongoing assumption is computer games no longer have game manuals.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #156 on: August 06, 2021, 08:37:14 PM
^In all seriousness, Imperiums: Greek Wars, as an example,  has a great PDF manual, but I think it’s the exception rather than the rule.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #157 on: August 06, 2021, 09:54:56 PM
Yeah, actual manuals are rare these days. 

I still have this awful temptation to purchase WITE2 -- despite knowing I'd probably never get around to playing that beast -- simply because it comes with that wonderfully extensive manual. 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #158 on: August 22, 2021, 03:42:34 PM
Confession time. I keep trying to get into this game but end up feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure what do at times. I like what I'm seeing but feel like I'm missing some really basic concepts about supply/economy as well as my strategic goals. Not sure if anyone has tips or some links to guides explaining key concepts. I'm not looking for a guide on how to "beat" the game but how to play it so it tells the story I know is in there somewhere.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #159 on: August 22, 2021, 04:33:43 PM
After looking at UCG's posts in the 'screenshots' thread, I was also wondering if there was a good 'How To' guide or video out there as well. I have a few Total War games and was thinking of starting a game with this one.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #160 on: August 22, 2021, 04:40:29 PM
You haven't got time for that sort thing; you have far too many games to catch up on  ::)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #161 on: August 22, 2021, 04:49:55 PM
True, that's probably why I didn't much past the wondering part.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #162 on: August 23, 2021, 07:18:01 PM
Confession time. I keep trying to get into this game but end up feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure what do at times. I like what I'm seeing but feel like I'm missing some really basic concepts about supply/economy as well as my strategic goals. Not sure if anyone has tips or some links to guides explaining key concepts. I'm not looking for a guide on how to "beat" the game but how to play it so it tells the story I know is in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, most guides for Thrones I've come across are either very basic (beginner's tips/"for noobs") or are of the "how to win" variety -- there doesn't seem to be much in between.  :-\ 

What areas are you struggling with/overwhelmed by, exactly?  I mean, I can tell you right off the bat that it's a good idea to focus on improvements that increase your food output and/or army supply (especially in the early game), that you generally want to upgrade a province's main settlement's unique building chain as soon as you can reasonably afford it, etc.  That's still pretty broad advice, though.  If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help as best I can. 

As for strategic goals, most folks aim to establish one of the kingdoms (England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland), depending on which faction they're playing as.  So Mide and Dyflin are both looking to "become" Ireland, Mierce --> England, Circenn --> Scotland, etc. 

Personally, I often also identify a faction or two that I think needs to be eliminated.  I often find that in the process of taking out these factions, I end up furthering my goal of establishing the larger kingdom as well -- that, or I lose gloriously and go down in flames, which is also fun.  :P 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #163 on: August 23, 2021, 08:45:46 PM

Unfortunately, most guides for Thrones I've come across are either very basic (beginner's tips/"for noobs") or are of the "how to win" variety -- there doesn't seem to be much in between.  :-\ 

What areas are you struggling with/overwhelmed by, exactly?  I mean, I can tell you right off the bat that it's a good idea to focus on improvements that increase your food output and/or army supply (especially in the early game), that you generally want to upgrade a province's main settlement's unique building chain as soon as you can reasonably afford it, etc.  That's still pretty broad advice, though.  If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help as best I can. 

Seems like I've found those same guides.  :)

I think settlement management and diplomacy seem to just be a struggle and I can't figure out what I should be focusing when developing a province.

Also, for whatever reason the UI just doesn't seem to click with me.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #164 on: August 23, 2021, 08:47:51 PM
^Try the in-game encyclopedia. In the TW games since Rome 2 they have been very detailed and you can spend 50 hours just going through them if you wanted to. They're also user friendly and easy to navigate.