Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Dune: Spice Wars  (Read 17500 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2022, 10:29:19 AM
I'm not at the point with it where its high on my want list, which is a bit of a disappointment.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 04:47:59 AM
Mutliplayer has been added: 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1605220/announcements/detail/3334366421569375901

The game is also currently available at a 20% discount (not part of the Steam sale: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605220/Dune_Spice_Wars/

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 07:05:36 AM
Oh, sod it. I may have my misgivings but I'm struggling to be inspired by much in the Steam sale and my whole body craves for more Dune stuff, so I think I'm going to buy this today.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 08:48:38 AM
I'm still on the fence with this, but it is starting to sound better.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 09:00:37 AM
Well, I did buy it so I'll post my own impressions later.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 09:16:02 AM
Good man, Huw. I knew we could rely on you  ;D

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 09:57:16 AM
Good man, Huw. I knew we could rely on you  ;D

What, to buy every game on Steam even if I don't like the look of them?  :silly:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 09:59:21 AM
Well, more-or-less, yes. We'll let you off with the occasional one though.  ;D

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 05:50:36 PM
OK, well, initial impressions are actually more positive than I was expecting. I've only played for about 50 minutes so far so tip of the iceberg and all that...

It feels like Northgard meets Endless Space. Unless I'm mistaken, there are significantly more resources in Dune and lots of things to keep track of. I didn't play Northgard a great deal but what I saw of it was very much on rails, but Dune seems more free and open in comparison. Lots of units, agents, vehicles and buildings have various traits which all affect a surprising array of stats elsewhere, and I can see a game getting pretty complex, but in a pretty good way.

It feels pretty good to play. Unit selection and orders are simple enough. Map control is fine, and it does that modern thing of zooming out to a certain level unless you "force" it and it zooms out to show the whole map. Units behave well and have decent pathfinding and have nice little speech files that play when you tell them what to do (reminiscent of Dune 2000 actually).

Criticisms so far: when units are fighting it's way too hard to see how the battle is going. Most of the information is either in the unit's banner or on the info box you get by clicking a banner - but in the melee all the banners cluster together making things very confusing. Also I rarely say this but the soundtrack is too understated. What I heard of it sounded alright but it's so quiet. I want it louder and a bit more dynamic to give a game based on Dune the pomp it deserves.

Also the map at first glance seemed small, however it does look big enough to accommodate a large number of regions so I might be jumping the gun there.

Anyway, pretty pleasantly surprised so far! I'd say if you're a fan of Northgard or the Endless games, or a big fan of Dune and real time strategy in general, this is worth getting. I'll post more detailed impressions later.

judgedredd

Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 02:28:48 AM
 :bigthumb:

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #40 on: June 25, 2022, 05:24:41 AM
I'm planning to put a lot more time into this over the weekend so more detailed impressions will follow, but I forgot to say one thing: it really doesn't feel like early access at all. It's polished to a high sheen and as far as I can tell the game looks fully playable. This seems to be more of an "adding features" kind of early access as opposed to "the game will work one day" kind.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #41 on: June 25, 2022, 05:27:56 AM
I really appreciate the write-up/early impressions, Huw.  Your words encourage me. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #42 on: June 25, 2022, 10:39:52 AM
I really appreciate the write-up/early impressions, Huw.  Your words encourage me and no doubt I'll be buying it very soon.

FTFY

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #43 on: June 25, 2022, 12:04:08 PM
 ;D

You're next, Bob. I'm going to convince you to buy Songs of Conquest.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 02:02:13 PM
Honestly mate, I don't think I would take a lot of convincing. I certainly feel more positive about it that I did at first.