Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Doctor Quest's Prop Shop  (Read 9559 times)

judgedredd

Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 03:34:48 AM
Excellent finish though - well done Doc

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 04:41:56 AM
I'll leave it at that. Nothing is more boring that listening to someone talk about an obscure hobby.  :idiot2:

Dude.  This is not your first time here.  You know better
  :hug:
Hoi as the 'Chinese SKS' of mine does have its 'Bayonet' AND "200"-rounds-capacity 'Bandoleer'-! I wanted to get a 'Chinese Sword/Swagger-stick' and 'Officer's Cap'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 06:25:32 AM
I can't recall any of the characters in 'Firefly' brandishing an SKS, be it Chinese, Yugo, or otherwise.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 06:58:00 AM
I suspect the box cover was painted in a different style than Dr. Quest chose to do on his model. It's not false advertising. You see the same thing with miniatures for example. The miniatures painted on a box are often different from how a hobbyist will paint them. Many factors like color choice, skill, art style, etc..are at play.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 09:52:50 AM
^Yes, it is a lot like the "serving suggestion" text on food packages. No, you are not buying an entire salad, you are only buying the salad dressing.

To be honest I don't know where the box photo came from. That is part of the problem with this hobby. You don't always find consistent photographs of the props to use as examples. Part of THAT problem is that real prop shops will produce a variety of the same prop depending on its use. Extremely detailed "hero" props for close ups to cheap rubber props for stunt work, extras and long shots. They may not all be finished the same way if they are finished at all.

I saw a stunt prop used by Harrison Ford that looked like crap sell for a lot of money simply because it could be authenticated as a real Star Wars production prop. Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 09:59:45 AM by Doctor Quest »

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 08:39:41 PM
I can't recall any of the characters in 'Firefly' brandishing an SKS, be it Chinese, Yugo, or otherwise.
Hoi again as the 'Firearm Contraption' that "Steve McQueen" holstered in "Wanted: Dead or Alive" was initially designed by the 'artiste': Kenny “Von Dutch” Howard--the "Flying Eyeball" dude-! They wanted a 'Gun' very different/distinguished from any others, in order to 'provide' BEST "coolness -factor" of the main character-! They had '3'-versions, in fact, for usages of differing purpose, as the current 'Episode' might demand/entail.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 09:25:39 PM
Not sure how we got from SKS to here but that there's a Henry 'Mare's Leg', also carried by the Firefly character Zoe. You can actually buy one in different calibers:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mares-leg/

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 09:43:54 PM
Here is a good guide to the various "Firefly" weapons.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly

Most of them are unmodified "real" firearms. Captain Mal's pistol and Jayne's Le Mat pistol are probably the most heavily modified. They all seem to use cartridge type ammunition. They are not plasma or "energy" weapons.

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 09:48:00 PM
^ I just spent the last 20 minutes at that site after googling pix for the Mare's Leg. Talk about rabbit holes... lots and lots of movie firearms stuff.  :o

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 09:52:06 PM
Tell me about it. Where do you think I do most of my prop research?   :nerd:

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 10:09:31 PM

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 10:31:02 PM
^HA!

I could also spend most of my retirement doing Jo's weapon collection from "Eureka".

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 10:37:38 PM